can i install BF3 without that stupid Origin crap?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Some people just love being Valve's bitch.

Just wait until Windows 8's app store appears -- now that will be a ruckus.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
it's annoying when i click to open the BF3 icon, it literally opens origin, which then opens a web browser, which i had to click on "start campaign". I guess it replaces menus inside the game, but why? Then I still have to go through menus inside the game to configure my graphics and everything... it just seems a little redundant and slow... Where as in my starcraft, I open it up, and it launches right away!

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
That seems like a reasonable idea, until you consider what happens if every single game does it, then when you want to format your PC (which some of us like to do frequently), and you have say 50 games installed, then you have a massive amount of messing about ahead of you.

And you have to take into consideration of how many of us had full system crashes that you're unable to go back into the OS to "uninstall/deactivate", which equates to a license lost.

At the worst of times; I've had more than 5 crashes within a year; and then I could either give up on the game and never play again, or spend 45+ minutes on the phone with some guy from India who will then try to figure out what I mean by "I need to deactivate my activations".

Last edited:

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I like how Steam manages all the installs, eliminates the need for desktop icons and streamlines the launching process. I'm not competent enough to manage all that stuff myself; without steam I'd end up with games installed in my hard drive's root directory, in my windows directory, etc.

not sure if serious.jpg

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I think there was some rumors that EA was in last minute talks with Steam to put BF3 on Steam.. but again.. rumor is rumor until confirmed.

Either way, I'll be sitting out BF3; simply not interested in a game that needs a web browser to run.

The battle log works extremely well. WAY better than previous versions of BF/BC. I am not sure why you are annoyed about this. Do you actually have a PC that doesn't have a web browser?

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
And to the 99% of us that leave our web browser open all the time, run steam, and punkbuster for our games anyways none of this matter. RAM is cheap.
True.. until a memory leak strikes you back real hard. Watch your gigabytes of RAM go in vain. Oh, never say never ;-p

I'm all excited about the game but origin? come on! I already have steam!
Heard some people took care of that annoyance. Haven't tested it myself yet. Could be the answer ;-p

Last edited:

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
I was hyped for BF3, I've loved the whole series except for BF2142. But the news that it would be origin only just pushed the wrong buttons, I have 200 games on steam and I simply don't want to be loading origin or even have it installed to access 1 in 200 games, it's just silly.

I tend to make the comparison to mobile phones, I don't want to carry a different mobile phone for every network, if I have a T-mobile phone and someone releases a network where I can't get access from T-Mobile then I'm not going to carry a 2nd phone just to call people on that network, it's just stupid.

I struggled with the decision for a bit but ultimately it comes down to EA bending our arms using a popular title to try and force Origin on us as they're desperate to use the service, and I don't see that as a business/customer relationship I want to be part of, it's just all in bad taste.

Where to even begin with things like this?

Your mobile phone example is absurd, having Steam and Origin installed is nothing like carrying two mobile phones around. It is like having Word for documents and Excel for spreadsheets. Or having two browser tabs open as you browse Amazon and another online shop.

I am more than happy for there to be more competition for Steam. If installing Origin for one game is such a hardship for you, how on earth did you buy your very first Steam game?

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
I remembered there were similar out cries when steam first rolled out... now I hear people defending steam... it will happen again when everyone is used to Origin...:cool: