Breaking: Shooting at CT elementary school

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
They put up a graphic that 47% of US households have a firearm. That's amazing to me. Thought it'd be only a small percentage.

With home burglaries still happening, so much for putting doubt/fear in criminals' minds. The threat of a possible CCW just wouldn't seem to work that way either.

They put up a graphic that 53% of US households don't have a firearm. That's amazing to me. Thought it'd be only a small percentage.

With home burglaries still happening, who knows how much lower the rate would be if more people owned and properly used firearms for home defense. The threat of possible CCW has nothing to do with what I'm saying but I'll just put in a useless sentence anyway.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
With home burglaries still happening, who knows how much lower the rate would be if more people owned and properly used firearms for home defense. The threat of possible CCW has nothing to do with what I'm saying but I'll just put in a useless sentence anyway.

Uhh let me put 2 + 2 together for you. If they're willing to ~50/50 chance being shot at in a home invasion (which is a pretty good chance), what makes you think they won't chance that in a public place with CCWs? And people use that as a pro to CCWs?

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
I thought the weapon expert here have always said that if you are carrying and you're ready to shoot, you have to shoot to kill. Isn't that correct?

I believe that is meant to illustrate the severity of the act of drawing your weapon.

In more words: if you are not prepared to possibly kill a man in a defense scenario (and the consequential legal ramifications), you shouldn't carry a gun.

Uhh let me put 2 + 2 together for you. If they're willing to ~50/50 chance being shot at in a home invasion, what makes you think they won't chance that in a public place with CCWs? And people use that as a pro to CCWs?

That is inane. You say 47% of households own guns. You then say that burglaries "still happen." Those two pieces of information say nothing. The fact that the burglary rate is what it is today (and not higher) could be due to the fact that 47% of households have guns. It could be due to unicorn farts.

Try to make sense.

Last edited:

MaxPayne63

Dec 19, 2011
If they're willing to ~50/50 chance being shot at in a home invasion, what makes you think they won't chance that in a public place with CCWs?

I can't tell if you're trolling or not since it should be common knowledge that the vast majority or burglaries occur when the homeowners are not present.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
dumbest argument in history. cars were made to drive. guns were made to kill. not even comparable.

In your rage of smashing the keyboard, you forgot to read my original requirement for answering - rationality. It's obvious you're not very bright, so I'm gonna try my best John Madden impression, to splain to you why you're irrational.

So here we have a guy that's bat shit insane and was hell bent on killing people. You're still with me? Close your mouth. OK. Whether he killed them with knife, gun, car, his penis, etc...irrelevant. His objective was to kill. Got it?

Just today, I read that somewhere in China, some dude hacked up 22 children in a school. Do you see a parallel here?

Anyways, a gun was made to move a projectile at extremely fast speed. Its usage is dependent on the intention of the holder, it's merely a tool. Wipe yourself, you're drooling.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
That is inane. You say 47% of households own guns. You then say that burglaries "still happen." Those two pieces of information say nothing. The fact that the burglary rate is what it is today (and not higher) could be due to the fact that 47% of households have guns.

So what % of people with CCWs should there be in one place before this fear of God is put on would-be criminals? So much so that they "won't even think about it"?

The fact that there are any at all while people are home tells you this "fear" is BS.

Last edited:

MaxPayne63

Dec 19, 2011
Oh and I just want to say that the real tragedy here (other than the deaths, obviously) is that the stigma attached to mental illness that probably prevented the shooter's friends/family from getting him help will not be addressed because idiots are too busy arguing about guns. :)

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
So what % of people with CCWs should there be in one place before this fear of God is put on would-be criminals? So much so that they "won't even think about it"?

The fact that there are any at all while people are home tells you this "fear" is BS.

How about some common sense.

You must rob someone or you can't feed your kids. There are two people. One of them has a gun. Another doesn't.

Who do you rob?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

You must rob someone or you can't feed your kids. There are two people. One of them has a gun. Another doesn't.

Who do you rob?

Muggers and burglars are thinking about the big picture. Nutjobs do not. And the previous nut job was wearing body armor, which can't be penetrated by anything a CCW allows.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001

Who do you rob?

what does that have to do with CCW people saying it puts fear into would-be criminals, the entire reason I stated what I did.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Umm, I was just commenting to you, and you were indeed talking about armed robbery.

