can i install BF3 without that stupid Origin crap?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Can't wait until all the naysayers actually have bought it after saying they would not. Happens every time.

I still don't have COD BLOPS (I only bought MW2 when it fell below $20, as I originally said I would,) or Starcraft 2. I won't be buying Diablo III or BF3 if they aren't available on Steam. I'm a naysayer that sticks to his guns. :cool:

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
I still don't have COD BLOPS (I only bought MW2 when it fell below $20, as I originally said I would,) or Starcraft 2. I won't be buying Diablo III or BF3 if they aren't available on Steam. I'm a naysayer that sticks to his guns. :cool:

What happens when Diablo III or BF3 goes on sale then ?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
What happens when Diablo III or BF3 goes on sale then ?

I don't buy them. My issue with them is that they aren't available on Steam.

My issue with COD games is their ludicrous $60 release price and that they typically don't go on sale (on Steam) until years after their release.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
So instead you have 60 standalone games? Sounds messy.

imho it's silly to either demand that a game has to be steam to play it, or to alternatively refuse to use steam at all. A good game is worth it, whether it be retail (best maps/goodies quite often), D2D, Steam, etc.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
imho it's silly to either demand that a game has to be steam to play it, or to alternatively refuse to use steam at all. A good game is worth it, whether it be retail (best maps/goodies quite often), D2D, Steam, etc.

I like how Steam manages all the installs, eliminates the need for desktop icons and streamlines the launching process. I'm not competent enough to manage all that stuff myself; without steam I'd end up with games installed in my hard drive's root directory, in my windows directory, etc.

Nov 7, 2000
in all honesty, i probably wont buy it until it comes to steam. even though i suspect it will still require origin even if sold by steam, i want to send a message that they should support steam, even if they want to roll their own as well.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
I'm fine with running within a browser, but I don't need another game management system! I like to keep my computer as clean as possible, with minimal apps installed :)

But i just installed the preload...

Jan 23, 2006
It blows my mind people don't like change, yet play games. Take look back at how you played games before steam, people think steam is so handy yet when it first game out people complained LIKE CRAZY they could not believe they had to use steam.

Yet some people complain they have to use a web browser, which btw is a TON better than in game browser and more efficient no matter how you look at it?

I remember that. When Steam 1st came out people hated it! Now it's like Steam is gaming heaven on earth.

Jan 23, 2006
That is true. Times have changed so much now. Why must we run all of this other junk in the background nowadays. Oh well.

I have currently 72 FF tabs open and don't plan on closing any of them ever.

What the hell? 72 tabs? What do you have opened in all those tabs? I usually have at most 20 tabs open at any one time.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I don't buy them. My issue with them is that they aren't available on Steam.

My issue with COD games is their ludicrous $60 release price and that they typically don't go on sale (on Steam) until years after their release.

I admire your fortitude and wish I could resist as well as you ;)

J-Money

Feb 9, 2003
in all honesty, i probably wont buy it until it comes to steam. even though i suspect it will still require origin even if sold by steam, i want to send a message that they should support steam, even if they want to roll their own as well.

Way to send a message to the wrong people.

The reason it isn't on Steam isn't because of EA, it's because of Valves rules.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
72 tabs three tab groups

dZdxz.jpg

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Why would I have more than a few games installed at once? Sounds stupid to have 60 games installed.

I don't seem to have the wherewithal to play any game for more than 3 or 4 hours, so I cycle through them pretty quickly.

DarkForceRising

Apr 16, 2005
My question is, if BF3 is launched from the web browser, what is Origin doing that makes it a requirement? Nothing that I'm aware of.

Yes, it may be using a negligible amount of memory, but I dislike it when applications are opened for no reason. As near as I can tell, Origin is opening because EA says so, and only for that reason.

I dislike this. It's just weird. Any way you launch it, Origin->Browser->BF3, Browser->Origin->BF3, start menu->origin->browser-BF3, there's an extra step for no reason.

Mind, I'd love it if Steam didn't need to be open for its games to work too.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
And to the 99% of us that leave our web browser open all the time, run steam, and punkbuster for our games anyways none of this matter. RAM is cheap.

I never leave my web browser open when gaming unless I'm playing something like 5 years old.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
That is true. Times have changed so much now. Why must we run all of this other junk in the background nowadays. Oh well.

I have currently 72 FF tabs open and don't plan on closing any of them ever.

Always close after you fap, its good practice :thumbsup:

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
So instead you have 60 standalone games? Sounds messy.

That's the way I feel. OVer the years I've thrown out all my physical games, I don't think I have a single one I replaced lots of them with Steam sales. All music CDs are now gone, now it's all FLAC for me. I threw out my video Tape collection which was quite good and I might even throw out my DVD collection if TV on demand, Netflix types of technology get better.

I'm also going to buy an Ereader and hopefully get rid of half my books. Wave of the future, everything virtual.