Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Owners Thread

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Can I change on which SATA port my SSD/HDDs are plugged in anytime?
I think I have one plugged in the ASmedia SATA3 port, can I plug it anywhere else without effing anything?

felang

Feb 17, 2007
I think I have one plugged in the ASmedia SATA3 port, can I plug it anywhere else without effing anything?

Should be as easy as shutting down and switching ports.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Ok I had too many shiznitz I don't use plugged on the SATA ports like the eSATA plugs on the top of my case.

I unplugged them and moves my SSD and 1st HDD from the ASMedia to the SATA3 controlled by the Intel chipset and disabled the ASMedia in the BIOS.

Boot a bit faster now and I don't have the damn lower right icon showing my SSD and HDD as a unpluggable device (dunno how to call that lol).

Renegade44e

May 1, 2013

I made the mistake of installing WIn7 on the Asmedia ports. I swiitched my C: drive to the Z77 Ports and it booted up just fine.

Just got mine from newegg yesterday with a i5-3570K... 4.2g on the stock intel fan. It gets a little too hot for long term 100% use but the Hyper 212 EVO should take c are of that when I get it.

prozac4312

May 19, 2013
Got my 3770K and Extreme4 this weekend from MicroCenter ($340 out the door)...got everything hooked up, and I'm running a Megahalems Rev.B + 120mm Ultrakaze for a cooler.

Got the CPU running at 4.4GHz at 1.24V, ran the large block test on Prime95 for 4 hours last night and the highest temp was 73°C (ambient temp where my computer is ~65°F).

Is there room here for a higher OC? I'm new to Ivy Bridge (in which you apparently only need to bump the multiplier)...so just looking to see how high I can (safely) go.

Does 4.6-4.8GHz seem possible at or under 1.3V?

Vectronic

Jan 9, 2013
You probably have room temperature-wise, but not under 1.3v. Assuming that 4.4GHz @ 1.24v is the minimum for stability then 4.5GHz will probably be 1.3v.

With mine (i5 not i7) it's roughly 0.07v for every 100MHz between 4.0GHz and 4.8GHz.

But, keep in mind that LgFFT is usually 15 to 20C cooler than SmFFT, and about 5 to 10C cooler than LinPack... so your actual maximum temp might be 95 to 105C, however most real-world applications won't get it that hot.

Right now with mine, at 4.5GHz @ 1.27 to 1.31v (depending on ambient to keep it stable) I'll hit peak/throttle temperature using LinPack, however stuff like gaming, or file compression, virus scans, etc only peak at about 75C.

Edit: basically what I'm saying is, go for 4.5GHz, it'll do it, and "safely"... you could probably do 4.6GHz safely as well, or for that matter 4.8GHz, but you likely won't be able to keep it there, as your board and CPU "break in", and your cooler/case gets a bit dirtier, etc... it'll get a bit more hot, require a bit more voltage, etc and you'll have to drop it back down again in a few months.

Last edited:

PhIlLy ChEeSe

Apr 1, 2013
Just Chiming in, i'm late to the party but I've had this in my closet for a few months finally got around to hooking it all up with a i5 3570K, and 8GB of 16000 Vengeance. I'll read the thread latter, Happy Memorial Day to you all!

CRCSUX

Dec 10, 2012
2.80 to 2.90 Change Internet Flash server.

Thats all? Couldnt they just include that in the next bios update?

Lebezze

Jun 11, 2015
Sup!

So without going into too much details, I've had troubles with crooked cops that's been after me for personal reasons for a long time now and after I got home recently I noticed that someone had been into my computer and changed stuff, alternatives that used to be there in BIOS like options for the built in graphicscard in the North Bridge options are gone entierly, like they never even were there to begin with. Also options/alternatives for additional turbo voltage among other things are gone. And by gone I don't mean that my previous saved settings have been forgotten, but that there is no option to choose aditional turbovoltage and whatnot anymore at all what so ever. Windows has also been unable to read the specifics of my hardware ever since causing a load of problems when trying to install programs and drivers.

And believe me, I have searched around google for ages tried every fix I've come around, reinstalling, regegistering both dlls drivers and cpu core and what not and nothing helps.

I've also tried flashing my BIOS several times but the options and whatnot are still gone. It doesn't matter if I re-install Windows either.

I've had pigs messing me up for a long while now doing similar things over and over again, them always coming up with sleazy excuses to why they're allowed to do what they're doing.

Anyway, it can't possibly be illegal for me to remove their stuff right? I'm only repairing a broken motherboard. So my question is if there's any sort of deeper layer storage space in motherboards that you can access that presists. Or how you can see if someone have been modifying your stuff.

Would be awesome if someone could spread light upon my situation.

Thanks in advance /Lebezze

[Edit-Forgot my computer details]
Windows 7 Professional x64 (Legit, always kept up to date)
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 2.90 BIOS
Intel i5-3570K
Nvidia GTX 670
Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz 2x4gb
OCZ ZS 650w
Seagate Barracuda 1tb 7200rpm

Last edited:

PhIlLy ChEeSe

Apr 1, 2013
Sup!

So without going into too much details, I've had troubles with crooked cops that's been after me for personal reasons for a long time now and after I got home recently I noticed that someone had been into my computer and changed stuff, alternatives that used to be there in BIOS like options for the built in graphicscard in the North Bridge options are gone entierly, like they never even were there to begin with. Also options/alternatives for additional turbo voltage among other things are gone. And by gone I don't mean that my previous saved settings have been forgotten, but that there is no option to choose aditional turbovoltage and whatnot anymore at all what so ever. Windows has also been unable to read the specifics of my hardware ever since causing a load of problems when trying to install programs and drivers.

And believe me, I have searched around google for ages tried every fix I've come around, reinstalling, regegistering both dlls drivers and cpu core and what not and nothing helps.

I've also tried flashing my BIOS several times but the options and whatnot are still gone. It doesn't matter if I re-install Windows either.

I've had pigs messing me up for a long while now doing similar things over and over again, them always coming up with sleazy excuses to why they're allowed to do what they're doing.

Anyway, it can't possibly be illegal for me to remove their stuff right? I'm only repairing a broken motherboard. So my question is if there's any sort of deeper layer storage space in motherboards that you can access that presists. Or how you can see if someone have been modifying your stuff.

Would be awesome if someone could spread light upon my situation.

Thanks in advance /Lebezze

[Edit-Forgot my computer details]
Windows 7 Professional x64 (Legit, always kept up to date)
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 2.90 BIOS
Intel i5-3570K
Nvidia GTX 670
Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz 2x4gb
OCZ ZS 650w
Seagate Barracuda 1tb 7200rpm

Nothing a good psychologist can't help with............

Lebezze

Jun 11, 2015
Nothing a good psychologist can't help with............
So a good psychologist can restore a broken bios, that's cool! Maybe they fix my broken ribcage, neck and shoulders that were damaged when i was assaulted by one of these asshats who happen to be working as cops too? (Not talking about the police force, just a few idiots who never should've got their badges in the first place)

Good to know man, thanks for the tip! (I know I was asking for it man, no worries.)

But anyway... if there's any serious answers out there they're more than welcome!

Last edited:

alphatonic

Nov 26, 2015
Hi and sorry to revive this old thread.

But i'm having a problem with my beloved z77 extreme4. (yes i still use it today in my pc)

I got two more SSD's and wanted to connect them to the other two sata3 port (SATA3 A0 and A1) since SATA3 0 and 1 are already in use.

But the BIOS doesn't detect the new drives on A0 or A1.

I guess because they are used for the esata port on the back io.

How can i disable the esata port? Is there a jumper somewhere i am to blind to find? The BIOS doesn't have any options for the SATA3 A0 and A1 port.

Or do i have to buy a SATA3 controller card to get more than two SATA3 ports?