mehmet.altintas

Nov 21, 2018
Hi I have a 970A-G46 motherboard when i was updating the bios it froze so i manually shut it off and now there is no post
i want to change the chip but it is soldered on i could technically do it i have the tools but will that fix it?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Have you tried to recover?

M-Flash
Compared to common motherboard which need extra BIOS chips, MSI’s M-Flash has a double advantage which doesn’t need extra components and secondly, all your BIOS data will be saved in the USB drive. The stored data does not only have backup and upgrade function, moreover it can also be seen as a portable BIOS chip which is actually able to boot up your PC.

Features
- Backup/Restore Your BIOS to/from Any USB Flash Disk
- Avoid Unnecessary Repair Due to Accident Failures During The Upgrading Process
- Earn more BIOS Lifespan by Reducing Unnecessary Rewriting Process

rkoenn

Aug 4, 2000
I've heard of stacking a good chip on the failed chip in a parallel circuit configuration and booting that way. Then once booted simply take the stacked chip off and try to flash again. I did that similarly back in the days of socketed chips a couple of times. I would boot with a good socket chip, remove it while powered up, then stick in the corrupted chip and flash it. That worked great but with no sockets these days it is no longer viable. I've never tried the stacked approach before but it should work. You will have to buy a chip to do it though.

mehmet.altintas

Nov 21, 2018
i ordered a chip but should i just put it on top of the other one and then start the pc? i dont understand but if i desolder it and solder on the new one will it work

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
It's an 8 pin SMD, so if you are handy with a low powered soldering pen, it should be easy to do.

mehmet.altintas

Nov 21, 2018
my dad is an electrician my friends dad is too basicly everybody i know is well educated in tech and should be able to help but will it fix the no post?

mehmet.altintas

Nov 21, 2018
so i just simply start? Thank you for taking time from your day tonrespond i will keep you updated when the chip arrives

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I know but will it just work like a new mobo

yes of course it will work like a motherboard with what ever bios the chip has on it. Might come already updated. ebay or from manufacture? i once had to switch a DFI motherboards bios chip, was kinda fun worked out fine and motherboard still works today (but its hanging on the wall with the rest of the retired motherboards i have used)

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I know but will it just work like a new mobo
You seem overly doubtful and unusually cautious about this. There's nothing else you can do except replace the chip. If it doesn't work, then it doesn't work. Perhaps you should get someone else to change the chip?

mehmet.altintas

Nov 21, 2018
I know i am going to let my father do it he has everything thats needed but i have a black screen after bios update froze that will fix it right

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I know i am going to let my father do it he has everything thats needed but i have a black screen after bios update froze that will fix it right
How many times are you going to ask the same question?

The only way to find out if the board will work, is to replace the BIOS chip.
No one can guarantee that it will work.