Catholocism = Christianity?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: dornick
Originally posted by: DAGTA
Originally posted by: Fritzo
The Acts of the Apostles chronicled the formation of the church. It basically went over the prototype of what we call Catholicism. Also, if I'm not supposed to get information from another human (one who studied the subject so much he can be called Dr.), then who am I supposed to get information from? Would I have given more weight to my argument if I said that an elephant told me?
Get it from the closest source you can, the Bible. Read it and pray to God for guidance... that's the best recommendation I can give to anyone.

I'm not saying any Pastor would intentionally mislead a person. Most of them have good intentions, but it's still filtering the information through one more human. The Bible has been translated and altered over the years but it's still the closer to the source than listening to another person.

You do realize the Bible was rounded up and published by the Catholic Church, right? Even Luther admitted as much.
Amazing that most Catholic churches don't seem to follow it strictly anymore.

dornick

Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: KruptosAngelos
I'm not a fan of Catholicism, but I'm going to point out the obvious here:
No one fully follows the teachings of Jesus Christ. No one is perfect; we all fall short. Some get closer than others but the point is the intentions of the heart. God knows the heart.

I half-agree. I should point out that the catholic religion follows many practices that are forbidden by Christianity. We aren't talking about people, we are talking about a religion. Christianity in and of itself does not fall short, the people do. Catholicism falls waaaay short. It tripped at the start line.

If you don't mind, could you share these "forbidden practices" with us, because I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

Google is your friend.

I'd rather hear what you think.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The Acts of the Apostles chronicled the formation of the church. It basically went over the prototype of what we call Catholicism. Also, if I'm not supposed to get information from another human (one who studied the subject so much he can be called Dr.), then who am I supposed to get information from? Would I have given more weight to my argument if I said that an elephant told me?
Get it from the closest source you can, the Bible. Read it and pray to God for guidance... that's the best recommendation I can give to anyone.

I'm not saying any Pastor would intentionally mislead a person. Most of them have good intentions, but it's still filtering the information through one more human. The Bible has been translated and altered over the years but it's still the closer to the source than listening to another person.

You do realize the Bible was rounded up and published by the Catholic Church, right? Even Luther admitted as much.
Also, what does this have to do with claiming the Catholic Church was the original Christian church? It doesn't support that argument.

dornick

Jan 30, 2005

Amazing that most Catholic churches don't seem to follow it strictly anymore.
Again... tell me where you get this stuff. Don't bother making baseless claims if you're not going to defend them.

Also, what does this have to do with claiming the Catholic Church was the original Christian church? It doesn't support that argument.

No, not that topic. But you're putting the Bible above the Church that put it together.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
cliffs notes:

some protestants don't define "christian" as believing in christ, they make up their own screwy definition. good luck understanding them.

jabamayne

May 12, 2005
..I was the person who disagreed with you yesterday Gurck...

Well, it looks like your poll justifies my point....

Catholicism is a facet of Christianity...

I didn't think you would start a thread on it...but it seems most are agreeing with me on this..

Do you still want to argue your point "kid" ?

P.S. I will clarify this to you again, I am not a "sport"... (lmao)

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Nik
Originally posted by: Viper0329
Originally posted by: Nik

Catholics do not follow the teachings of Christ. They are not Christians.

Huh?

read this

and this

Interesting that you attempt to prove that Catholics aren't Christian by linking to a source that says they ARE Christian.

"For the last two thousand years, the Christian Church has held certain beliefs to be vital to one's faith. While there is some doctrinal disagreement within the three branches of Christendom -Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox and Protestant- there is a general agreement among them as to the essentials of the faith."

Gurck

Banned
Mar 16, 2004
Originally posted by: jabamayne

I didn't think you would start a thread on it...but it seems most are agreeing with me on this..

Do you still want to argue your point "kid" ?

P.S. I will clarify this to you again, I am not a "sport"... (lmao)
Yep, you're right, kudos on that. You did start in with namecalling, however, which was why I ventured a guess as to your age being young - and I stand by my guess.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004

You think a random poll in the off topic section of a tech site makes it a fact?

jabamayne

May 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Gurck
I didn't think this was right, but since I'm not religious nor do I know much about religion, I figure I'll ask ATOT.

Well, I am young, but I am not dumb...you started the name calling..

From what it seems, since your mentioning my age, this prolly means that you thought I was "wrong" yesterday and didn't know what I was talkin about cus Im young...

Im still surprised that you would even start this thread, because you sounded so confident that you were correct yesterday, and yet you were partially, or should I say mostly incorrect...

But no hard feelings...

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

Again... tell me where you get this stuff. Don't bother making baseless claims if you're not going to defend them.
Scroll up.

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003
Catholicism is a form of Christianity. Anyone saying otherwise is likely Protestant or is otherwise opposed to the Catholic faith. There really should be no arguement about this.

christianity (dictionary.com)

n 1: a monotheistic system of beliefs and practices based on the Old Testament and the teachings of Jesus as embodied in the New Testament and emphasizing the role of Jesus as savior [syn: Christianity, Christian religion] 2: the collective body of Christians throughout the world and history (found predominantly in Europe and the Americas and Australia); "for a thousand years the Roman Catholic Church was the principal church of Christendom"

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Jzero
But catholics don't keep it simple, so why should we simplify it for them? You can't just cut off the other things they believe to make it "ok".