What I mean is, when people steal for their survival they usually want to avoid all confrontation or threats to their own well-being. Thats why burglars wait for you to leave the house. And muggers prefer easy victims so they wont have to hurt them. People who wont fight back and just give in without hassle.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001

Own a gun doesnt mean have a firearm ready for personal defense. Ccw =/ gun owner.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
what does that have to do with CCW people saying it puts fear into would-be criminals, the entire reason I stated what I did.

Ok....

You want to rob someone. Do you go somewhere where half the people have guns, or somewhere where no one has a gun?

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
Umm, I was just commenting to you, and you were indeed talking about armed robbery.

What I mean is, when people steal for their survival they usually want to avoid all confrontation or threats to their own well-being. Thats why burglars wait for you to leave the house. And muggers prefer easy victims so they wont have to hurt them. People who wont fight back and just give in without hassle.

So in other words you agree with me.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ok....

You want to rob someone. Do you go somewhere where half the people have guns, or somewhere where no one has a gun?

yet there are still home invasions with people in them where half these people can kill you back. Fear what?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
A horrible thought just occurred:

Quite a few families are going to have a miserable Christmas this year. In fact this may be their Christmas memory from now until forever.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
yet there are still home invasions with people in them where half these people can kill you back. Fear what?

There is an argument that these home invasions occur when there is a high chance of no one being home.

You also have to consider by region: are we in Chicago, or in Texas, as opposed to blanket statements about the whole US.

And finally, my original point which you never addressed: About half of households own guns. Burglaries occur. How can you draw from these two fact anything about the effectiveness of gun ownership on the burglary rate? You would at least have to talk about correlation (or lack thereof) between gun ownership and burglary rate.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
There is an argument that these home invasions occur when there is a high chance of no one home.

You also have to consider by region: are we in Chicago, or in Texas?

Were there no home invasions in Texas while someone was home? We're not talking 1 in 10. 50-fuggin percent dude. Likely higher in TX. Yet it still happens. "Fear" to the would-be criminal is a poor pro-CCW reason. You don't quantify fear, do you? That's why the correlation doesn't matter. The high chance is there, shouldn't they be chicken-shit already? I mean that's what the theory is...

Last edited:

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
In your rage of smashing the keyboard, you forgot to read my original requirement for answering - rationality. It's obvious you're not very bright, so I'm gonna try my best John Madden impression, to splain to you why you're irrational.

So here we have a guy that's bat shit insane and was hell bent on killing people. You're still with me? Close your mouth. OK. Whether he killed them with knife, gun, car, his penis, etc...irrelevant. His objective was to kill. Got it?

Just today, I read that somewhere in China, some dude hacked up 22 children in a school. Do you see a parallel here?

Anyways, a gun was made to move a projectile at extremely fast speed. Its usage is dependent on the intention of the holder, it's merely a tool. Wipe yourself, you're drooling.

Well then, let's just give everyone nuclear weapons. After all, it's not the nuclear weapons that would kill people, it's the people who detonate them.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Crime and home robbery drops when citizens are allowed to defend themselves.

The gun grabbers are out in full force to use this tradgedy for political agenda.

Shame on them. Facts be damned to their ignorance and dispelled myths.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Were there no home invasions in Texas while someone was home? We're not talking 1 in 10. 50-fuggin percent dude. Likely higher in TX. Yet it still happens. "Fear" to the would-be criminal is a poor pro-CCW reason. You don't quantify fear, do you? That's why the correlation doesn't matter.

Do you even know what "CCW" stands for? What does that have to do with home invasion?

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
Were there no home invasions in Texas while someone was home? We're not talking 1 in 10. 50-fuggin percent dude. Likely higher in TX. Yet it still happens. "Fear" to the would-be criminal is a poor pro-CCW reason. You don't quantify fear, do you? That's why the correlation doesn't matter. The high chance is there, shouldn't they be chicken-shit already? I mean that's what the theory is...

I'm going to stop. You've convinced me. You're totally right.