At what point will NY Jets fans realize its all hype?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 11, 2004
All props and major, major respect to Rex Ryan, who took a team with sub .500 talent last year to the playoffs and has a team with 9-7 talent this year @ 8-2.

The "hype" is crafty, intentional and strategic. It is not just Rex running his mouth. It is Rex getting his middling band of players to believe in themselves quite beyond their objective talent. It is brilliant. It is also hard to sustain over the long haul, but . . . success can breed success so if they can draft and nurture substance they stand a chance of sustaining this hype.

In the meantime, it's been all gain and gravy over what would else have been. Care to argue with that?

Defense can take you very, very far. Just like his daddy, Rex Ryan is a defensive master.

I love Rex. You are free to hate him. Indeed, he is manipulating you to do just that.

So, really, who's the tool here and who's the craftsman?

I was fairly critical of the Jets, even pretty recently, but they've proven they are a good team.

I do take issue with you claiming sub .500 talent last year. Their offensive line, fullback, and running back setup alone was .500 level. Then the year Revis had, and their defense was ok. I would say they are playing beyond their talent level this year, but there's still quite a few games left to see how long they keep it up, and if that translates to the playoffs at all.

Seriously...

Ravens L 0-9
Patriots W 28-14
Dolphins W 31-23
buffalo W 38-14
vikings W 29-20
broncos W 24-20
packers L 0-9
lions W 23-20
browns W 26-20
texans W 30-27
bengals W 24-10

you dont get points for winning the weakest schedule in the NFL.
Your wins are against opponents with a combined WEAK 33-59.

There are teams in the big 10 with a harder schedule than that.

Actually, you do. Not sure what's so weak about that schedule either.

In the NFL, a win is a win. See 2008 Arizona Cardinals.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
Actually, you do. Not sure what's so weak about that schedule either.

In the NFL, a win is a win. See 2008 Arizona Cardinals.

I understand a win is a win but (record up to week 12 in parentheses):

(7-3) Ravens L 0-9
(8-2) Patriots W 28-14
(5-5) Dolphins W 31-23
(2-8) buffalo W 38-14
(3-7) vikings W 29-20
(3-7) broncos W 24-20
(7-3) packers L 0-9
(2-8) lions W 23-20
(3-7) browns W 26-20
(4-6) texans W 30-27

After week 11, a combined record of 44-56 (0.440).

(2-8) bengals W 24-10

Looking at this opponent, a combined record of 46-64 (0.418).

Actually, this isn't like Ohio State's schedule as they haven't beaten anyone really good this year, this is more Like Oregon's schedule. With one quality win (Stanford) and everyone praising you for being awesome, better than everyone else and flat out amazing while holding that same thing (one quality win) against BSU or TCU.

Looking ahead for when week 12 is over:

(8-3?) Ravens L 0-9
(9-2) Patriots W 28-14
(5-6?) Dolphins W 31-23
(2-9?) buffalo W 38-14
(4-7?) vikings W 29-20
(3-8?) broncos W 24-20
(8-3?) packers L 0-9
(2-9) lions W 23-20
(4-7?) browns W 26-20
(5-6?) texans W 30-27
(2-9) bengals W 24-10

A combined record of 52?-69? (0.430?). The ? is a guess for win / loss this week.

Last edited:

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
The cool thing about sports is that hype does not really matter, it comes down to if you win or lose. In football there is always a winner and a loser.

I doubt the Jets can get pass the Patriots.

Terzo

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2005
Seriously...

Ravens L 0-9
Patriots W 28-14
Dolphins W 31-23
buffalo W 38-14
vikings W 29-20
broncos W 24-20
packers L 0-9
lions W 23-20
browns W 26-20
texans W 30-27
bengals W 24-10

And as much as it pains me to say it, I don't think the Ravens are that good this year. The general sentiment around here seems to be that we are not playoff level team, even if our record indicates otherwise.

I'm also not holding my breath with the Jets since they seem to have difficulty closing it out in the 4th quarter. The previous 3 weeks, games went down to the last drive or overtime. Against the Browns, Texans, and Lions. Not to belittle the play of those teams (especially the Lions and Browns, who should really be doing better), but if the Jets are as good as they say they are they shouldn't let it come down to the wire like that against relatively mediocre teams.

Right now, of the Jets wins only one is against a team who is above 500, and one against a team who is 500. If they can beat the Bears, Steelers, and Patriots (again), I'll take them more seriously.

The cool thing about sports is that hype does not really matter, it comes down to if you win or lose. In football there is always a winner and a loser.

Not quite. Browns almost managed to tie it with the Jets. :p

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Didn't the Browns beat the Patriots? There's a lot of parity in the NFL this year. No one will care what happened in the regular season anyway once the playoff start.

9-2 baby. 9-2.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Seriously...

Ravens L 0-9
Patriots W 28-14
Dolphins W 31-23
buffalo W 38-14
vikings W 29-20
broncos W 24-20
packers L 0-9
lions W 23-20
browns W 26-20
texans W 30-27
bengals W 24-10

who gives a shit who they beat - they are 9-2. record is the ONLY thing that matters in the NFL.

Terzo

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2005
who gives a shit who they beat - they are 9-2. record is the ONLY thing that matters in the NFL.

Record is meaningless once you make it to the playoffs. Despite the Ravens being 7-3 I don't have much hope for us when (if?) we get to the playoffs; right now we are not playoff calibre. I would say the Steelers are better, but they fell apart against New England, so I'm not sure.

I don't doubt the Jets will make it to the playoffs, but I'm not sure how well they'll do. As I said, I'm waiting to see how they perform in their upcoming games before passing a final judgment on them.

Mar 11, 2004
Record is meaningless once you make it to the playoffs. Despite the Ravens being 7-3 I don't have much hope for us when (if?) we get to the playoffs; right now we are not playoff calibre. I would say the Steelers are better, but they fell apart against New England, so I'm not sure.

I don't doubt the Jets will make it to the playoffs, but I'm not sure how well they'll do. As I said, I'm waiting to see how they perform in their upcoming games before passing a final judgment on them.

I wouldn't count out the Ravens, they've got experience, and that counts a lot late in the season. Plus Ed Reed seems to be returning to form.

I think its going to be Pats, Jets, Steelers, Ravens, and then the teams that win the South and West.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
And as much as it pains me to say it, I don't think the Ravens are that good this year. The general sentiment around here seems to be that we are not playoff level team, even if our record indicates otherwise.

I'm also not holding my breath with the Jets since they seem to have difficulty closing it out in the 4th quarter. The previous 3 weeks, games went down to the last drive or overtime. Against the Browns, Texans, and Lions. Not to belittle the play of those teams (especially the Lions and Browns, who should really be doing better), but if the Jets are as good as they say they are they shouldn't let it come down to the wire like that against relatively mediocre teams.

Right now, of the Jets wins only one is against a team who is above 500, and one against a team who is 500. If they can beat the Bears, Steelers, and Patriots (again), I'll take them more seriously.

you mean the browns that tore through the patriots, or the texans that waylaid the colts, or the lions that were just a few yards from making the game winning field goal against the packers?

baller.gif

Last edited:

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Go back to week 2 please.
Thank you and goodbye.

And week 2 will zero indication of what will happen when they meet next, would you have thought the Pats would completely dominate Pittsburgh IN PITT after the crapfest they put out in Cleveland?, just depends who makes plays and who has a better game plan...

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
you mean the browns that tore through the patriots, or the texans that waylaid the colts, or the lions that were just a few yards from making the game winning field goal against the packers?

Yes, those teams that got either lucky or happened to click that one time in the season. The teams you mentioned -combined- have as many wins as the Jets. I wouldn't make more of it that it is, because the Jets shouldn't have struggled with any of those teams, really. None of them can be considered good.

Last edited:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
and yet you can say the same thing about every other team that is currently in a playoff spot, and still the jets have the leagues best record.

gimmewhitecastles

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2005
And week 2 will zero indication of what will happen when they meet next, would you have thought the Pats would completely dominate Pittsburgh IN PITT after the crapfest they put out in Cleveland?, just depends who makes plays and who has a better game plan...

i was replying to siddharta who implied the jets have no chance of beating the pats on monday.

the jets thoroughly thrashed them that game. i think they have more than a puncher's chance of beating the pats imo. ;)

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

given that the cheatriots almost never lose back to back and hittsburgh is starting to sign practice squad guys to start on their O-line, wasn't that big of a surprise.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
given that the cheatriots almost never lose back to back and hittsburgh is starting to sign practice squad guys to start on their O-line, wasn't that big of a surprise.

The O-line only explains why they didn't do so well offensively. It doesn't excuse one of the best Ds in the league getting 39 points hung on them.

Last edited:

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
The Jets are a good team, nothing to be too embarrased about unless you are trying to remember the glory days. Be proud Jets fans. But don't fool yourself into thinking a SB is a for sure thing.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000

hittsburgh has been winning since that game, they just got outplayed that day, plain and simple. I'd like to tell you the Jet's are gonna lose but fact is I'd be talking bullshit, both are good teams so it's just going to come down to planning, execution, and attitude IMO..

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
The Jets are a good team, nothing to be too embarrased about unless you are trying to remember the glory days. Be proud Jets fans. But don't fool yourself into thinking a SB is a for sure thing.

This.

Even as a lifelong Jets fan I have unyielding faith that they will find some way, some how, at some point to completely fuxxor things up. Nothing is ever certain with the Jets, even the playoffs at this point. If you really are hoping for a SB then you are primed for a letdown.

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Perhaps reality will be slowly setting in for the Jets and their fans after tonite game.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
wow omg they lost one game, have split the series with the pats, and are still 9-3 wow they are terrible...

:rolleyes;

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Ok, I'm back in this thread for the first time since I posted it.

I said they would be lucky to get to 10-6.
After the Pats beat them like dogs they are 9-3.
The Jets played one of the weakest schedules, won two overtime games, and third at the last second. So luck definitely has broken their way. Big time.
Of their last 4 games they play Pittsburgh and Chicago, two top teams, and Miami at .500 and the Bills in the basement. If they go 2-2 and end up 11-5 I missed by one game. And it would be fair to say the Jets didn't just get lucky, they got real lucky. Maybe they go 3-1 and end up 12-4. Great year, but they certainly did get lucky a bunch.

I said watch out for an aging LT. Well, after a good start his yards per carry has gone way down and he was not used as much against the Pats. He doesn't look like the runner he was in the first 5-7 games. So, I was right about that.

Sanchez. He progressed a little faster than I thought, but I still can't see him moving into the top half of QB's in the league. You could argue he's somewhere about the top of the bottom third. He has a good D and good running game. Most QB's don't get that.

So, with the greatest luck the Jets are 9-3. If the luck had broken even they'd be maybe 7-5.
So, the Super Jets were hype. They're a pretty good team that has had a good season so far.

Last edited: