Are we in seriously deep doo doo?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
How do you know that the stimulus isn't keeping people employed? Unless you have a sophisticated economic model that tells you what the employment level WOULD have been right now if NO stimulus had occurred, you're just blowing smoke.

My own sophisticated economic model tells me that if there had been no stimulus, there'd be 8 million fewer jobs now than there actually are and we'd be deep into a major depression. So the stimulus has worked beautifully, and an even larger stimulus is needed.

Now, why don't you prove to us why your economic model is correct and mine is incorrect?

you can't keep doing the same road over and over again.

almost all stimulus money went to DOT's to do construction, sorry but its a fact, in IL, in IND, WI, PA, and likely everywhere else

all stimulus projects had to be shovel ready, IE plan laid out ETC ready to go just need the cash.

only the DOT has that much shovel ready stuff sitting around.

in the next 18 months all those projects and the money that funded them is gone, and those construction workers are back on the couch at home out of work.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
I am not just any doom and gloom sayer . I the real deal , Shake head all you want.
But the end result will be the same as it was in the beginning so shall it be at the end .

Salvation is for those who grab hold of the light and trueth . Those who cling to the ideas of Rome shall parish just as ROME parished.

So on my Grand Slam I want the bacon strips, pancakes, hash browns and grits. Oh hell...might as well "Slam it up" so go ahead and throw 2 eggs over easy on there. Coffee and apple juice to drink.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

almost all stimulus money went to DOT's to do construction, sorry but its a fact, in IL, in IND, WI, PA, and likely everywhere else

all stimulus projects had to be shovel ready, IE plan laid out ETC ready to go just need the cash.

in the next 18 months all those projects and the money that funded them is gone, and those construction workers are back on the couch at home out of work.
In 18 months, the DOT can have many more projects 'shovel ready.'

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
In situations where I have no work and I cannot pay my bills I am not going to sit at home waiting for an unemployment check with my fingers crossed hoping I get hired in my dream job. I will sell off what I can and move to where I can find work. If I can't find work in what I want then I will take something less than that. I may not have the nicest home, clothes, cars, but I can live and might even be happy.

I think that is where people don't get it. They want to maintain their current quality of life , collect unemployment, complain there are no jobs and hope someone fixes it. If you don't have what you need then you have to make changes. If that means selling everything , moving into a rented room and working mowing lawns then do it . People are way too caught up in possessions as being a reason to live. The only thing you need to live is food, shelter, clothing . The rest is extras.

I guess some think themselves better than others.
nobody_knows_you.jpg
money-graphics-2007_882302a.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2006
I don't know if you're being facetious or serious, but you've engaged in this same "it's their fault" rhetoric in this very thread:
<snip>
shira...perhaps I wasn't very clear. We have a large number of people here who are partisan goosesteppers. They identify themselves as the 'good guys' who really care...and demonize their enemies collectively as the epitome of evil at every turn. This mentality is a form of bigotry...an inability to think independently and discuss issues 'with' people...who instead prefer to talk 'at' people as if they represent their perceived enemy(s). Human beings are funny creatures.

Those quotes you cited do not make sweeping stereotypes based on politcal party or persuasion...they're specific to those who hold a particular idea on a particular issue without regard for whether they happen to be a Rep/Dem or Liberal/Conservative.

You know it's OK to have different ideas and to disagree. But this 'you guys' 'us vs. them' mentality is an ugly reflection of how partisan politics rots the brain. No good can come from it.

Last edited:

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
I am not just any doom and gloom sayer . I the real deal , Shake head all you want.
But the end result will be the same as it was in the beginning so shall it be at the end .

Salvation is for those who grab hold of the light and trueth . Those who cling to the ideas of Rome shall parish just as ROME parished.

What "real deal" would that be? Are you telling us you're the third coming of Christ? And how come you spell the word "truth" as "trueth" and the word "perish" as "parish?"

And your grammar is just awful - "I the real deal"??? Ever heard of linking verbs?

Then there's:

Heres why . In the video section . We got into a debate . About something I wrote here. I told the guy to do the search he kept coming up empty and started making claims I was lieing . This went on for A while and So finally I got the link . and a Mod closed it out and hid the trueth . Befor people could see the trueth .

You leave a space between the end of the last word in each sentence and the period. You don't use apostrophes correctly. You capitalize inappropriate words in the middle of sentences. You write run-on sentences and start sentences with lower-case letters. You misspell words (lieing => lying and befor => before). You mis-punctuate (ever heard of semicolons and commas?).

If you really have this profound knowledge of the universe, how come your command of simple writing skills is so pathetic?

Last edited:

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
A sugar high can only last so long.

Don't worry though, all those Union workers got paid, and the Union workers that supplied them for the projects got paid.

And the public got new nice looking road coverings (in asphalt, which won't last but a year or three, if even done properly, which I can already see some aren't) so they'll have a nice visual to make them think everything is A OK.

