Black Ops 2. Did anyone cave?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I just got through exactly where you are as well before I quit and started up MP.

What the hell was that in the first level? There were 100 plus enemies who looked exactly the same, standing in the open just shooting at me. When one was close, they would charge. Got to the boat and starting blowing up random boats. This is coming from me who personally I liked BO1 SP.

Graphics are meh. Ocean level looks kind of pretty because it was bright. Everything else seemed pretty washed out. IGN's review raved about the facial animations. They were meh to me compared to other games. Hell HL2 has more human like facial animations and that was from 2004.

MP is more of the same as previous generations. Its not as bad as MW3 was (running around spraying in circles) but not as crisp as BO1 was. There is absolutely no purpose in burst firing with any weapon. Bullets dont do enough damage to the body. 9 shots to a body and it doesnt kill yet 1 to the head does. Every gun feels like the ACR in MW2 to me. ADS and spray. Its kind of boring after playing CS:GO for the past few weeks and the strategy of trying to burst right with different weapons.

IMO if you loved MW3/BO you'll probably love this game. Me, I'm glad as hell I didnt pay a dime for this game.

I face the same aggravations as you do, but as soon as I get use to the new guns, it actually becomes fun. It's not Treyarchs fault their guns are different. I also agree the game has become a lot more random than the good ol days of mw1. I guess that is because people wanted more "realism" or got tired being owned by a LMG that shot like a laser cannon.

If there is one grunt I like to add, it is the spawns. Holy hell, people are spawning in front of the map and the back now so you are constantly surrounded. But this is actually a positive to a lot of people as they don't have to worry about being spawn camped or killed in the small corner of the map. Though to be honest, even if your team sucks, you're still going to have a lousy match.

These are all just grunts I have with the game, and they are not necessarily negatives. It's just changes I have to get use to.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I caved too and Im liking it so far. The gameplay is fast and furious, reminds me of the fun we had in my old CoD4 clan on our speeded up server. As usual I prefer playing hardcore. Running and gunning with a silenced SMG + laser + cold blooded makes me feel almost invincible at times. :)

I think there is an unlimited sprint perk to be unlocked.

Remap your keys to your liking, thats what I did.

I agree the killstreaks can get annoying and wish there was some games modes to avoid them.

I disagree on the speed though, to me this game feels like Im playing at warp speed compared to MoH or BF3. I dread going back to play those games after playing this, I just know Ill feel like Im running in quicksand!

I hope that patch for the FOV comes soon, the capped at 80 bugs me big time.

Oh and the running knifers are still around.......... but I guess it wouldnt be CoD with them. :p

I didnt see a way to remap the weapon switching to the number keys. It looked like there no map for primary and secondary, only next and previous weapon. And by slow, I meant movement. Sprint runs out, and you have to stop to reload. Plus, you have to pause to do an animation when you try to vault over some things, although I think there is a perk to speed that up. It just doesnt feel as free flowing to me. I think I have extreme conditioning on the class I use, but it doesnt seem the same as Marathon Pro in BO 1.

I will say that I think you get your money's worth on the MP. Lots of game types to keep you interested, although in Party Games I couldnt find any sticks and stones matches. Does anyone know if they have a no killstreak playlist or game type?

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
I didnt see a way to remap the weapon switching to the number keys. It looked like there no map for primary and secondary, only next and previous weapon. And by slow, I meant movement. Sprint runs out, and you have to stop to reload. Plus, you have to pause to do an animation when you try to vault over some things, although I think there is a perk to speed that up. It just doesnt feel as free flowing to me. I think I have extreme conditioning on the class I use, but it doesnt seem the same as Marathon Pro in BO 1.

I will say that I think you get your money's worth on the MP. Lots of game types to keep you interested, although in Party Games I couldnt find any sticks and stones matches. Does anyone know if they have a no killstreak playlist or game type?

Oh I see, honestly I didnt try remapping the weapon switching since Ive always used mouse wheel up and down. I switched some of my key binds and just assumed you could for weapons and killstreaks too.

Reloading on the run like in BF3 would be awesome, but I always thought it looked odd in BF3 to be jumping over something and reloading at the same time. Those soldiers have some epic talents! :)

I need to read up on the perk/killstreaks to see what does what.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Reloading on the run like in BF3 would be awesome, but I always thought it looked odd in BF3 to be jumping over something and reloading at the same time. Those soldiers have some epic talents! :)

I always thought that was awesome. Even when you watch it in the kill cam...the guy takes off running and reloading like he's looking for someone else to kill. hehehe...the worst kill cam in gaming history is in BC2, when you would see a sniper with binoculars just looking at you. The Support guy using mortars in BF3 is a close second.

