Breaking: Shooting at CT elementary school

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
People can skirt tail the issue all they want. But the truth is, its time to take guns away from people or limit how many they can own. I have stated this many times, these guns are being used to kill innocent people, rarely ever to stop a criminal. These guns should have never been allowed in that home. These things will continue to happen until we as a public recognize that the negatives with allowing guns to be owned like this by the general public, far out weigh the positives.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
People can skirt tail the issue all they want. But the truth is, its time to take guns away from people or limit how many they can own. I have stated this many times, these guns are being used to kill innocent people, rarely ever to stop a criminal. These guns should have never been allowed in that home. These things will continue too happen until we as a public recognize that the negatives with allowing guns to be owned like this by the general public, far out weigh the positives.

I hope you're trolling.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
This is why we need a gun ban, guns have one purpose and that is to do shit like this. Guns murder and maim and that is their sole function.

Andrew111

Aug 6, 2001
Needs to be more restrictions on who qualifies to own a firearm...psych tests need to be implemented as too many people are not properly diagnosed as mentally disturbed so they don't get treatment and end up buying guns and doing shit like this. Colorado guy was nutty too....and obviously this guy was too as no sane individual kills kids....it's atrocious.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Needs to be more restrictions on who qualifies to own a firearm...psych tests need to be implemented as too many people are not properly diagnosed as mentally disturbed so they don't get treatment and end up buying guns and doing shit like this. Colorado guy was nutty too....and obviously this guy was too as no sane individual kills kids....it's atrocious.

Problem with that is you're giving the state the ability to subjectively decide if you're OK to own a firearm.

That is unconstitutional on so many levels.

I think we should give tests out to see if folks can have free speech, I and only the state will decide if you are mentally fit to have such right.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001

All of this would have done absolutely nothing for this case, since his mother purchased the weapons.

Andrew111

Aug 6, 2001
Problem with that is you're giving the state the ability to subjectively decide if you're OK to own a firearm.

I think we should give tests out to see if folks can have free speech, I and only the state will decide if you are mentally fit to have such right.

No...if you have any history of mental illness then you shouldn't ever be allowed to own a gun. And before owning a gun it should be the person's responsibility to pass some kind of mental acuity test.

Last edited:

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
This is why we need a gun ban, guns have one purpose and that is to do shit like this. Guns murder and maim and that is their sole function.
Actually the neighbor's dog was killing my chickens and I blew it away. Same with the feral cat problem. Same with the coyote's killing the calves. Same for my daughter blowing away the guy that broke in house in the middle of the day. Same for the me when some douche tried to tie me up and rob my office. Same for my wife when the guy tried to rob (etc) her outside of her office. Same for the mice on the sticky traps (BB gun actually). Same for the rabid raccoon near my corn plot.

Kill is their only function.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009

Let's apply this to raising/having kids.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
No...if you have any history of mental illness than you shouldn't ever be allowed to own a gun. And before owning a gun it should be the person's responsibility to pass some kind of mental acuity test.

Like said.

You need to pass a test before you can have free speech if you have history of mental illness.

If a mental health professional feels the person is a danger to others or themselves they can declare it and said person will not be allowed to purchase a firearm.

Have you heard of the NICS check and form when you purchase a firearm?

Last edited:

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Ah, didn't see that part.

The sad thing is that they'll probably start requiring background checks on people before you can give someone a weapon as a gift now.

Good thing I'm getting a gun for Christmas this year, because it will be a pain next year!

Andrew111

Aug 6, 2001
Like said.

You need to pass a test before you can have free speech if you have history of mental illness.

If a mental health professional feels the person is a danger to others or themselves they can declare it and said person will not be allowed to purchase a firearm.

My point was people not properly identified earlier as mentally disturbed...but apparently a classmate of the shooter tweeted that this dude was obviously having issues before....who knows if he was diagnosed though. And it's a moot point in this case with the mom buying the guns...wonder if she bought them for him or he just took them from her.

Last edited:

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Like said.

It'd be funny because you wouldn't be allowed to have either a gun OR free speech in such a scenario

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
This is a serious question for the knee-jerked-ban-all-guns crowd: what if the lunatic had waited until all the kids are outside, by the bus stop, and ran them over with a car? Ban cars too?

Now, now, rational answers only. Go!

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
This is a serious question for the knee-jerked-ban-all-guns crowd: what if the lunatic had waited until all the kids are outside, by the bus stop, and ran them over with a car? Ban cars too?

The rational answer is ban SSSnail.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com

dumbest argument in history. cars were made to drive. guns were made to kill. not even comparable.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
dumbest argument in history. cars were made to drive. guns were made to kill. not even comparable.

Some guns are used to kill in a lawful and productive manner. Prohibiting just one person from protecting themselves outweighs any potential positives of preventing spree killers from using them.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003

I would check your troll radar, but .....

.... if cars were made to drive, guns were made to shoot.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
that doesn't make sense since she was already dead. it would make sense if he left her alive.

1) this guy was mental... making sense is not part of the MO
2) if you were spiritual/religious it makes a lot of sense.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
They put up a graphic that 47% of US households have a firearm. That's amazing to me. Thought it'd be only a small percentage.

With home burglaries still happening, so much for putting doubt/fear in criminals' minds. The threat of a possible CCW just wouldn't seem to work that way either. I am for personal protection, but people need to realize the chaos it could cause.

Last edited:

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I would check your troll radar, but .....

.... if cars were made to drive, guns were made to shoot.

I thought the weapon expert here have always said that if you are carrying and you're ready to shoot, you have to shoot to kill. Isn't that correct?