Catholocism = Christianity?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: DAGTA
Originally posted by: BigJ
Originally posted by: Gurck
Wow, looks like I was wrong about them being seperate religions, good to know. Also good to know I was right about Islam having greater numbers though, thanks for the info.

Looks like you're wrong about that too.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/worldrel.htm

32% Christian
19% Muslim

Christianity almost doubles the number of Islamic followers.

That pie chart has a group labeled "Chinese Folk" :confused:

Chinese folk religions (see the table below)
It is kind of funny the way they wrote it though.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
They are in the God and Jesus bunch, but not in the mohammed bunch, therefore, they are Christians.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: mchammer187
Catholicism is considered by many as the father of all christianity

ummm... the Orthodox church would strongly disagree with you...

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: LordMorpheus

Catholics are Christians.

it is just that born agains/many protestants hate catholics, so they say catholics aren't christian

some born agains are as extreme as radical terrorist muslims as to who they allow into "christianity" , they feel they have the exclusive christian club

Riceball

Sep 4, 2004
Wow, looks like I was wrong about them being seperate religions, good to know. Also good to know I was right about Islam having greater numbers though, thanks for the info.

32% Christian
19% Muslim

The pie chart is dated by half a decade. Look below the pie and you see Islam growing while christianity declining.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Riceball

32% Christian
19% Muslim

The pie chart is dated by half a decade. Look below the pie and you see Islam growing while christianity declining.

Islam is growing, but I honestly don't think that it gained a billion followers in 5 years.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Read on. Chinese Folk Religion.

http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

Theres another one for a better explanation.

Chinese traditional religion: In older world religion books the estimates of the total number of adherents of Confucianism range up to 350 million. Other books, including older versions of the Encyclopedia Britannica, have listed Chinese religionists under "Taoism," with adherent estimates up to about 200 million. But these figures are all based on counts of the same segment of Chinese people throughout the world -- people practicing what is, sociologically, more accurately called Chinese traditional religion, and often called Chinese folk religion. The word "traditional" is preferable to "folk" because "folk" might imply only the local, tribal customs and beliefs such as ancestor worship and nature beliefs. But "Chinese traditional religion" is meant to categorize the common religion of the majority Chinese culture: a combination of Confucianism, Buddhism, and Taoism, as well as the traditional non-scriptural/local practices and beliefs. For most religious Chinese who do not explicitly follow a different religion such as Islam or Christianity, these different ancient Chinese philosophies and traditions form a single, seamless composite religious culture and worldview.
Thanks for the link. :)

I was just reading through more of that site trying to find out about Chinese Folk. I learned something today. :)

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior
Christians are those who believe in God / Jesus Christ. Catholics, Methodists, etc are all Christians....

If that were true, then nearly every single cult would be called Christian. Since they aren't, your definition is flawed, and therefore does not apply to the poll.

Spend some time reading books on cults and see why they say Catholicism isn't a part of Christianity. This is not the type of forum to talk about this. You will only learn by reading about it.

Forsythe

Platinum Member
May 2, 2004

32% Christian
19% Muslim

Islam is growing, but I honestly don't think that it gained a billion followers in 5 years.

Sure? :p

Yaotl

Jul 7, 2001
Unless you want to divide them between Sunni and Shi'ite.

Their both facets of the same religion, so I lump them together for any popularity contest.

They're about as split as any sect in Christianity.

Kasper4christ

Sep 29, 2004
IMHO the label you give a person isn't what defines them.
being a Christian, involves beliving in Christs death and ressurection.
some people who are Catholic belive this, great. some mormons might belive this, great. most protestants belive this, great.

my .02

Forsythe

Platinum Member
May 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Kasper4christ
some people who are Catholic belive this, great. some mormons might belive this, great. most protestants belive this, great.

my .02

What?

Catholics/Protestants believe in christs death ressurection, or they aren't Catholics/Protestants.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Kasper4christ

my .02

It's easier for say you and I to understand this, but people need black and white, not the gray stuff. I don't believe the question is, are all catholics cultists or are they all christians, the question is about the religion not the people in it. Sure, catholics can go to heaven, and catholics can go to hell. Same is for anyone really. Labels don't get you into heaven.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
People like to twist, or redefine things to exclude themselves from groups they don't like, or exclude groups they don't like from themselves.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: FoBoT
see? i told you somebody would explain why they think catholics aren't christians
I can do it from another angle. Some people believe that being Christian should mean that you do as Jesus would do. Jesus was jewish...

SandGnome

May 13, 2005
Christian = follower of Christ.

That being said, there are many who call themselves Christians, including Orthodox Christians, Catholics, and the many demoninations of Protestants. But statistics have to do with the labels, not with the lifestyle.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
I would consider them christian

Catholicism is considered by many as the father of all christianity but I guess you can say that abou Judaism as well

Catholics call themselves christians

Right, and Osama BinLadin calls himself a Muslim, too. :roll:

Catholics do not follow the teachings of Christ. They are not Christians.

Yaotl

Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Nik

Catholicism is considered by many as the father of all christianity but I guess you can say that abou Judaism as well

...he is a Muslim.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: DAGTA
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Uhh, Catholics are the ORIGINAL form of Christiananity. They started the whole thing with the church headed by St. Peter. All other forms of Christianity are offshoots of Catholicism.

No. Catholicism is one of the oldest churches based off of Christianity but it was not the original. Read the book of Acts if you want to know more.

Again, you get a :confused:

The Catholic religion is based upon the celebration of the last supper, where Jesus says "Do this in memory of me." You can't get much earlier than that. I've studied this subject with our pastor (who also has a PhD in Theology) and he has confirmed this fact.

Here's a good link to back up this:

Wikipedia

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Yaotl

...he is a Muslim.

So he's a Muslim because he says he follows the Muslim faith? Because we all know he doesn't.

Yaotl

Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Yaotl

...he is a Muslim.

So he's a Muslim because he says he follows the Muslim faith? Because we all know he doesn't.

And I'm sure lots of Catholics would say you aren't a Christian.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Maybe from your perspective.
They may have wandered off the true path, but by and large, they follow or attempt to follow the teachings of Christ.