At what point will NY Jets fans realize its all hype?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
colts got lucky on that drive right befre the half, team played soft since there was so little time left and it cost them. I would love to see how the game would have turned out if it was 21-6 at the start of the as it almost was.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
colts got lucky on that drive right befre the half, team played soft since there was so little time left and it cost them. I would love to see how the game would have turned out if it was 21-6 at the start of the as it almost was.

Colts still would have won. I suppose you think the Jets win against the Colts in the regular season was because of the Jets' awesome play and not because the Colts starters were all pulled when they led?

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I recall you saying the same thing right before the saints game.

Colts should have won, but guess what? They choked and were beaten by a better team. I can admit that without getting all huffy and pissy like you do when someone says something slightly negative about the Jets.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Who said they were a bad team? Not me. But, if you must know, it was 17-6 in the first half, the Colts scored and it was 17-13 at halftime. So while technically the Jets might have had a lead at one point in the third, they were already reeling going into half time. Care to discuss the 17-0 shellacking (part of their 24-0 run) the Colts laid on Revis and Co? :D Who are you going to blame that on?

I don't trust Ryan further than I can throw him, and since he probably weighs like 450 lbs, that wouldn't be far at all. I'll be somewhat impressed if he does take them to a SB, but I'm reminded of his dad -- an awesome defensive coordinator, but as a head coach, a blowhard who could talk the talk but couldn't walk the walk.

So... if you put Rex Ryan as the defensive coordinator, Josh McDaniels as the offensive coordinator, and Bill Belichick as the head coach... you might be able to make the Lions look competent!

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
So... if you put Rex Ryan as the defensive coordinator, Josh McDaniels as the offensive coordinator, and Bill Belichick as the head coach... you might be able to make the Lions look competent!
I wonder when Detroit will ever play respectably again

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
I gotta admit, with Rex Ryan barking like a carnival huckster and the media's lap dog sports shows, NY Jets fans are jumping around like they have a great team this year.

Seriously, an aging LT, a young QB who hasn't figured it out yet and a good D doesn't get you to the Super Bowl.

Gawd, after watching a few of the Jets exhibition games and looking over their roster, they will be lucky to get to 10-6, more likely only 9-7 or worse.

Yep. All hype. Lol

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
All props and major, major respect to Rex Ryan, who took a team with sub .500 talent last year to the playoffs and has a team with 9-7 talent this year @ 8-2.

The "hype" is crafty, intentional and strategic. It is not just Rex running his mouth. It is Rex getting his middling band of players to believe in themselves quite beyond their objective talent. It is brilliant. It is also hard to sustain over the long haul, but . . . success can breed success so if they can draft and nurture substance they stand a chance of sustaining this hype.

In the meantime, it's been all gain and gravy over what would else have been. Care to argue with that?

Defense can take you very, very far. Just like his daddy, Rex Ryan is a defensive master.

I love Rex. You are free to hate him. Indeed, he is manipulating you to do just that.

So, really, who's the tool here and who's the craftsman?

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
All props and major, major respect to Rex Ryan, who took a team with sub .500 talent last year to the playoffs and has a team with 9-7 talent this year @ 8-2.

The "hype" is crafty, intentional and strategic. It is not just Rex running his mouth. It is Rex getting his middling band of players to believe in themselves quite beyond their objective talent. It is brilliant. It is also hard to sustain over the long haul, but . . . success can breed success so if they can draft and nurture substance they stand a chance of sustaining this hype.

In the meantime, it's been all gain and gravy over what would else have been. Care to argue with that?

Defense can take you very, very far. Just like his daddy, Rex Ryan is a defensive master.

I love Rex. You are free to hate him. Indeed, he is manipulating you to do just that.

It's been a fun season that's for sure. One of the better ones, as I'm so used to heartbreak and "same old jets".

Still a long way to go.

mesthead21

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2004

100% correct. See the 2006 Chicago Bears

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Sanchez got nothin on Tyler Thigpen.

Excuse me while I find a quiet corner to gently sob in.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Seriously...

Ravens L 0-9
Patriots W 28-14
Dolphins W 31-23
buffalo W 38-14
vikings W 29-20
broncos W 24-20
packers L 0-9
lions W 23-20
browns W 26-20
texans W 30-27
bengals W 24-10

you dont get points for winning the weakest schedule in the NFL.
Your wins are against opponents with a combined WEAK 33-59.

There are teams in the big 10 with a harder schedule than that.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Well now we get to wait till Monday (12/6) night when the Jets/Pats square off to see who will rule the east. I'm looking forward to a gritty, chippy type of game as both teams try to establish the physical dominance side of things. Once again our "D" let the Lions move the ball way too easy for my liking but on the other hand the O-line and Brady seem to be playing at a high level right now, should be a great game..