Black Ops 2 Thread - 11-13-12

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
I was gonna post that earlier but work got in the way :p

Interesting how they're going from killstreaks to score-streaks, I guess it's not that dissimilar from how the Support killstreaks work in MW3 but it could be interesting.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I was gonna post that earlier but work got in the way :p

Interesting how they're going from killstreaks to score-streaks, I guess it's not that dissimilar from how the Support killstreaks work in MW3 but it could be interesting.

It's just like the assault package...you get points for doing lots of stuff other than kills like capping flags, and they stack....but you lose it all if you die. The support class is gone, it's basically back to the way it was in MW2, with a twist.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
From a YouTube video I watched, it is stated that everything earns you points now. Kills are a flat 100 points, IIRC. But objective earnings like flag capping in Dom or even grabbing a flag in CTF are worth MORE than kills.

So, if you are a heavy objective player, you have the chance to earn even more streaks than a kill-whore.

What isn't clear to me yet is if the streaks reset on death or if there will be a support option like in MW3.

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
This is Homefront's system. Guess most of y'all didn't play that game in multiplayer. :)

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
From a YouTube video I watched, it is stated that everything earns you points now. Kills are a flat 100 points, IIRC. But objective earnings like flag capping in Dom or even grabbing a flag in CTF are worth MORE than kills.

So, if you are a heavy objective player, you have the chance to earn even more streaks than a kill-whore.

What isn't clear to me yet is if the streaks reset on death or if there will be a support option like in MW3.

There is no support, streaks reset on death. It's like they stretched out an olive branch to objective players, and then smashed them over the head with it. This would be a step forward had MW3 not done it so much better with the support class. The dominant player will be the one who hangs back and farms kills and streaks.

Last edited:

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
From what I heard, a couple objective scores and a couple kills should get you dogs or close to it. Doesn't sound too bad to me.

Personally I didn't mind BO's killstream system. MW3's is a change of pace, but it was unnecessary. It just caters to the new players. While support streaks are a more reasonable compromise for newbies than death streaks or Assassin, I still won't really miss it.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
From what I heard, a couple objective scores and a couple kills should get you dogs or close to it. Doesn't sound too bad to me.

Personally I didn't mind BO's killstream system. MW3's is a change of pace, but it was unnecessary. It just caters to the new players. While support streaks are a more reasonable compromise for newbies than death streaks or Assassin, I still won't really miss it.

Dogs are 1275 points. A kill in an obj game only gets you 50 points. An attack/defend kill gets you 125. Capping a flag gets you 150. So, you still have to PTFO if you want a reasonable chance at high killstreaks in obj games. Good luck getting that many point if you're actually capping flags though.

Support streaks weren't for noobs. They were for aggressive players. The guy that gets that bomb plant in the middle of the sh*t, because he isn't afraid to jump in the fray because he doesn't have a streak to protect. They kept the game moving. Now people are going to be a lot more risk averse.

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
Support streaks weren't for noobs. They were for aggressive players. The guy that gets that bomb plant in the middle of the sh*t, because he isn't afraid to jump in the fray because he doesn't have a streak to protect. They kept the game moving. Now people are going to be a lot more risk averse.

I agree! Ill rolled support all the time while playin Dom but I was always going for flags so it was nearly impossible for me to get anything on assault.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I agree! Ill rolled support all the time while playin Dom but I was always going for flags so it was nearly impossible for me to get anything on assault.

Yep. Your playstyle is apparently no longer welcome. At least, you're not getting any cookies for it, while the campers and pussies get to play with all the toys.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
I agree that is how some people used Support. But that's not why they included it. It was for the newblets who couldn't get a streak together.

I will miss it when playing Dom by myself. On a team it's not much an issue. But in pub matches, sheesh.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I agree that is how some people used Support. But that's not why they included it. It was for the newblets who couldn't get a streak together.

I will miss it when playing Dom by myself. On a team it's not much an issue. But in pub matches, sheesh.

People are going to wish support was back when they play the skill based mode that matches you up against people as good as you, who won't let you get a 5 kill streak, let alone a 15.

Last edited:

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
I'll miss Support when I'm playing by myself against a whole clan of people who know how to play the game or play like douches...and those two criteria go hand-in-hand more often than not in MW3.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Just announced on live stream: Orbital VSAT is just like Blackbird in BO1. Nothing hides you from it!

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Here are a few other things I've picked up watching the livestream and some other vids:

Kills made while you have a UAV up earn you 10 streakpoints for each kill
Domination now has 2 rounds with spawn swap (unsure if this is a separate mode or not)
"Fast Mags" attachment looks to be like dual mags from BO
No perks affect a gun's performance, period. This means no Steady Aim and no Sleight of Hand :(
Laser attachment (like from BF3) improves hipfire
"Assault Shield" (aka Riot Shield) can be planted in the ground in addition to being carried as primary or on your back
Knife can be equipped as a separate weapon. It is equipped if you spend all your points and have no other weapons. Lunge is practically non-existent. There are additional types of knives other than the standard "Combat Knife" that everyone gets.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
I liked support kill streaks. I'm a decent player but aggressive, so I tend to not get more than a 5 or so run at a time. Boo hiss. I do like the idea of equalizing players into skill level. No more games being ruined by folks who are just plain horrible. I can play with middle of the roaders like myself, noobs can noob bomb each other into oblivion, and you top notch guys can do your thing without us low class getting in your way.

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
Has the hardened edition been released yet? Ive bought it that last two years and I might do it again if its worth it.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Not that I've seen. I think someone else mentioned last year it came out in Sept, so that's likely when we'll see it.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
I usually never buy these special editions but owning a quadrotor seems pretty awesome. The rest of it is junk. Anyone know if the quadrotor is decent quality?

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
There's a short spot of it flying here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qQtCsR8-6I

Doesn't seem too impressive to me. You could always order it and re-sell if you don't like, probably get most of your money back. These will be sold out from retailers soon.

I made the mistake last year of cancelling my MW3 Hardened edition and trying to re-order to use some Amazon credit I had. When I cancelled, I couldn't re-order.

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
Interesting note: seems they aren't bundling Elite in this year like they did with MW3 Hardened.

I wont by paying for Elite this year. I got it with my hardened copy last year and it was worthless for months.

Oct 20, 2005
I wont by paying for Elite this year. I got it with my hardened copy last year and it was worthless for months.

So true. I am not resubscribing again.

I thought that I would save some $ by "pre-paying" for the map packs up front, but when they gave that 50% discount to everyone on July 4th or whatever, that was a huge slap in the face. So Fuck You Activision/IW.

The only real benefit was getting maps a little bit earlier than non-prem-elite users, but you know what? That really didn't do me any good since none of my friends had premium.