Black Friday Ads

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BKLounger

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
this is my first year as a customer instead of an employee, but i worked at a microcenter a couple years back and people were in line at 3am when the store opened at 9am. I have heard it is even worse for stores like best buy apparently people will sometimes wait overnight. Also i have talked to some people and apparently the best thing is to find an out of the way store a store people are less likely to go to. Malls would be a bad idea if you ask me.

shiro

May 24, 2005
so what happens when the stores actually open? Do people make a mad dash for the items they want? Or do the employees keep order in the line and have a no frantic scrambling or you get kicked out policy?

BKLounger

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
well what they do with the doorbuster (early bird) items is most places will come outside and they will ask the first people in line what they are here for and hand them a ticket. Then the people with tickets just walk inside and get the item. Some people try to make a mad dash but then they realize they are just a tool without a ticket so it is pointless.

aceO07

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2000
I haven't really found anything good. Nothing that makes me actually want to go out and get them. Maybe the TVs, but I don't really want them.

The CompUSA deals have too many catches. Most of the stuff like the cameras are still at retail price.

mikek753

Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: BKLounger
this is my first year as a customer instead of an employee, but i worked at a microcenter a couple years back and people were in line at 3am when the store opened at 9am. I have heard it is even worse for stores like best buy apparently people will sometimes wait overnight. Also i have talked to some people and apparently the best thing is to find an out of the way store a store people are less likely to go to. Malls would be a bad idea if you ask me.

you have to check Fry's at BF - it was ZOO in San Jose.
I'm not strong BFer so I didn't go to Fry's, but I checked it out at about 10 AM when all early B items were already gone for like a 3 hours!!! and the line inside store was about 2 - 3 hours long!!!
ppl came to Fry's before midnight to get the cheapest digi cams and mp3 - those junkds IMHO anyway.
I think that's more about "spirit" then how much you can save.

So far I don't see Fry's BF ads, but I don't see anything good to waste 6 hours time for from other stores ether.
From year to year BF is going to be weaker and weaker.

yes, you can get some cheap DVDR and save $3-$10 per 50 blanks ...
what else?

I don't see any single one SATA 200+ gb hdd - I was hoping to get ...
the good items will not be on sale this time :-(

BKLounger

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
yeah i have been looking for 300gb+ external hdd's so far staples is the best choice with the 400gb for 100 but i am still praying microcenter comes out with some awesome deals. (they are much closer to where i live than staples).

AlgaeEater

May 9, 2006
Originally posted by: dehemke
For all the BF veterans, how early is early?

When does one need to show up in order to have a good shot at the better deals?

Actually how "Late" is a better term. Basically some stores like Fry's electronics or Best Buy practically mean you have to get to the store front by Midnight-2AM if you want to score the good deals. There's already a line forming at Midnight, and usually the 1st 100 people in line who get stuff are people who camped the night before.

Just a bit of warning though that BF brings out the absolute worst in people, and Fry's is notoriously the worst. In city of industry last year, people assualt cops for christ's sake and trampled a lot of children that were about. Not to mention theft of items.

creedawg

Feb 12, 2002
Does anyone have an idea of what the prices will be online for the Panasonic 50PX60U?

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Panasoni...sma_TV,__18142958/sort_type=bottomline

I called OneCall and they have no idea what the prices will be towards next week. So maybe
if someone knew ahead of time what the prices maybe. I understand that the 50PX60U will be
$1999.99 at Circuit City + $100 off for new Comcast members btw 5am - 11pm on Friday. So if
anyone has some on-line retailers that would be great.

Cree

Fiat1

Dec 27, 2003
Creedawg:
The CC price is a great price. I have this model and it rocks I paid $2,100.00. I have it hooked up to a Yamaha rx-v2700 and dish vip622.

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: mikek753

you have to check Fry's at BF - it was ZOO in San Jose.
I'm not strong BFer so I didn't go to Fry's, but I checked it out at about 10 AM when all early B items were already gone for like a 3 hours!!! and the line inside store was about 2 - 3 hours long!!!
ppl came to Fry's before midnight to get the cheapest digi cams and mp3 - those junkds IMHO anyway.
I think that's more about "spirit" then how much you can save.

So far I don't see Fry's BF ads, but I don't see anything good to waste 6 hours time for from other stores ether.
From year to year BF is going to be weaker and weaker.

yes, you can get some cheap DVDR and save $3-$10 per 50 blanks ...
what else?

I don't see any single one SATA 200+ gb hdd - I was hoping to get ...
the good items will not be on sale this time :-(

The past 4 years I've gone to Fry's, I went at like 5am, leaving 1 hr before opening. Last year they opened at 5AM and I didn't know, and I go thtere at 4:30. Each time I ran into a friend who let me cut and they would be there at 2am.

BF is not worth it unless you run for the good stuff. I always get the 160gb hard drives that go for $20 to sell on Ebay, but the thing is Fry's gets TRUCKLOADS of Hard Drives, so it's not like it runs out... I never find anything useful at BF anymore.

rmrfhomeoops

Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: DLeRium

The past 4 years I've gone to Fry's, I went at like 5am, leaving 1 hr before opening. Last year they opened at 5AM and I didn't know, and I go thtere at 4:30. Each time I ran into a friend who let me cut and they would be there at 2am.

BF is not worth it unless you run for the good stuff. I always get the 160gb hard drives that go for $20 to sell on Ebay, but the thing is Fry's gets TRUCKLOADS of Hard Drives, so it's not like it runs out... I never find anything useful at BF anymore.

Did you encounter any problems when your friends let you into the front? I would imagine the people behind you would protest. How did you & your friends handle the situation?

shaunnol

Nov 17, 2006
There should be a pool for betting how many people will end up injured in the mad Black Friday rush that will come next week. That will be a sight to see.

chrisrod01

Banned
Apr 16, 2005
Originally posted by: shaunnol
There should be a pool for betting how many people will end up injured in the mad Black Friday rush that will come next week. That will be a sight to see.

No, thanks the deals are not that great and plus im so tired after the ps3 camping outside the parking lot and hauling ass at 4am to line up so messed up..

BKLounger

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
anybody got any word on the fry's or microcenter ad. Bf is only 6 days away and still no sign of either of their ads.

Dec 27, 2001
anybody got any word on the fry's or microcenter ad. Bf is only 6 days away and still no sign of either of their ads.

Last time, Frys came out at the last minute. Like 2 days before or something.

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
from CC

Sandisk 1GB USB Cruzer Mini ($26 mail-in rebate)
$3.99 Doorbuster Sale Rebate Involved
Sandisk 2GB Cruzer USB 2.0 Portable Flash Drive
$12.99

i think thats pretty decent... hardly worth camping, but oh well :)

rshack has "koss clips" for $3.99. My guess is those would be KSC9, but if otherwise they are ksc75, then it is HOT

staples has 200gb maxtors for $20.

thats about it i guess

nealh

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 1999
Originally posted by: VanillaH
from CC

Sandisk 1GB USB Cruzer Mini ($26 mail-in rebate)
$3.99 Doorbuster Sale Rebate Involved
Sandisk 2GB Cruzer USB 2.0 Portable Flash Drive
$12.99

i think thats pretty decent... hardly worth camping, but oh well :)

rshack has "koss clips" for $3.99. My guess is those would be KSC9, but if otherwise they are ksc75, then it is HOT

staples has 200gb maxtors for $20.

thats about it i guess
reviews on the 2gb complain about about U3 software....

GHacker

Jul 7, 2001
No decent video card deals...

:( I saw in one of the BF lists that CUSA will have a $129.99 7900GS - it's the only thing keeping me from beating myself up over missing the $149.99 7900GS from BB. Of course the likelihood of actually getting one at that price are slim to none - I'm not about to camp out or get up at 5AM for it, and if they only have 5 or something at each store they will probably be snatched up by employees...