Black Ops 2 Thread - 11-13-12

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
and it's only a "problem" to a select vocal minority.

the other 10 million people who are playing it enjoy it.

just like with madden.

+1
If my friends pick it up, I will as well. Treyarch has surpassed IW in the COD series. MW3 was the least fun I've had in a COD game.

Besides, if you guys think COD is bad for releasing the same game with "minor" updates, take a look at Street Fighter. SF2 had 4, well 5 if you count HD Remix, versions, each requiring a NEW arcade cabinet; SF3 had 3 editions, SF4 is on its 2nd edition with damn near required $15 DLC update.

Capcom has been doing this for years. And with each new edition, it has been better than the following. Even MvC3 had a new release in less than a year.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
+1
If my friends pick it up, I will as well. Treyarch has surpassed IW in the COD series. MW3 was the least fun I've had in a COD game.

Besides, if you guys think COD is bad for releasing the same game with "minor" updates, take a look at Street Fighter. SF2 had 4, well 5 if you count HD Remix, versions, each requiring a NEW arcade cabinet; SF3 had 3 editions, SF4 is on its 2nd edition with damn near required $15 DLC update.

Capcom has been doing this for years. And with each new edition, it has been better than the following. Even MvC3 had a new release in less than a year.

Depends what you mean by "surpassed", but I agree I had more raw fun with BO then I did with MW3. The odd modes like gun game, sticks and stones, and all those were pretty fun and was the only thing making CoD feel fresh again.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
I'm buying it no matter what. Hate MW3 with passion. Liked MW2. Am still in love with Black Ops 1.

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003
+1

Definitely true about Capcom releasing the same game over and over. But here's the catch, they only charge you $30-$39 for the game. Treyarch and IW want the full $59.99, which sorta bites.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
+1

there are 6 sf2's counting HDR :p

sf2, sf2:ce, sf2t, ssf2, ssf2t.

the anniversary edition actually lets you pick which version you want to play with, some of them being in all 5.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Definitely true about Capcom releasing the same game over and over. But here's the catch, they only charge you $30-$39 for the game. Treyarch and IW want the full $59.99, which sorta bites.

If we're being honest, the amount of new content in a new cod vs the capcom fighter revisions isn't even in the same ballpark.

But in either case, it's something people really want and can't get any other way. If you're psyched about new content for your favorite game/series, the value proposition is fundamentally altered. I didnt bat an eyelash forking out $80 + tax for the ME3 collectors edition, but $60 for a random new release? What am I, made of money?

American Gunner

Platinum Member
Aug 26, 2010
first thing i thought when watching the trailer last night during the playoffs was wow, the engine is REALLY showing it's age now. the graphics are pretty poor in that game.
I have to agree with you there. I went to several different sites wondering if it was just the site. The graphics are piss poor at this point. Maybe they will do a new engine next gen.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
I wouldn't expect a new engine before the Xbox 720, but that's me.

For SP, yes graphics need to be good.

For MP, I don't really care. The gameplay is so much more important.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
If it has wager matches again, I'm buying it. I don't care how bad the rest of the game is, I got more than my money's worth with Black Ops with the wager matches alone.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Just looks like they added more weapons/kill streaks that would piss me off.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Yeah, but while there are all these new tactics thanks to the weapons/equipment/kill streaks, there will also be counters to them.

The only thing I really want is a more balanced version of Assassin. One perk that negates every thing about tracking enemies, from UAVs to C-UAVs to motion sensors, is too much. Separate the motion sensor aspect like they did in BO with Hacker or something.

That way if someone wants to really stay off the radar and play like a douche, they give up a lot by choosing 3 perks to stay undetected (e.g. Blind Eye + Assassin + Hacker).

Nemesis13

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2006
at the end of the trailer there are 3 team scores up top so hopefully multi-team death-match

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
Notes from the reveal:

-Dolphin dive is back
-Tomahawk is back
-Multi-team TDM is here (bout time)
-The knife is now an equippable item, not just a quick thumb press
-Attack Dogs KS is back
-From what others have said it looks like your loadout isn't preset slots (primary weapon, secondary weapon, etc) but instead is a "point" system where you have say, 10 points to spend on your gear. You may not want a secondary weapon but maybe you want extra attachments on your primary. Can't confirm this but apparently there's been rumor of it and seeing all the blank spots in each class would support this.
-Black Ops rank emblems + custom emblems appear to be back.
-Spectator mode

Last edited:

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Notes from the reveal:

Dolphin dive is back

Can't stand dolphin diving. Erghgh.

I was thinking of getting BOII, but I have no desire to anymore. I just discovered Blacklight: Retribution, which is arguably 5x the quality of CoD, doesn't cost $60, and scratches my shooter itch quite nicely. Also, no $15 DLC map packs that fragment the community.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
They really need to get the hardened edition ready for preorder.
Agreed. That's why I haven't pre-ordered yet.

Can't stand dolphin diving. Erghgh.

I was thinking of getting BOII, but I have no desire to anymore. I just discovered Blacklight: Retribution, which is arguably 5x the quality of CoD, doesn't cost $60, and scratches my shooter itch quite nicely. Also, no $15 DLC map packs that fragment the community.
I've seen gameplay of that, looks cool, but I thought it was a PC game?

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I've seen gameplay of that, looks cool, but I thought it was a PC game?

Oops, I forgot I was in the console gaming forum. Indeed Blacklight: Retribution is PC only. :(

It's a fantastic shooter though. Does everything CoD does, but better. The gameplay is pretty much the same, but with a few twists that make it more tactical (players have a "hyper reality visor", or basically an in-game wall hack that lets you see the position of every single enemy, so you can never complain about being killed unexpectedly).

Also you can pilot a "hardsuit", which is basically a giant powered mech armor. CoD doesn't let you do that.

Weapons selection is large, graphics are great, and there's customization out the ass. It's F2P, meaning it costs no money up front, but if you want you can spend money to level up faster.