Elections are coming up, need to do something for 'the constituency'......

Chuck

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
In situations where I have no work and I cannot pay my bills I am not going to sit at home waiting for an unemployment check with my fingers crossed hoping I get hired in my dream job. I will sell off what I can and move to where I can find work. If I can't find work in what I want then I will take something less than that. I may not have the nicest home, clothes, cars, but I can live and might even be happy.

I think that is where people don't get it. They want to maintain their current quality of life , collect unemployment, complain there are no jobs and hope someone fixes it. If you don't have what you need then you have to make changes. If that means selling everything , moving into a rented room and working mowing lawns then do it . People are way too caught up in possessions as being a reason to live. The only thing you need to live is food, shelter, clothing . The rest is extras.

This. A whole generation did this and are probably better off for it. A lot of things we see as necessities really aren't.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
In situations where I have no work and I cannot pay my bills I am not going to sit at home waiting for an unemployment check with my fingers crossed hoping I get hired in my dream job.

I will sell off what I can and move to where I can find work.

If I can't find work in what I want then I will take something less than that. I may not have the nicest home, clothes, cars, but I can live and might even be happy.

I think that is where people don't get it.

If you don't have what you need then you have to make changes.

If that means selling everything , moving into a rented room and working mowing lawns then do it .

People are way too caught up in possessions as being a reason to live. The only thing you need to live is food, shelter, clothing . The rest is extras.

This is what I have been doing for the past eight years. Have lived and worked in five cities in the last four years.

Between getting laid off in this horrible economy the longest I went before finding another job in a distant city was 3 months, during which time I sold almost everything and even mowed lawns.

There are a lot of people that talk some shit on here, the shit is on their face now.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005

That's the nature of stimulus spending. Hopefully, by the time the jobs are completed, the economy will have improved to the point where these workers will be able to find other jobs. But it's undeniable that without those stimulus-based jobs, most of those construction workers would be out of work. So every one of those jobs represents one fewer unemployed worker, which was exactly the intent.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Don't worry though, all those Union workers got paid, and the Union workers that supplied them for the projects got paid.

And the public got new nice looking road coverings (in asphalt, which won't last but a year or three, if even done properly, which I can already see some aren't) so they'll have a nice visual to make them think everything is A OK.

Elections are coming up, need to do something for 'the constituency'......

Chuck

It's a good thing you're in a deep blue state so your vote doesn't matter.

This has nothing to do with unions and everything to do with easing the impact of a worldwide recession. No matter what people do someone will bitch, my guess is you'll bitch no matter what Obama does.

Go back wherever you came from and enjoy.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
It's a good thing you're in a deep blue state so your vote doesn't matter.

This has nothing to do with unions and everything to do with easing the impact of a worldwide recession. No matter what people do someone will bitch, my guess is you'll bitch no matter what Obama does.

Go back wherever you came from and enjoy.

Oh, I'm enjoying my deep blue state being bankrupt.....led and managed by deep blue politicians.

If you can't see that doing feel good projects - on many/most roads that didn't even need to be resurfaced in the first place - that just happen to employ large numbers of costly Union workers (who just happen to get pushed by their union to vote Democrat) during a recession/depression, when we should be employing cheap labor that's already unemployed, and/or doing projects that actually need to get done and/or have real public value....

...then I really don't know what to say to you.

I drive on these roads every day. They've literally ripped up roads and resurfaced them that needed - at best - a section cut out and redone.

Driving past, instead of cutting out the bad washed out concrete and redoing it properly, they just resurface over it: You can still feel the same exact hole when you drive over the new resurface. What do you think that is going to be like after 1 Chicago winter????

Don't tell me this is being done on the level and properly, I - and even the Democrat's in my family - can see this is total scam that we're paying for.

EDIT: Don't worry though, all those voting Union workers will be happy they're getting the Obamabucks. Along with their voting families. All with their voting Union 'Brothers' who delivered them the materials. Along with those voting families. Along with the dumb@ss voting public who'll see the nice 'new' roads they're getting. But, No....I'm the crazy one...okey dokey...

Chuck

Last edited:

*kjm

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Oh, I'm enjoying my deep blue state being bankrupt.....led and managed by deep blue politicians.

If you can't see that doing feel good projects - on many/most roads that didn't even need to be resurfaced in the first place - that just happen to employ large numbers of costly Union workers (who just happen to get pushed by their union to vote Democrat) during a recession/depression, when we should be employing cheap labor that's already unemployed, and/or doing projects that actually need to get done and/or have real public value....

...then I really don't know what to say to you.

I drive on these roads every day. They've literally ripped up roads and resurfaced them that needed - at best - a section cut out and redone.

Driving past, instead of cutting out the bad washed out concrete and redoing it properly, they just resurface over it: You can still feel the same exact hole when you drive over the new resurface. What do you think that is going to be like after 1 Chicago winter????

Don't tell me this is being done on the level and properly, I - and even the Democrat's in my family - can see this is total scam that we're paying for.

EDIT: Don't worry though, all those voting Union workers will be happy they're getting the Obamabucks. Along with their voting families. All with their voting Union 'Brothers' who delivered them the materials. Along with those voting families. Along with the dumb@ss voting public who'll see the nice 'new' roads they're getting. But, No....I'm the crazy one...okey dokey...

Chuck

At least your state is doing roads and not going for a new choo choo trainD:

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
This is what I have been doing for the past eight years. Have lived and worked in five cities in the last four years.

Between getting laid off in this horrible economy the longest I went before finding another job in a distant city was 3 months, during which time I sold almost everything and even mowed lawns.

There are a lot of people that talk some shit on here, the shit is on their face now.

Its refreshing to hear someone say that instead of complaining its the governments fault all the time and waiting for a handout.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
At least your state is doing roads and not going for a new choo choo trainD:

That's actually something they could have done that might have actually prevented so much road congestion and wear. I ride the Metra Electric line basically from the far end to the end in the city. I asked the ticket guy why we went so slow and he said because the tracks are so bad.

It takes anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour to get into the city. That's IF the train doesn't leave you standing on the station or walking up the steps. If you miss the train, it's another hour starting at 9 AM. Then you need to hope the air conditioning is working. Of course, the 'new car' seats suck for comfort. The 'old car' seats are comfortable, but, not made for American's much larger than when the 'old cars' were made...so unless you have two skinny women sitting in a seat, it's cramped.

Add all that up....mine as well just drive.

If they fixed the tracks so the trains could go full speed, ran more trains, and maybe - gasp! - modernized the cars, maybe, just maybe, people would take the train more.

Chuck

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

nobody_knows_you.jpg
money-graphics-2007_882302a.jpg

Damn straight. Two months ago I went through hell to land a nice house for my wife and newborn daughter, but admittedly it was probably irresponsibly expensive. If I can't find a job by the time my work here expires, I will probably sell it (and pray that it sells) and move somewhere vastly cheaper.

Last edited:

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
What "real deal" would that be? Are you telling us you're the third coming of Christ? And how come you spell the word "truth" as "trueth" and the word "perish" as "parish?"

And your grammar is just awful - "I the real deal"??? Ever heard of linking verbs?

Then there's:

You leave a space between the end of the last word in each sentence and the period. You don't use apostrophes correctly. You capitalize inappropriate words in the middle of sentences. You write run-on sentences and start sentences with lower-case letters. You misspell words (lieing => lying and befor => before). You mis-punctuate (ever heard of semicolons and commas?).

If you really have this profound knowledge of the universe, how come your command of simple writing skills is so pathetic?

Nazi grammer spellon polace

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
the dude home schools his kids and grand kids too. :eek:

Beets me . Why do you care . AE had same problem as have many many others. I won't use the morphine as an excuse . Because its always been this way for me . If my thoughts misprounce a word thats how I spellon it. But It gets worse as the Nazi grama polaced come on the seen.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
This. A whole generation did this and are probably better off for it. A lot of things we see as necessities really aren't.

Nice for you to praise cutting back - for everyone but the ultra rich. Their incomes, and only their incomes, have gone up multiples while everyone else has not.

But that's not discussed.

Forget the policies redistributing wealth to the top.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
the dude home schools his kids and grand kids too. :eek:

Never home schooled my children . As for child in avatar . His smarter than this combimed board and he can't spel reel well iether. But he knows words and there meenings better than you . I assume from your post. Common sense he was truely blessed wath.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Never home schooled my children . As for child in avatar . His smarter than this combimed board and he can't spel reel well iether. But he knows words and there meenings better than you . I assume from your post. Common sense he was truely blessed wath.

You can't even put a cohesive thought on the internet. There's no fucking way anybody associated with you is that bright.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Gabby Johnson Nemesis 1 for stating what needed to be said. I am particulary glad that these lovely children are here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed the courage little seen in this day and age.

Last edited:

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
You can't even put a cohesive thought on the internet. There's no fucking way anybody associated with you is that bright.

Your forum name suites you well. As does my own. The problem here in lies. You have never ever killed a legend only in your pea sized brain. AS for my forum name that has yet to be seen . But every day A case for it grows. I have read many of your post. You are well versed. But none of that is useful when you don't apply yourself and lack any common sense what so ever.

When the Gulf oil thing started. Reasons were given for the blow out . But I added one that no one talked about till recently . Frequency. Go ahead go find what I said , I told ya BP was lieing about everthing PSI, volumn of spilled oil. Go ahead go find the thread, Than note its date . You sir are ATs court fool.

Last edited: