can i install BF3 without that stupid Origin crap?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Thing is, EA didn't make those games. In fact, some people blame them for ruining those very two games due to 'publisher pressure'.

I don't deny that EA has had a big impact on gaming, but you just seem to be giving them wayyy to much credit.

Big game studios will start migrating to their own version of Steam, and Steam will be left with only Valve titles (just as it was back in 2004.) You actually think this is realistic?

I'm not a big fan of Steam, but you can't deny how 'convenient' it is to have all your games accessible from one platform. I don't think many users are willing to install 10 different apps to manage their games.

i didn't say it was realistic or if i even believed it, i just stated that you missed his point in your reply.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
And to the 99% of us that leave our web browser open all the time, run steam, and punkbuster for our games anyways none of this matter. RAM is cheap.

Yep. I played the beta with 4 FF sessions open, iTunes and 2 sessions of Procon open to admin BFBC2 servers.

We plan on having links to our BF3 servers on our website. People can just click on them and it'll kick-off everything and they'll be in game in seconds.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Yep. I played the beta with 4 FF sessions open, iTunes and 2 sessions of Procon open to admin BFBC2 servers.

We plan on having links to our BF3 servers on our website. People can just click on them and it'll kick-off everything and they'll be in game in seconds.
It really is a genius system...people are just bitching for the sake of bitching. I have FF open all the time, during the beta I would just open the battlelog tab, pick a server, and go. Super easy.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
It really is a genius system...people are just bitching for the sake of bitching. I have FF open all the time, during the beta I would just open the battlelog tab, pick a server, and go. Super easy.

It should at least close the goddamned browser if you tick an option. What about people can barely run the game? You really think they want to have a browser running in the background? Its retarded. Also, FYI, you can link to steam servers in html as well.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I don't like this whole origin thing but once I looked at it, it was pretty much like steam and when you look at EA games, there is no way you can call yourself a gamer and skip EA games. Too many great ones. Probably in a couple years everyone will have there own online store and steam will be regulated to selling only valve games...maybe then they'll start making some more games.

The last thing I want to do is go to wallmart and buy one they have to update it myself constantly, install it, check disc etc.

go_away_noob-12269.jpg

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
It blows my mind people don't like change, yet play games. Take look back at how you played games before steam, people think steam is so handy yet when it first game out people complained LIKE CRAZY they could not believe they had to use steam.

Yet some people complain they have to use a web browser, which btw is a TON better than in game browser and more efficient no matter how you look at it?

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
There's single player?

I was so bored and couldn't find a game a month ago that I tried the single player of Bad Company 2...30 minutes later I couldn't handle it anymore, it was retarded. I did manage to play over 900 hours of Bad Company 2 online though so I'm like you..There's a single player?

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Only gripe I have with it is can't change options until in game. Like video settings etc.
DICE said they've fixed this in the final game. You can now properly change graphics options while outside of a server. (Of course they wouldn't leave it like this... could you imagine how many gamers would be enraged if they were forced to change their settings only while in a match?) :)

Is the game worth buying though just for singleplayer? How long is the campaign?

Seeing as Battlefield has always been multiplayer-focused, no, it's probably not worth buying just for the singleplayer.

Don't get me wrong; the singleplayer campaign looks awesome... but not $60 awesome.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
It should at least close the goddamned browser if you tick an option. What about people can barely run the game? You really think they want to have a browser running in the background? Its retarded. Also, FYI, you can link to steam servers in html as well.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but Vista and Windows 7 has fairly intelligent memory allocation tweaks built in. Unlike XP, the newer versions of windows do a damn good job of taking memory away from idle background apps once a 3D application is launched. It doesn't matter that the browser is open because the resources it's taking when you're looking at servers will be greatly reduced once the game is launched. And since the game can't even be installed on an XP system... nobody will even have to worry about it.

Quit whining about it

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
This isn't entirely correct. You can bookmark battlelog in your web browser. When you feel like playing simply open up that site, find a server and join. The utility will open origin (if not already open), and then launch the game for you. So in this way the steps are actually fewer, sadly there is a lot running in the background. Although bf3 never seemed to mind if I was taking up 1gb with my web browser.

And yes, if it comes to steam it will most likely still launch through origin.

