At what point will NY Jets fans realize its all hype?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I gotta admit, with Rex Ryan barking like a carnival huckster and the media's lap dog sports shows, NY Jets fans are jumping around like they have a great team this year.

Seriously, an aging LT, a young QB who hasn't figured it out yet and a good D doesn't get you to the Super Bowl.

Gawd, after watching a few of the Jets exhibition games and looking over their roster, they will be lucky to get to 10-6, more likely only 9-7 or worse.

imported_Champ

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2008
Mark Sanchez is not an elite QB

The defense is solid but the lynch pin is Revis...they need him more then he needs them

blotto

Feb 11, 2006
Don't forget they made the AFC championship game last year and have made some big additions of (aging) supperstars. If Revis can get his shit straight they will have a monster secondary and defense as a whole.
LT looked pretty damn good in the 1st preseason game. I haven't seen any since but I wouldn't call him washed out yet.
It hurts to say this because I hate the Jets with a passion but if Revis signs and they can avoid major injury, I think the jets have every shot at the Superbowl.

Reliant

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I think they have a shot at making the playoffs, but all their talk will either give them a false sense of themselves or put a bullseye on their back with they play other teams.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
you mean the hype where there first string defense has given up a combined 13 points so far this preseason, yeah...would hate to have that type of hype.

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
i just bet guy at work, who is big jets fan, that they would not win the super bowl. easy bet for me!!!

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
you mean the hype where there first string defense has given up a combined 13 points so far this preseason, yeah...would hate to have that type of hype.

I don't think anyone doubts their defense. Their offense is where the doubt comes in.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I don't think anyone doubts their defense. Their offense is where the doubt comes in.

remind me how prolific the bears, ravens, or bucs offense was or how that armageddon of a colts offense managed to get to the bowl all those years in a row.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
jest.jpg

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
L.T. is just an average back at this point. They lost Thomas Jones who just misses being among the very top backs in all football.

Sanchez doesn't have the big arm, nor the great accuracy. It's a little too soon to judge exactly how accurate he is at this point, since he makes a lot of rushed and off balance throws.

Jets fans are assuming Sanchez will improve off last season. A lot of QB's don't their second year, some go backwards.

Sanchez does nothing great. He is competent in a lot of areas, and it all depends on how well he learns the position. He will never be Peyton or Brees. The question is whether he will be good enough not to hurt the team.

The Jets didn't play a particulary difficult schedule in terms of offensive teams last year. And the AFC East wasn't exactly a scoring powerhouse, except for the Pats, who didn't have a great offensive year. That's 6 games against fairly middle of the pack offenses, on average.

If you take away the "assumptions" Sanchez will improve a lot, LT will bounce back, the running game will be anywhere near as good as it was last year and the belief the end of the year run will carry over, you're left with a 7-9 team that on the whole will be the same, unless most of the assumptions turn out to be the case.

Last edited:

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
They need Reeeeeevis, that guy was crazy good last year. Apparently he wants a billion dollars though...they need to find a medium.

Just because they're on hard knocks doesn't mean everyone has them in the superbowl though. It's just been a long time since Jets fans have had much hope :)

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
They need Reeeeeevis, that guy was crazy good last year. Apparently he wants a billion dollars though...they need to find a medium.

Just because they're on hard knocks doesn't mean everyone has them in the superbowl though. It's just been a long time since Jets fans have had much hope :)

Well, that's the thing. Jets fans were desperate for hope and the Jets owner was desperate to sell psl's. The result is deluded Jets fans booking flights to Arlington, Texas.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
remind me how prolific the bears, ravens, or bucs offense was or how that armageddon of a colts offense managed to get to the bowl all those years in a row.

How did that vaunted Jets defense do in their last game against that "armageddon of a Colts offense"? Yeah, just as I thought. That "armageddon of a Colts offense" thoroughly and convincingly embarrassed and destroyed them after spotting them an initial 17-6 lead and running off 24 unanswered points.

You acquired LT, who is pretty much washed up and will be decent in a rotation but won't carry the team. You also got Cromartie, who couldn't find a guy he could actually tackle and is too busy trying to pay for his 10 bazillion kids by 10 bazillion women than to concentrate on the game. Go ahead and keep importing Chargers rejects.

It is a sad, sad day when I might have to actually root for the Patriots when they play the Jets just to shut their fans up. Well, OK, I don't think I would stoop that low. :awe:

EDIT: OMG, I agree with Techs! You guys are assuming Sanchez will improve and LT will be back to his old self, which are BIG assumptions.

Last edited:

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

Not only are you delusional when it comes to politics, you're delusional when it comes to sports too.

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
I don't think Sanchez has what it takes to make it to the SB yet. He's still too prone to having bad games and losing it for the team. Another couple years under his belt and he could be an elite QB since he's got some nice targets to throw to.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
How did that vaunted Jets defense do in their last game against that "armageddon of a Colts offense"? Yeah, just as I thought. That "armageddon of a Colts offense" thoroughly and convincingly embarrassed and destroyed them after spotting them an initial 17-6 lead and running off 24 unanswered points.

You acquired LT, who is pretty much washed up and will be decent in a rotation but won't carry the team. You also got Cromartie, who couldn't find a guy he could actually tackle and is too busy trying to pay for his 10 bazillion kids by 10 bazillion women than to concentrate on the game. Go ahead and keep importing Chargers rejects.

It is a sad, sad day when I might have to actually root for the Patriots when they play the Jets just to shut their fans up. Well, OK, I don't think I would stoop that low. :awe:

EDIT: OMG, I agree with Techs! You guys are assuming Sanchez will improve and LT will be back to his old self, which are BIG assumptions.

they were beating them till the third quarter, all from such a bad team which means the colts must really have sucked.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
they were beating them till the third quarter, all from such a bad team which means the colts must really have sucked.

Who said they were a bad team? Not me. But, if you must know, it was 17-6 in the first half, the Colts scored and it was 17-13 at halftime. So while technically the Jets might have had a lead at one point in the third, they were already reeling going into half time. Care to discuss the 17-0 shellacking (part of their 24-0 run) the Colts laid on Revis and Co? :D Who are you going to blame that on?

I don't trust Ryan further than I can throw him, and since he probably weighs like 450 lbs, that wouldn't be far at all. I'll be somewhat impressed if he does take them to a SB, but I'm reminded of his dad -- an awesome defensive coordinator, but as a head coach, a blowhard who could talk the talk but couldn't walk the walk.

Last edited: