Breaking: Shooting at CT elementary school

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mixolydian

Lifer
Nov 7, 2011
gilramirez.net
Oh and I just want to say that the real tragedy here (other than the deaths, obviously) is that the stigma attached to mental illness that probably prevented the shooter's friends/family from getting him help will not be addressed because idiots are too busy arguing about guns. :)

My thoughts exactly. "Mass murder had mental disorder" tends to make the public believe that all people with mental disorders are dangerous killers. That kind of stigma prevents people from getting help, then they try to find other ways to cope, and then snap - like this guy did. It's a vicious cycle, and quite frankly the media is to blame.

RIP to all who were lost. :(

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
All so willing to look for something to blame without realizing one simple fact.

Evil exists among us. Best be prepared to confront and defeat evil.

nanette1985

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2005
I just noticed from the posts on Wrong Planet that the shooter had attended school in
Newtown. I missed that on the news reports.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Well then, let's just give everyone nuclear weapons. After all, it's not the nuclear weapons that would kill people, it's the people who detonate them.
Again, some of you don't understand what "rational" means. It explains your arguments and thought process perfectly.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
This thread really parses who the real trolls of at are.

I picked up my kids from school early and we all spent the night together with no tv. May god bless you all tonight. This morning I was worried about bills and taxes. Tonight I am thankful for the smiles and laughs and hugs i was able to share with my loved ones today.

Be good to each other in the coming days.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Nothing in this world angers me more than the notion of legislating based upon specific events.

And this feeling has been with me for many years and is in no way specific to gun situations. I've never owned a gun and am by no stretch of the imagination a gun person.

I've always felt law should be determined by logic, never emotion. In a vacuum, never due to specific situations.

That's what's called "kneejerk" - and few things piss me off more deeply.

What happened in my state today is incredibly tragic. Though, I'm not sure if a young child dying is more tragic than a 45 year old in Oregon at the mall... an innocent life is an innocent life.

But certain things push people's emotion button harder than others. That's fine, I understand that and I'm not immune to it myself. But when people start trying to translate their emotion button being pressed into someone else's rights being infringed upon... the anger rises.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
There was a "Criminal Profiler" being interviewed on one of the national networks and when he was asked why the perpetrators of these mass killings are almost always white, he skirted over it and had no fvcking clue what to say.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Two things we can be thankful of, at least for the moment.
#1, nukes are not yet available to the general public.
#2, the NRA does not yet protect private ownership of nukes.

But I expect the day will come when both #1 and #2 are no longer the case.

Just look forward to the day breaking news... Omaha nuked off the face of the map by troubled teen.
Troubled teens cause terror, not nukes.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
There was a "Criminal Profiler" being interviewed on one of the national networks and when he was asked why the perpetrators of these mass killings are almost always white, he skirted over it and had no fvcking clue what to say.

Because whites make up 85 percent of the population?

Also because blacks are so good at being criminals they dont often get caught?

Anything else you want me to say?

Also: Fucking. Not fvcking.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Because whites make up 85 percent of the population?

Also because blacks are so good at being criminals they dont often get caught?

Anything else you want me to say?

Also: Fucking. Not fvcking.

They're generally not even Hispanic whites; mostly WASP-y types, and they certainly don't make up 85% of the population. And you can't really go on a spree killing without being caught.

The reason is that middle-class WASPs that don't feel accepted into society are confused, because based on their relative affluence, literacy, etc they should fit in just fine. That's why you don't see many Asian serial killers and common murderers, yet you look at VirginiaTech and South Korea and you find spree killers there too. If people focused all their knee-jerk rage in the direction of school bullying and mental illness they'd probably accomplish a lot more.

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
Question: wouldn't being hit by a bullet even with body armor still incapacitate or at least stun said wearer of armor?

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Question: wouldn't being hit by a bullet even with body armor still incapacitate or at least stun said wearer of armor?

Depends on the caliber of the round and the distance the round traveled before striking the person.

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
I don't think stricter gun laws would prevent any shooting sprees. These assholes would just obtain them illegally.

My condolences to the families that were hurt by this shooting. Damn man they were just kids.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
I don't think stricter gun laws would prevent any shooting sprees. These assholes would just obtain them illegally.

In this case, he did obtain the weapon illegally.

But we should tighten gun laws to prevent these tragedies! ...wait :confused:

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001

Usually it would yes. It still feels like being hit with a hammer. It'll break ribs, knock a person out, etc.

Qianglong

Jan 29, 2006
RIP to all the victims in this innocent tragedy. Based on all the news reports, there seems to be no injured victims...I can't imagine what sort of damage the firearms did to the young children at the school.... *shudders* Usually only the worst of the worst war criminals will open fire at innocent young childrens...

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
There will be major gun reform as a result of these killings.

There will be major gun reform because the victims were innocent children. You can do a lot of things in this country, but you can't fucking kill kids. This is a wakeup call for the country.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002

There will be major gun reform because the victims were innocent children. You can do a lot of things in this country, but you can't fucking kill kids. This is a wakeup call for the country.

Totally agreed. This gas gone too far. Someone needs to be blamed and its easiest to blame lack of gun control

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
AnderN20110112_low.jpg

Guns aren't the real issue. The reason nobody wants to address the real issue is that it's a lot more difficult to do than simply banning something.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
All so willing to look for something to blame without realizing one simple fact.

Evil exists among us. Best be prepared to confront and defeat evil.

I don't think we have any real 'Spider-Man' going around able to defeat evil and arming children isn't an option.

Are they able to track the guns back to the seller? Not sure if that microstamping stuff ever went through.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
AnderN20110112_low.jpg

Guns aren't the real issue. The reason nobody wants to address the real issue is that it's a lot more difficult to do than simply banning something.

Obama needs to act and what is a easier solution than to initiate stricter gun control?

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001

Handgun ownership rights have just won a long series of supreme court and federal circuit court rulings in very recent times.