Nobody is making anything "ok." You don't have to become a Catholic. You don't have to simplify anything for Catholics either. Protestant sects also vary on one thing or another. Would you also argue that the concept of predestination goes for or against the Bible and therefore various protestant sects also are not Christian because they either do or do not agree with your judgement of something that really doesn't change the outcome?

The definition of a Christian religion is already quite simple.

You can argue the particulars all days long, but as I have already said, that does not change the foundation in the least. You may *personally* feel that Catholics are not Christian. But they are as Christian as Buddha was Hindu.

You cannot classify a religion as a whole based on it's part, that's what I'm getting at. Then you'd have to say ALL cults that start at the foundation of Christianity are Christian, when in fact they are not.

Of course, if we take this further, Catholicism breaks one part of the foundation. The Bible. The fact that their other beliefs are against the bible just pushes them outside Christianity.

Now, the arguement of predestination means nothing to me. It has nothing to do with being a Christian, it's a trivial arguement. I don't discuss things like that.

Gurck

Banned
Mar 16, 2004
I didn't think this was right, but since I'm not religious nor do I know much about religion, I figure I'll ask ATOT.

From what it seems, since your mentioning my age, this prolly means that you thought I was "wrong" yesterday and didn't know what I was talkin about cus Im young...

Im still surprised that you would even start this thread, because you sounded so confident that you were correct yesterday, and yet you were partially, or should I say mostly incorrect...

But no hard feelings...
You began it by calling me ignorant, and again I called you on being young not because you disagreed with me, but because you pulled out the name-calling card so quickly.

jabamayne

May 12, 2005
Originally posted by: chrisms
Catholicism is a form of Christianity. Anyone saying otherwise is likely Protestant or is otherwise opposed to the Catholic faith. There really should be no arguement about this.

n 1: a monotheistic system of beliefs and practices based on the Old Testament and the teachings of Jesus as embodied in the New Testament and emphasizing the role of Jesus as savior [syn: Christianity, Christian religion] 2: the collective body of Christians throughout the world and history (found predominantly in Europe and the Americas and Australia); "for a thousand years the Roman Catholic Church was the principal church of Christendom"

That sums it up ...

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

But no hard feelings...
You began it by calling me ignorant, and again I called you on being young not because you disagreed with me, but because you pulled out the name-calling card so quickly.
So you were both right. One is young and the other is ignorant. ;)

jabamayne

May 12, 2005

But no hard feelings...

Oh, your right... I did call you ignorant... Sorry bout that...

No hard feelings..

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004

That sums it up ...

Catholicism does not follow the teachings of the NT, which is where the arguement stems from.

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003

That sums it up ...

Catholicism does not follow the teachings of the NT, which is where the arguement stems from.

If you don't mind letting me know, what is your religious affiliation? And where do you get the idea that Catholics don't follow the New Testement? They have a different interpretation of it than other faiths do, but they certainly do follow the New Testement.

Gurck

Banned
Mar 16, 2004

But no hard feelings...

Oh, your right... I did call you ignorant... Sorry bout that...

No hard feelings..

:beer:

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004

That sums it up ...

If you don't mind letting me know, what is your religious affiliation? And where do you get the idea that Catholics don't follow the New Testement? They have a different interpretation of it than other faiths do, but they certainly do follow the New Testement.

I don't see how you can interpret "call no one Father, for there is only one Holy Father" into "The pope is the Holy Father"...

That's just one blatant and obvious example, the religion is full of them though.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

You know, I posted a few reasons earlier in this thread. Did everyone miss it or are people just conveniently ignoring it?

kinev

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2005
Catholics are not Christians.

I suppose it all depends on your definition of Christian. To me, a Christian is a person who believes in and follows the teachings of Jesus Christ. As to these teachings, there is no more important aspect of a religion than determining how you are able to be with God in Heaven when you die. Christianity and Catholicism differ on the most important aspect of religion.

Christianity teaches that Jesus died for our sins and man can receive the gift of salvation by accepting Jesus as his/her savior. Jesus himself stated that he alone was the only way to Heaven in John 14:6. So, according to Jesus himself, man receives salvation through faith in Him, not by works.

Catholicism teaches that Jesus gives a "measure" of grace, but there are other actions that have to be performed to get to Heaven. This is where the Catholic sacraments come along. Catholics do not put their faith in Jesus alone for salvation. They believe that if they perform enough sacraments to receive enough grace, they can get into Heaven. This is contrary to what the Bible and Jesus himself taught.

As others have stated, Catholicism has strayed from what the Bible teaches and has become a religion based on rituals. The Bible itself warned early Christians about becoming too ritualized and putting too much importance on ceremony.

The reasons for this distinction are pretty obvious to anybody who has studied religion. If two religions differ regarding the core aspects of those religions, they cannot be the same.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004

You know, I posted a few reasons earlier in this thread. Did everyone miss it or are people just conveniently ignoring it?

It is very easy to miss posts in this thread, I did it a couple times. Although I don't see why people can't use google, there are eleventy million websites that point this out pretty easily, better than I could do in a forum.