Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by HexiumVII, May 7, 2012.

1. Golgatha

Golgatha Lifer

Incompatible memory configuration. You need a stick in A1 and B1, rather than A1 and A2. For best performance you need identical sticks in A1/B1 and A2/B2. Basically don't use an odd number of memory chips and install the pairs into the correct sockets.

Starting at the CPU socket, the slots from left to right are A1, A2, B1, B2. So, using 2 identical memory chips, you would populate like so...

e.g. 4GB (A1), empty (A2), 4GB (B1), empty (B2)

2. felang

felang Senior member

And maybe update bios, they usually update memory support with every release

3. pauldun170

pauldun170 Diamond Member

Anyone lose WOL on the last couple of bio updates?

4. hydroponik

hydroponik Senior member

5. WiseUp216

WiseUp216 Platinum Member

Wake-On-Lan, I believe.

6. pauldun170

pauldun170 Diamond Member

Yup...
    Had to redo the setting in bios to get it to working again.

7. akromam90

akromam90 Junior Member

So an update, updated bios to 2.7, borrowed memory from a friend(gskill sniper 2x4gb 1600 ddr3 that ARE on memory compatibility list) I get same results, debug error 55 with 2 matching sticks in a1/b1 or a2/b2. Computer just restarts after sitting on error 55 and keeps going. Although I had success with 2 matching sticks in a1/a2 but obviously can't activate dual channel mode and that sucks. Anyone have any other ideas or should I submit an RMA? thanks for the help guys

8. AdamK47

AdamK47 Lifer

Wish there was an Extreme11 owners thread to share information, but I bet you could count the number of owners here on one hand.

9. Despoiler

Despoiler Golden Member

10. Golgatha

Golgatha Lifer

Check for bent pins in the memory socket or just RMA.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170736

Seems like a socket issue. You could also run MemTestx86 on the sticks in your friend's computer to validate that they are good. Would make your RMA case stronger having that information to give them.

11. Arkanius

Arkanius Member

I'm very frustrated that I still haven't found what is stoping my computer to wake from sleep.

If I send him to sleep and wake him minutes later, he manages to wake fine.
    But if I do it one hour later, or a longer time than that, it never wakes up, I hear everything starting but I never get video, and my GPU fans keep spinning at max RPM.

How do I check what is failing to wake up from sleep? It must be something, maybe even the soundcard since Creative still haven't made final Windows 8 drivers.

12. dannyritz

dannyritz Junior Member

Does the cooler master evo 212 block the first ram slot for this board?

13. dannyritz

dannyritz Junior Member

Sorry for the repeated questions. I'm building my first computer and I'm thinking of buying this motherboard. I have the Cooler Master XM case. It says its compatible with atx boards. Will the mounting points on the extreme 4 z77 match the standoff points on this case? I just want to make sure before I buy it.

14. JimS

JimS Member

I'm bumping this to say that I RMA'd the board, and the replacement does exactly the same thing! Does ANYBODY have any idea what might be going on? My monitor works on DVI with other devices.

15. Despoiler

Despoiler Golden Member

It does not, as long as the heatsinks on the RAM are fairly standard. I have G.Skill Sniper and I had to move the fan up just a bit.

16. Smoblikat

Smoblikat Diamond Member

Hey guys. JUST got my board in. I ordered it in october...............the first board came DOA. The replacment board (took a month to get here) came with a bunch of bent pins and pieces of plastic in the socket, it looks like whatever put the plastic cover over the socket scraped it. Needless to say newegg wasnt going to accept another RMA due to "physical damage" even if it isnt my fault. So I brought my board into work today and went over to one of our engineers (who designs motherboards from the first layer of PCB to the 26th and SMD) and I had her fix my pins for me...if I didnt work at dell I would be screwed. Anywho I have my board installed and all my RAMz in, but the Dr. Debug display says D7. I dont have ANYTHING connected to the board besides the RAM, 24pin and 8 pin. And obviously the CPU and cooler. I assume the D7 means no keyboard (the booklet says no console input device found) but I just want to verify. Thanks.

17. Smoblikat

Smoblikat Diamond Member

Possibly the CPU?

18. JimS

JimS Member

I don't know. I would've thought that the CPU would output a digital video signal of some sort, and the mobo would then transform it into the appropriate outputs, hence I wouldn't be getting a VGA signal either if the CPU was bad. But that's just an assumption. Can anyone confirm?

19. Shephard

Shephard Senior member

guys I am considering this motherboard I have looked it a lot. I got my 3570k over 2 weeks ago but I am waiting for motherboard to deal to finalize.

it is between asus p8z77-v lk or asrock extreme 4. No one recommended good gigabyte board in same price range and msi apparently sucks so it's down to these 2.

there are some things I see on this board that I don't know about. my friend has it.

thx studio - I saw this on his computer and all I noticed is louder sound. seems like a gimmick.

uefi - dont all motherboards have this since sandy bridge?

axtu - is this actually good software or bloatware?

asrock omg - ?

xfast lan - faster internet? tried it at my house with my friends comp and we have same ping on games.

virtual lucid mvp - ?

20. dannyritz

dannyritz Junior Member

lucidvirtu is supposed to improve the framerate. It switches between the onboard graphics in the cpu and the gpu depending on what you're doing. basic stuff or gameplay. I think it combines both of them in demanding tasks but I'm not sure about that.

21. Darthsat

Darthsat Junior Member

22. jonjonjon

jonjonjon Junior Member

you want your ssd plugged into the first sata3 port that is run off the intel chipset. the 2 grey ports next to the 4 black sata2 ports are the intel sata3 ports. plug it into the bottom port. you can plug regular hdd's and optical drives into the black sata2 ports.

the 2 grey ports on the end are run off a asmedia controller. i disabled them in the bios and my extreme4 posts + boots 5+ seconds faster. 3rd party controllers suck.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1576/3eb94e18d7554166b7bc4f4.jpg

23. davidthemaster3

What he said

24. Darthsat

Darthsat Junior Member

Thank you. I did as you explained. It works well. I also disabled the asmedia controllers, but the boot time with SSD was already ~10 seconds, so I don't notice any gain in post+boot time.

25. dannyritz

dannyritz Junior Member

I just built my first computer with an asrock extreme 4 motherboard and its great! I have a question though, how do I see and edit the bios after I've booted into windows? I remember reading that this was a feature somewhere but I can't seem to find it.