Catholocism = Christianity?

Gurck

Banned
Mar 16, 2004
This came up the other day, I mentioined Islam being the world's most popular religion and someone disagreed, saying that because Catholocism is a facet of Christianity, much like Protestants, Methodists, etc., Christianity enjoys far greater numbers. I didn't think this was right, but since I'm not religious nor do I know much about religion, I figure I'll ask ATOT.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
The only christian branch that there is even a doubt with is the mormons, because their faith is so different from all the other Christian faiths.

Catholics are Christians.

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000
I would consider them christian

Catholicism is considered by many as the father of all christianity but I guess you can say that abou Judaism as well

Catholics call themselves christians

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Christians are those who believe in God / Jesus Christ. Catholics, Methodists, etc are all Christians....

Riceball

Sep 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Gurck
This came up the other day, I mentioined Islam being the world's most popular religion and someone disagreed, saying that because Catholocism is a facet of Christianity, much like Protestants, Methodists, etc., Christianity enjoys far greater numbers. I didn't think this was right, but since I'm not religious nor do I know much about religion, I figure I'll ask ATOT.

You are correct stating Islam is the world's most popular religion and therefore has the most adherrents.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Uhh, Catholics are the ORIGINAL form of Christiananity. They started the whole thing with the church headed by St. Peter. All other forms of Christianity are offshoots of Catholicism.

Yaotl

Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Riceball

You are correct stating Islam is the world's most popular religion and therefore has the most adherrents.

Unless you want to divide them between Sunni and Shi'ite.

bandana163

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2003
Before the reformation: Christianity = Catholics
After the reformation: Christianity = Catholics + Lutherans + Calvinists + Unitarians + ...

Gurck

Banned
Mar 16, 2004
Wow, looks like I was wrong about them being seperate religions, good to know. Also good to know I was right about Islam having greater numbers though, thanks for the info.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Uhh, Catholics are the ORIGINAL form of Christiananity. They started the whole thing with the church headed by St. Peter. All other forms of Christianity are offshoots of Catholicism.

No. Catholicism is one of the oldest churches based off of Christianity but it was not the original. Read the book of Acts if you want to know more.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Wow, looks like I was wrong about them being seperate religions, good to know. Also good to know I was right about Islam having greater numbers though, thanks for the info.

It's remarkably like the history of unix :)

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Catholics are Christians, but when someone refers to Christians, they're almost always referring to non-catholic Christians.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BigJ

Looks like you're wrong about that too.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/worldrel.htm

32% Christian
19% Muslim

Christianity almost doubles the number of Islamic followers.

That pie chart has a group labeled "Chinese Folk" :confused:

Gurck

Banned
Mar 16, 2004

32% Christian
19% Muslim

Doh

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: DAGTA

32% Christian
19% Muslim

That pie chart has a group labeled "Chinese Folk" :confused:

Read on. Chinese Folk Religion.

http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

Theres another one for a better explanation.

Chinese traditional religion: In older world religion books the estimates of the total number of adherents of Confucianism range up to 350 million. Other books, including older versions of the Encyclopedia Britannica, have listed Chinese religionists under "Taoism," with adherent estimates up to about 200 million. But these figures are all based on counts of the same segment of Chinese people throughout the world -- people practicing what is, sociologically, more accurately called Chinese traditional religion, and often called Chinese folk religion. The word "traditional" is preferable to "folk" because "folk" might imply only the local, tribal customs and beliefs such as ancestor worship and nature beliefs. But "Chinese traditional religion" is meant to categorize the common religion of the majority Chinese culture: a combination of Confucianism, Buddhism, and Taoism, as well as the traditional non-scriptural/local practices and beliefs. For most religious Chinese who do not explicitly follow a different religion such as Islam or Christianity, these different ancient Chinese philosophies and traditions form a single, seamless composite religious culture and worldview.