This - it ain't hard folks. This "OH GOD IT RUNS IN A BROWSER" mentality is ridiculous. What's the big deal?

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
Using the browser as a game browser actually worked extremely well and far better than any previous iterations. The transitions were seamless. That really can't be the reason you won't play this game right? Seems rather petty.

It's one of the reason. I played in beta, and it worked well enough with limited users; and I don't like how the game is dependent on the fact that a web server needs to be up; so when it does come down, you can't even join games at all. That and Origin.

It may be petty, but I know what I want. I'll probably only play BF3 once it drops into bargain bin.

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
It's one of the reason. I played in beta, and it worked well enough with limited users; and I don't like how the game is dependent on the fact that a web server needs to be up; so when it does come down, you can't even join games at all. That and Origin.

It may be petty, but I know what I want. I'll probably only play BF3 once it drops into bargain bin.

Pretty much all MP games these days rely on the publisher's servers to be up. You're being a petty ridiculous whinger typical PC gamer. I bet $100 you wind up buying this game, just like all those whinging retards on the MW2 boycott steam list.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
If you can't spare 100MB in RAM to have FF open while gaming, you're not playing BF3 with your rig. Period. This isn't 2001 where you had to shut down everything to get extra frames.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
Pretty much all MP games these days rely on the publisher's servers to be up. You're being a petty ridiculous whinger typical PC gamer. I bet $100 you wind up buying this game, just like all those whinging retards on the MW2 boycott steam list.

I'm not whining about or nor am I asking people to boycott it; I'm simply saying _I'm_ not buying it. I haven't touched COD Franchise since they removed dedicated server in MW2. So no; I won't.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
If you can't spare 100MB in RAM to have FF open while gaming, you're not playing BF3 with your rig. Period. This isn't 2001 where you had to shut down everything to get extra frames.

Right. Unless you have a dozen tabs open or something, most modern browsers are extremely light on memory usage anyway. I'm looking at my task manager right now, and all told, chrome.exe is using ~60MB of memory with one tab open. This is pretty much negligible.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Right. Unless you have a dozen tabs open or something, most modern browsers are extremely light on memory usage anyway. I'm looking at my task manager right now, and all told, chrome.exe is using ~60MB of memory with one tab open. This is pretty much negligible.

Yeah but not everyone has only a single tab open all the time.

Still it is possible to not have Origin install on your psychical system legitimately and still being able to play BF3. It is no hack or crack either. That is what I put focus on legitimately. I do it with all other games all the time like GTA IV. Any game I don't like the extra stuff that comes with it I do this.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
And to the 99% of us that leave our web browser open all the time, run steam, and punkbuster for our games anyways none of this matter. RAM is cheap.

Like I said it doesn't really matter to me, just humorous what you have to have running in-order to play a game. We've traded no-cds for other crap.

On my PC with 4GB of RAM I have at least 50 FF or Chrome tabs open, A/V software, Trillian, Thunderbird, Word and Excel and I'm not closing any of them to play BF3.

Well unless it crashes :)

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I must say I don't think I will be buying it, mainly for the Origin/browser issue. Looks like I may as well give MW3 a chance.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Like I said it doesn't really matter to me, just humorous what you have to have running in-order to play a game. We've traded no-cds for other crap.

On my PC with 4GB of RAM I have at least 50 FF or Chrome tabs open, A/V software, Trillian, Thunderbird, Word and Excel and I'm not closing any of them to play BF3.

Well unless it crashes :)

That is true. Times have changed so much now. Why must we run all of this other junk in the background nowadays. Oh well.

I have currently 72 FF tabs open and don't plan on closing any of them ever.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Yeah but not everyone has only a single tab open all the time.

Still it is possible to not have Origin install on your psychical system legitimately and still being able to play BF3. It is no hack or crack either. That is what I put focus on legitimately. I do it with all other games all the time like GTA IV. Any game I don't like the extra stuff that comes with it I do this.
With FF open, 8 tabs, origin running, and BC2 in the background, FF is at 600MB, and I have ~3.5GB RAM in usage (out of 6GB total, 55% based on the widget). Shouldn't be a problem.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Can't wait until all the naysayers actually have bought it after saying they would not. Happens every time.