Conservatives love serial sexual harassers

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
What I can't wrap my mind around is that O'Reilly is a champion of traditional moral values, and that his fans claim to hold these values dear, and yet his fans aren't leaving him when he demonstrates that he is a sexual predator. What does this say about the morality of his fans?
They use the same mental gymnastics that they've been taught and practiced their entire lives to rationalize it.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
Bill is a god fearing man who loves Jesus and attacks "liburls" so he is forgiven for his personal transgressions.
So was that the same thinking that gave Bill C a pass? Bill is a god fearing man who loves Jesus and attacks "Conservatives" so he is forgiven for his personal transgressions. When do we start assigning blame and punishment to the crime and not the person?

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
So was that the same thinking that gave Bill C a pass? Bill is a god fearing man who loves Jesus and attacks "Conservatives" so he is forgiven for his personal transgressions. When do we start assigning blame and punishment to the crime and not the person?

Bill C was a shit as well when it came to women. So are you all ready to give Bill O a pass now for that reason? Between the two I think Bill O's conduct is worse since he was essentially using it as a casting couch.

ymmv

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Let us not forget Carlos Danger.
Maybe a BilllyC/Carlos stack could equal a BillO in terms of *degeneration.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Let us not forget Carlos Danger.
Maybe a BilllyC/Carlos stack could equal a BillO in terms of *degeneration.

Yes and Athony Weiner has paid and is continuing to pay for his misdeeds.... including the possibility of going to jail. If he was knowingly sexting minors, he should spend some time in a cage. What does have to do with O'Reilly?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Both Bill Clinton and Bill O'Reilly have exhibited terrible behavior. No one is letting either off the hook.

But there are two key differences: first, it's 20 years later. People were (unfortunately) more tolerant of this conduct in the 1990s and before. However, it's 2017... there is no excuse for not only continuing to be a sexist asshole, but to receive the defenses of your employer, your viewers and the President in the process.

The other part is simply that there's a level of hypocrisy in O'Reilly that wasn't present with Clinton. Sure, Clinton had to do the usual politician's song and dance to pretend he was devoutly religious (since, sadly, it's hard for agnostics/atheists to get elected), but his presidency was not staked on sex-oriented morality. However, O'Reilly is a figurehead for Fox News, which slavishly toes the Republican line on a prudish kind of sexual morality. He's supposed to be the shining beacon of restraint, not classic sexist horndog behavior wrapped in a different suit.

Last edited:

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
Bill C was a shit as well when it came to women. So are you all ready to give Bill O a pass now for that reason? Between the two I think Bill O's conduct is worse since he was essentially using it as a casting couch.

ymmv
Not sure how you got that I wanted a pass for Bill O. My point is that they BOTH should be in jail. But to say that a celebrity doing the same thing as the president of the most powerful nation in the world is a worse crime is a bit of a stretch. Toss in perjury for said crimes and I'm not sure, ohh wait that's right, it was a personal matter that should not have gone as far as it did.

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
Both Bill Clinton and Bill O'Reilly have exhibited terrible behavior. No one is letting either off the hook.

But there are two key differences: first, it's 20 years later. People were (unfortunately) more tolerant of this conduct in the 1990s and before. However, it's 2017... there is no excuse for not only continuing to be a sexist asshole, but to receive the defenses of your employer, your viewers and the President in the process.

The other part is simply that there's a level of hypocrisy in O'Reilly that wasn't present with Clinton. Sure, Clinton had to do the usual politician's song and dance to pretend he was devoutly religious (since, sadly, it's hard for agnostics/atheists to get elected), but his presidency was not staked on sex-oriented morality. However, O'Reilly is a figurehead for Fox News, which slavishly toes the Republican line on a prudish kind of sexual morality. He's supposed to be the shining beacon of restraint, not classic sexist horndog behavior wrapped in a different suit.

So you're defending the behaviour of Trump and his pussy grabbing because of the timing, or did public opinion (and yours) change just before the 2000's? You're saying that because in the 90s it was looked at as boys being boys, and the 2000's people should know better. Was that because of what Bill C did or are you reasoning away what Bill C did because you defended him then and can't equate what he did with the current resident of the White House or some and some wacko talk show host? How does using your power over some to get sexual favors vary in criminality depending on who or what you are? Remove the names look at the crime and assign punishment. When people defend their guy even in the face of overwhelming evidence, it does nothing but reduces the power of their voice when the other side does it. Proclaiming so admittedly that what Bill C did was so long ago and not part of the discussion, is saying that if Bill O just ignores this for a few years it will go away and no one will care. There is a good bit of logic to the old saying; those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. It also stands that those who learn from history are able to able to repeat it as well, for good or bad.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Not sure how you got that I wanted a pass for Bill O. My point is that they BOTH should be in jail. But to say that a celebrity doing the same thing as the president of the most powerful nation in the world is a worse crime is a bit of a stretch. Toss in perjury for said crimes and I'm not sure, ohh wait that's right, it was a personal matter that should not have gone as far as it did.

I think you missed the difference between harassment and assault. Star investigated the hell out of Bill C and there were not grounds for criminal charges. I haven't read were Bill O assaulted women either.

Moral failings found in both men, but I think you need a lot more evidence to make them both into criminals.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Are either of of those two things legal?