Anyways, I just have to get used to the timing of things. I played a lot of COD4 and BO1, so I know I used to do it. Just feels strange now.

Last edited:

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Just caved. I was torn between PC and PS3 version, but thanks to the D2D link above I got the PC version.

Fun stuff. I liked the wager modes in BO1 and am glad to see they're back. I also gained 7 levels in my first round of Nuketown. That double XP is a hell of a thing.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
I always thought that was awesome. Even when you watch it in the kill cam...the guy takes off running and reloading like he's looking for someone else to kill. hehehe...the worst kill cam in gaming history is in BC2, when you would see a sniper with binoculars just looking at you. The Support guy using mortars in BF3 is a close second.

Anyways, I just have to get used to the timing of things. I played a lot of COD4 and BO1, so I know I used to do it. Just feels strange now.

That's probably because BF doesn't really have kill cams.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Anyone else's MP games jittery? I get 60 fps but it feels laggy all the time

There's some hiccups here and there. I can't remember what map it was but when I looked out a certain window the FPS definitely dipped. Not sure what was going on but something there isn't right.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Overall Im liking the game but the killstreaks and loadouts are just annoying to me. I dont want to think to much, just give me a simple choice of deadly weapons and let me straight up kill people!!! :D

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Overall Im liking the game but the killstreaks and loadouts are just annoying to me. I dont want to think to much, just give me a simple choice of deadly weapons and let me straight up kill people!!! :D

Figuring out what works best in making you a kill machine and getting that edge is all the fun. Otherwise, it would be just like Nascar without all the crashes.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Played a little more SP last night.
Rode a horse, was instructed to hit the F key 100 times.
Ran around in circles while spraying the number "8". Wiped out the Russian army in the process.
Picked up a stinger. Never new that real life stingers had a magazine capacity of 20 missiles. I'm guessing soldiers of the early 80's had really strong legs to be carrying around 1/4 ton of spare rounds.

I saved and switched to MP where I was introduced to Half Life 2 quality environments. At least thats what it remind me when I looked at the some of the structures. I liked Half Life 2 so I guess thats a positive.

Gameplay was EXTREMELY smooth. NO lag or jitters or weirdness.
I used the laser gun like weapons to slay my rivals and I too was slayed many a time. Probably because I started drinking at that point. Toasting to Half Life 2 and all..

Tried Zombies as well but between the late hour, the alcohol and the unfamiliar zombies map I shut it down after playing "Step on a crack...burn your mother back" level.

Josh123

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2002
I played about an hours worth of the single player campaign and I'm damn glad I didn't end up buying it.

I loved how they used pretty much the exact model for every enemy in the first mission. I guess all they wear are white wife beaters lol.

This game looks so damn dated it's sad. Is it just me or did they take the weapons from Modern Warfare 3 and change a few things and rename the weapon?

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Bought it last night. Hoping to install it on my pc tonight. Looking foward to it.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
I see that CoD still brings the immature idiot out of a lot of peeps................

You can definitely tell when school lets out. From now on I am muting all before entering any online match. If only I could disable chat as well.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
I see that CoD still brings the immature idiot out of a lot of peeps................

You can definitely tell when school lets out. From now on I am muting all before entering any online match. If only I could disable chat as well.

lol, no kidding... I could hear a kid say really racist stuff... I was chuckling at first but annoying pretty quick...

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
You sure it's aimbotters and not the fact that the killcam in this game shows you an alternate reality? Have yet to see a single killcam that didn't disagree strongly with events as I experienced them.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
My Steam ID is "BlueWeasel" if anyone wants to friend me. Maybe we can get a few private AT matches going.

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
SO...does anyone know how to fix an issue upon running MP? I get the black screen which goes NO WHERE...like it is hung and never completes...

Any help is appreciated.

EDIT:

It finally had an error "'fonts/720/consolefont' for asset type 'font'"

All the fixes say to revert the language back to English...but what if mine is already set to English?

Which is listed on the direct2play website and has a patch of sorts...but when I went to download it from Server One it said it was going to be 2.5 gb's but only downloaded 350 mb...and the stinkin' password won't extract that they had listed FFS.

SO...I delete the invalid archive and try to download it again and now it is 0 bytes lol!

Anyways...does anyone know if this is something that will eventually be fixed via Steam vs. some third party fix?

Thanks!

Last edited:

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Does anyone actually use lean? The actual lean movement is so little, I don't see the point.

It defaults to the Q and E keys, but I'd rather use them for something else.