Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by HexiumVII, May 7, 2012.

1. pauldun170

pauldun170 Diamond Member

Me thinks you are a wee bit confused

2. RJRD2

RJRD2 Senior member

no im not confused. sometimes long video cards can hit the caps on the edge of the board and wont sit down into the pci slot all the way. ive had it happen.

3. WiseUp216

WiseUp216 Platinum Member

A quick Google search and I found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMpTZwUhHVQ&noredirect=1

It shows two EVGA 560TI SC cards on a Z77 Extreme4.

There are no clearance issues.

4. pauldun170

I have the Extreme 4 and I have the longer EVGA GTX-570

There is no design issue that would limit fitment of VGA cards on this board. If you are having trouble it is one of two things:

1. Asrock boards can have some tightness issues on some connectors. Sometimes it just a small bit of overflash on the plastic that makes things difficult the first go round before it "breaks in". Sometimes you should do a dry run with the board outside the case (not connected to power)

2. You suck at PC building and need to be more methodical\careful putting things together.

5. RJRD2

RJRD2 Senior member

I don't own this board yet. It was a customer of newegg who had the issue with the card not fitting. He wrote that review, not me. Please learn to read and comprehend.

6. pauldun170

I never learned how to read or write.
    I use dragon speech software to compose all correspondence.

When I posted that post...it was a general statement that you have to be a moron if you can figure out how to install a video card on this board.
    It may have implied that you should have someone else build pc's for you if you believed that asrock would design an enthusiast class motherboard that would limit GPU usage if said GPU happened to be shorther than my massive e-penis.

but what do I know?
    I'm illiterate

7. froster

froster Junior Member

Picked this MB up yesterday as a paired deal with I5-3570K. CPU was $169 and MB was $65 (plus tax). Thankee Microcenter!

Here's the components for my first build in a long time:

Intel I5-3570k
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    Corsair Vengeance 8GB Ram
    Intel 330 180GB SSD
    XFX Radeon 7850
    Corsair Case Carbide 500R

Looking for a CPU cooler and OS...

Anyone see any issues with using a Hyper 212 Pro in this?

Not reading many good things about Windows 8 except that its a little cheaper than W7.

Thoughts appreciated?

8. AustinInDallas

AustinInDallas Golden Member

After sleep my keyboard never wakes up(even though pushing a button actually wakes the computer up)

Anyone else have a similar problem? I have one of the Logitech gaming keyboards.

9. Rhezuss

Rhezuss Diamond Member

Ok, I ordered an i7 3770k to go with my new Extreme 4. I also got 8gb od G.skill Ares DDR3-1866 to go with it.

I know the RAM comtroller on the 3770k is 1333 and 1600...

If I want my RAM to run at 1866, is it as simple as OCing the clock and CL in the BIOS and enjoy?

If not, whats the way to do this?

10. Arkanius

Arkanius Member

For me, it's my GPU. It never wakes up
    The GPU fans keep spinning at 100% and I get no video output.

It really bothers me that sleep isn't working.
    Any ideas?

ASrock Extreme 4
    Gainward 275 GTX
    i5 3570k
    8GB of ram
    Vertex 3 SSD

11. davidthemaster3

Pretty much, you specify the dram speed (in your case 1866) and you can set the timings manually or with XMP if your memory supports it.

12. Deaks2

Deaks2 Member

My sleep works fine. I never wake up via the KB though, only via mouse button. I don't think my KB woke up my PC with my old Biostar 785G board either...

13. nataku00

nataku00 Senior member

I had no issues installing a Hyper 212 cooler with the same cpu and mobo.

14. Arkanius

Arkanius Member

I discovered why my computer failed to come from sleep.
    I had deep sleep activated in the BIOS. With that disabled, it works fine and as intended.
    My question is now, why does Deep sleep fail?
    Or is that related to the Intel SmartConnect and RapidStart stuff? (I have those uninstalled)

15. Trajan45

Trajan45 Junior Member

Quick question, I built my machine with a 22" monitor but now that I'm done I've switched back to my 40" TV for gaming. However trying to get into the Bios on the TV is zoomed so I only see 1/4 the screen. I'm using HDMI for the TV and DVI for the monitor. Anyone know how to fix this? I'd hate to have to keep a monitor around for when I need to get in the bios.

16. JimS

JimS Member

I just built a system with the Extreme4 and an i5-3570k. I'm using the integrated video only. I get output from the VGA port, but not DVI. (I haven't tried HDMI.) This isn't just a Windows problem, the BIOS does the same thing. Any ideas about what's wrong?

UPDATE: I tried the HDMI port (via a HDMI-to-DVI cable) and no joy there either. I also noticed that there was a "IGPU support for multiple displays" option in the BIOS; I turned it on but it didn't change anything. The UEFI screen that shows a picture of the motherboard and lets you click on components does detect that there are cables plugged into the ports, however.

#216 JimS, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  17. The0ne

The0ne Senior member

My DVI only outputs 1280x800. I was expecting the max resolution of 1920x1200. Anyone have any clue as to why this might be the case? Monitor is Dell 3007WFP. Video card pending but until then stuck with onboard. Also my BIOS boot is slow. It gets stuck at the initial screen for like a good 5s or more (doing the A2, 99 check things and before it lists the HDs) before it actually boots. This isn't normal until I updated to the latest firmware 2 weeks ago. It works, just boot time is longer now.

#217 The0ne, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  18. Lifted

Lifted Diamond Member

What is the max # of HDD's you can use in a RAID 0 array using the 8 on-board SATA ports?

19. Golgatha

Golgatha Lifer

6, 2 of them are from 3rd party chip. Also, one is shared with e-SATA port, so if you have an e-SATA deviced connected, the number drops to 5.

20. Golgatha

Golgatha Lifer

FYI, installed GTX 680 SLI without any clearance issues. This board is rock solid with every expansion port, save one PCI slot because it's blocked by the SLIed video cards, populated.

21. Lifted

Lifted Diamond Member

Thanks! Do you know which 2 ports can't be used in the array?

The manual is a bit confusing. It mentions 2 groups of 2 ports, then 2 groups of 4 ports on different chips.

22. Rhezuss

Rhezuss Diamond Member

Did it manually since I've yet to know how XMP works lol...
    But all is good and running at 1866.

23. akromam90

akromam90 Junior Member

just picked this board up, popped it in and everything works with 1x 4gb gskill ripjaws ddr3 1333, but when i pop in a second stick I get a debug error of 55, which is obviously memory not installed. System boots fine with a single stick in A1/A2 but any additional stick i get error 55. I've reseated CPU, checked for bent pins and don't see any, each individual stick works in both A slots, anyone have any ideas? My memory isn't on the "supported" list and wondering if that could be an issue.

24. Nohr

Nohr Diamond Member

25. Golgatha

Golgatha Lifer

8 ports total. Top 2 are SATA3 and are tied to the Jmicron (I think, anyway non-Intel) 3rd party chipset. Bottom 6 are Intel chipset ports. Of those bottom 6, the top 2 are SATA6 and the bottom 4 are SATA2 speeds. I believe any of the bottom 6 can be put into RAID together, but if you utilize any of the bottom 4 ports, you're going to be limited to SATA2 speeds. The only time this is a problem is if you're going to RAID SSD together for the most part. Using mechanical, spinning discs, you're never going to saturate SATA2's bandwidth anyway.