Sexual harassment in the workplace is a civil not criminal matter sexual assault is a criminal matter. One costs you shit tons of money the other gets you a small room with a new friend named bubba.

Are you really this ignorant or just trolling at this point?

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
Sexual harassment in the workplace is a civil not criminal matter sexual assault is a criminal matter. One costs you shit tons of money the other gets you a small room with a new friend named bubba.

Are you really this ignorant or just trolling at this point?

So Bill O is guilty of harassment and Bill C was guilty of sexual assault? I am NOT trolling, I am just trying to figure out the mental gymnastics of the supporters on both sides of the isle. Bill O used sex to advance or deny jobs, Bill C used a 21 year old intern as a personal ho, (used sex to advance or deny jobs) then lied about it under oath. How are either of these thing a civil matter?

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
So Bill O is guilty of harassment and Bill C was guilty of sexual assault? I am NOT trolling, I am just trying to figure out the mental gymnastics of the supporters on both sides of the isle. Bill O used sex to advance or deny jobs, Bill C used a 21 year old intern as a personal ho, (used sex to advance or deny jobs) then lied about it under oath. How are either of these thing a civil matter?

I never said either was guilty of assault nor said either should be in jail. You are welcome to go do your own research into the legal system.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
So you're defending the behaviour of Trump and his pussy grabbing because of the timing, or did public opinion (and yours) change just before the 2000's? You're saying that because in the 90s it was looked at as boys being boys, and the 2000's people should know better. Was that because of what Bill C did or are you reasoning away what Bill C did because you defended him then and can't equate what he did with the current resident of the White House or some and some wacko talk show host? How does using your power over some to get sexual favors vary in criminality depending on who or what you are? Remove the names look at the crime and assign punishment. When people defend their guy even in the face of overwhelming evidence, it does nothing but reduces the power of their voice when the other side does it. Proclaiming so admittedly that what Bill C did was so long ago and not part of the discussion, is saying that if Bill O just ignores this for a few years it will go away and no one will care. There is a good bit of logic to the old saying; those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. It also stands that those who learn from history are able to able to repeat it as well, for good or bad.

As I said, neither is getting off the hook.

Here's the point: what Clinton did is bad, but O'Reilly has even less of an excuse. It's two decades later, and he's ostensibly part of the morality police. The only reason he hasn't been fired is because Fox News has a culture that tolerates and even embraces sexism as a matter of course.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
As I said, neither is getting off the hook.

Here's the point: what Clinton did is bad, but O'Reilly has even less of an excuse. It's two decades later, and he's ostensibly part of the morality police. The only reason he hasn't been fired is because Fox News has a culture that tolerates and even embraces sexism as a matter of course.

And that is a matter of objective fact at this point. There needs to be multi-billion dollar class action lawsuit against Fox News, something to send the message that this behavior won't be tolerated. Lets all band together and make Fox News moral again.

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Lets all band together make Fox News moral again.

I think it's beyond chemo at this point.

uio8Cxf.gif

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016

Not surprising the typical O'Reilly degenerates can't tell the difference between consensual/casual sex and what they & peers do.

How does it feel to help Fox & friends prey on women?

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
Not surprising the typical O'Reilly degenerates can't tell the difference between consensual/casual sex and what they & peers do.

So Monica's boss having her suck his dick in the Oval Office is perfectly OK with you and just an act of casual sex? But Bill O trying to get some hoochie is a degenerate? Sooooo where is the difference in your mind? Both of them had to have a similar thought; 'hey I wonder if she's into me, I bet I could get some of that!' So at this point they are both guilty of the same thing, nothing. I'm pretty sure we can agree on this. The next thing that happens is they let the hotties know they are interested in some extracurricular activity, while no real crime has happened, unless asking a girl out is now a crime if you're married and their boss. I am pretty sure we still are in agreement, yes? Over at the WH with Bill C, M shoves a cigar up her coochie while Bill C pulls his pud. While over at Fox, Juliet smacks Bill O's face and calls a lawyer. Here is where the difference is, now explain why there is a huge level of support for Bill C and not so much for Bill O. The only difference is the end result and of course the power level between a sitting president and a talk show host, would you not agree?

As for the degenerates comment, a) I've not watched a complete segment of O's show ever, just as I've never watched a left leaning talk show through to the end. So quit with the assumptions, unless you like looking like an ass. b) You seem to have forgotten Mel Reynolds and Barney Frank just to name two. There should be no R and D when it comes to violating someone, but people like you prefer to play favorites with your side. You do realize that they don't give a fuck about you right?

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011

President of the United States and an office intern - the disparity of power is so vast that many would argue that consensual sex is not really possible. Modern day feminists would agree that the disparity of workplace power trickles into feeding a gender imbalance of power as well, and that when the man pursues the relationship he is basically subjugating the woman. Eventually they will feel trapped and will not be able to break the relationship off, and then it turns into harassment. Bill Clinton saying he did not have sexual relations with that woman, puts her in a terrible position, coming forward is defying the POTUS. This is how predators like Bill C and Bill O are able to flourish, they use their stature to quash any disgruntled women they leave in their wake. It's disgusting.

I commend you for holding Bill O to account, but it is shameful that you are not able to realize what happened with Bill C. I feel sorry for you, that you so incredibly obliged to protect your party. Cast the bad ones to the wolves, just as the conservatives are doing with Bill O. You will feel better for it.