can i install BF3 without that stupid Origin crap?

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
I'm all excited about the game but origin? come on! I already have steam!

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
I think there was some rumors that EA was in last minute talks with Steam to put BF3 on Steam.. but again.. rumor is rumor until confirmed.

Either way, I'll be sitting out BF3; simply not interested in a game that needs a web browser to run.

Nizology

Oct 13, 2004
I think there was some rumors that EA was in last minute talks with Steam to put BF3 on Steam.. but again.. rumor is rumor until confirmed.

Either way, I'll be sitting out BF3; simply not interested in a game that needs a web browser to run.
Using the browser as a game browser actually worked extremely well and far better than any previous iterations. The transitions were seamless. That really can't be the reason you won't play this game right? Seems rather petty.

J-Money

Feb 9, 2003

Because no one has a web browser installed.

The way they did this for BF3 is way better than any previous Battlefields setup. Works very well suprisingly.

And just shut down Origin when not playing BF3. Problem solved. It isn't a hard to use resource hogging program.

Last edited:

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Using the browser as a game browser actually worked extremely well and far better than any previous iterations. The transitions were seamless. That really can't be the reason you won't play this game right? Seems rather petty.

Agreed. I had some initial negative thoughts about the browser thing, but IMO it worked quite well and was a lot quicker then waiting for the game to boot up just for the menus. Some people just refuse to give new things an honest shot.

Blitzvogel

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2010
Agreed. I had some initial negative thoughts about the browser thing, but IMO it worked quite well and was a lot quicker then waiting for the game to boot up just for the menus. Some people just refuse to give new things an honest shot.
So is the game running in the background at this point, or does it have to boot up after choosing from the server browser, in browser? And is this browser in Origin's browser, or just a general internet browser...browser?

PS: Browser.

J-Money

Feb 9, 2003
So is the game running in the background at this point, or does it have to boot up after choosing from the server browser, in browser? And is this browser in Origin's browser, or just a general internet browser...browser?

The game does not launch until you click "Join Game" after "choosing from the server browser, in browser".

It runs off whatever your default browser is. IE / Firefox / Chrome. It's an add-on that installs. You won't ever notice this add-on otherwise.

Only gripe I have with it is can't change options until in game. Like video settings etc.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004

It loads a webpage in your default browser. I'm still unsure if it'll be fully compatible with all browsers on release, but it SHOULD be if they aren't stupid. When I first played the beta it worked in Chrome and FF, but they changed some things and it started working only in IE.

Anyway, it's just an online page that shows your stats and allows you to view servers and join games. When you click on a link to a server, THEN the game actually launches directly to that game. Makes it quite a bit faster IMO because you don't have to sit through 15 splash screens just to get to the damn game just to open more menus and search for servers.

J-Money

Feb 9, 2003
can i uninstall origin and play the game?

I don't think so. Wouldn't be able to launch it far as I know.

During the beta had to go into Origin and click the BF3 Icon. Not sure if you can put it on desktop and launch there.

And even if it ends up on Steam, I could still see Steam launching Origin to launch BF3. So might as well just go Origin.

Last edited:

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
The game does not launch until you click "Join Game" after "choosing from the server browser, in browser".

It runs off whatever your default browser is. IE / Firefox / Chrome. It's an add-on that installs. You won't ever notice this add-on otherwise.

Only gripe I have with it is can't change options until in game. Like video settings etc.

You can change video settings outside of the game. Open the config files. Just like almost every other game ever made.

Also, after the initial setup you will very rarely have to change video settings so this isn't something to really complain about.

J-Money

Feb 9, 2003
You can change video settings outside of the game. Open the config files. Just like almost every other game ever made.

Also, after the initial setup you will very rarely have to change video settings so this isn't something to really complain about.

No it isn't really an issue, just something that's slightly more annoying then being able to change them before entering a game with a menu.

Nothing I'd consider not buying the game for though. Going to be awesome!

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
I don't like this whole origin thing but once I looked at it, it was pretty much like steam and when you look at EA games, there is no way you can call yourself a gamer and skip EA games. Too many great ones. Probably in a couple years everyone will have there own online store and steam will be regulated to selling only valve games...maybe then they'll start making some more games.

The last thing I want to do is go to wallmart and buy one they have to update it myself constantly, install it, check disc etc.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
I don't like this whole origin thing but once I looked at it, it was pretty much like steam and when you look at EA games, there is no way you can call yourself a gamer and skip EA games. Too many great ones.

:rolleyes:

Probably in a couple years everyone will have there own online store and steam will be regulated to selling only valve games...maybe then they'll start making some more games.

wat... you can't be serious. Have you noticed how successful Steam has become in the last couple years? You expect hundreds of game developers (big and small, mainstream and indie) to just all of a sudden abandon Steam and miss thousands/millions of digital sales?

J-Money

Feb 9, 2003

wat... you can't be serious. Have you noticed how successful Steam has become in the last couple years? You expect hundreds of game developers (big and small, mainstream and indie) to just all of a sudden abandon Steam and miss thousands/millions of digital sales?

Why roll your eyes? Love or hate EA you can't deny that as a real gamer you can't avoid their games.

Mass Effect, Battlefields, Dragon Age, Sims, EA Sports games, Crysis, Rock Band, Dead Space, Mirrors Edge, Need For Speed.

That's only a few of the games EA is somehow involved in. Find a gamer that hasn't played at least 1 of those.

EDIT: From a quick search of your posts seems you enjoyed Mass Effect 1 and 2, as well as Dragon Age. Gee EA really sucks eh?

Last edited:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

you completely missed his point.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
Why roll your eyes? Love or hate EA you can't deny that as a real gamer you can't avoid their games.

Mass Effect, Battlefields, Dragon Age, Sims, EA Sports games, Crysis, Rock Band, Dead Space, Mirrors Edge, Need For Speed.

That's only a few of the games EA is somehow involved in. Find a gamer that hasn't played at least 1 of those.

EDIT: From a quick search of your posts seems you enjoyed Mass Effect 1 and 2, as well as Dragon Age. Gee EA really sucks eh?

Thing is, EA didn't make those games. In fact, some people blame them for ruining those very two games due to 'publisher pressure'.

I don't deny that EA has had a big impact on gaming, but you just seem to be giving them wayyy to much credit.

you completely missed his point.

Big game studios will start migrating to their own version of Steam, and Steam will be left with only Valve titles (just as it was back in 2004.) You actually think this is realistic?

I'm not a big fan of Steam, but you can't deny how 'convenient' it is to have all your games accessible from one platform. I don't think many users are willing to install 10 different apps to manage their games.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
I don't think so. Wouldn't be able to launch it far as I know.

During the beta had to go into Origin and click the BF3 Icon. Not sure if you can put it on desktop and launch there.

And even if it ends up on Steam, I could still see Steam launching Origin to launch BF3. So might as well just go Origin.

This isn't entirely correct. You can bookmark battlelog in your web browser. When you feel like playing simply open up that site, find a server and join. The utility will open origin (if not already open), and then launch the game for you. So in this way the steps are actually fewer, sadly there is a lot running in the background. Although bf3 never seemed to mind if I was taking up 1gb with my web browser.

And yes, if it comes to steam it will most likely still launch through origin.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I don't really care, but to run BF3 you need an open web browser, punkbuster and Origin? lobloat.

And to the 99% of us that leave our web browser open all the time, run steam, and punkbuster for our games anyways none of this matter. RAM is cheap.