• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 7452 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I have a bunch of passive cpu coolers sandwiching my cable modem. Pretty sure have a bunch of coolers with fans as well.

Last edited:

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Wait that's still a good system why toss it?

You can probably get like $500+ for that 1080 right now. Some are going for about $1,500 on ebay.
I'm going to keep using the 1080 Ti. You are correct. GPU is going for over $1,000 on eBay and Amazon. I'm just tossing the case.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I have a bunch of passive cpu coolers sandwiching my cable modem. Pretty sure have a bunch of coolers with fans as well.
But do you have a i7 4790K box? Think about it. You could be the first one on your block with the original box. Collect them all! Put it in a curio.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Well, this is a slow project. I'm still fiddling with the case. I realized that I had to think how I was going to do this beforehand. That dreaded planning. So, I'm watching some videos on how to install that monster Noctua cooler. I'm watching them cry about how difficult installing the AM4 bracket is with the motherboard installed in the case. I thought, why not just install the mounting bracket and backplate while the motherboard is out of the case and install the cooler after the motherboard is installed. Plus, I needed to install the BluRay drive. Plus, I needed to set up a storage layout. You'd be surprised how extensive this changeover is.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.uovalor.com
Nef. One more day shift then I'm off for 2 days.

Asked to go back on mostly days to see if it helps my jaw clenching issue since maybe the night shifts are not helping. Downside of that is way more 8h shifts so less time off. But if it does end up helping that issue then I guess it will be worth it.

Reactions: bigboxes

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Told ya. Much easier to install the NH15 mounting brackets before you install the motherboard. The youtube videos seem to be showing how to do this with the mobo already installed in the case. Makes no sense unless you're just changing out the cooler and not doing a new build.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
It's always easier to install the cpu and cooler before mounting mb to case. Putting the mb in after cpu and cooler install may be challenging depending on the case though.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.uovalor.com
Been looking at hardware myself as I want to eventually upgrade my VM server. holy crap epyc is expensive. :eek: Like 8+ grand for a cpu. I don't see very many options under a grand either. Looks like I may need to stick with Intel for my next server build.

Or I chance not having ECC, and go with Ryzen. But problem with that is you need a GPU. So probably end up going Xeon. I found the site https://www.pc-canada.com and they sell server stuff. Memory Express and Canadacomputers don't.

I don't really have any money to build either way though, just fun to look at options. By the time I'm actually ready to build, DDR5 will probably be out and I think that will be ECC even on desktop side so that will make home server options better since I can just use desktop parts.

I installed Jellyfin and my dreaded NFS performance issues seem to have resurfaced again whenever I try to use it. Either need to find something other than NFS or just upgrade all the hardware. I think NFS itself is the bottleneck and not the hardware though... I could look at switching to iSCSI but that's trickier to setup once I start introducing multiple VM hosts as I need a cluster aware file system. There's Gluster but that is ridiculously complicated to setup.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.uovalor.com
VM server. :p

But yeah not paying like 10 grand for a cpu lol. Probably stick with 8 cores and go Xeon route. Even the 8 core Epycs are crazy expensive. I'd probably be building 3 VM servers anyway to create a proper HA cluster.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
VM server. :p

But yeah not paying like 10 grand for a cpu lol. Probably stick with 8 cores and go Xeon route. Even the 8 core Epycs are crazy expensive. I'd probably be building 3 VM servers anyway to create a proper HA cluster.

Eh? 24 core 2U Epyc servers from dell is like C$8400 with 256gb ram brand new.

HA is stupid for home lab.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.uovalor.com
Eh? 24 core 2U Epyc servers from dell is like C$8400 with 256gb ram brand new.

HA is stupid for home lab.
Dell must be getting them at better prices then. I was looking at just the CPUs alone. They seem to be in the upper 1k to 10k range.

I want HA mostly so I can shift VMs around servers and also have more redundancy. My storage is still going to be the single point of failure though. I do want to look into clustered storage at some point. Maybe even do away with having dedicated storage and have it on the servers, but shared. Gluster or something. Complex to setup though. Lot of stuff to look into. I just find I have lot of performance issues with my current setup so I do want to start rethinking it and making it better.

With free ESXi I don't really have any easy means of adding VM server capacity either since I don't get any of the features like vmotion, HA etc so that's mainly why I would move to Proxmox. Last I tried it, it was finicky though, but it might be better now.

ASK THE COMMUNITY