Are we in seriously deep doo doo?

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Your forum name suites you well. As does my own. The problem here in lies. You have never ever killed a legend only in your pea sized brain. AS for my forum name that has yet to be seen . But every day A case for it grows. I have read many of your post. You are well versed. But none of that is useful when you don't apply yourself and lack any common sense what so ever.

When the Gulf oil thing started. Reasons were given for the blow out . But I added one that no one talked about till recently . Frequency. Go ahead go find what I said , I told ya BP was lieing about everthing PSI, volumn of spilled oil. Go ahead go find the thread, Than note its date . You sir are ATs court fool.

You owe me a glass of milk, I laughed so hard I had it coming out my nose.

You're a fucking joke. You're so illogical that you can't even use Firefox or another browser that spell checks.

Gloom and doom will always be "right" eventually. Just the same as a broken clock is right twice is a day.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Your forum name suites you well. As does my own. The problem here in lies. You have never ever killed a legend only in your pea sized brain. AS for my forum name that has yet to be seen . But every day A case for it grows. I have read many of your post. You are well versed. But none of that is useful when you don't apply yourself and lack any common sense what so ever.

When the Gulf oil thing started. Reasons were given for the blow out . But I added one that no one talked about till recently . Frequency. Go ahead go find what I said , I told ya BP was lieing about everthing PSI, volumn of spilled oil. Go ahead go find the thread, Than note its date . You sir are ATs court fool.

What's the frequency Kenneth?

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
Yes, we are. Also, this was already posted in Fern's thread. This is what happens when we keep putting morons in government and give them more and more power every day.

Didn't realize government was trading derivatives.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Prepare....

Date : 2009-03-05 20:53
Zebo's survival keys on a budget which may save your life.

1. Attitude, Free - like anything in life it all starts there - positive attitude is important to success, and all survival manuals stress it makes the difference between living or dying! Never quit. Never give up. Always look at things half full!

2. Health, Free- If we truly get into a SHTF scenario medicines will not be around so if you're taking insulin or heart medicine you're in big trouble unless you've stocked up. Exercise, be in great shape, have a resting HR less than 60 preferably. The exercise part is good for you no matter what, SHTF or Not. Live longer feel better, sleep better, have more energy etc - and will be crucial in survival situation where foraging for food, planting food or running from predators two legged and four legged will you pay big dividends.

3. A good water proof Sleeping bag $100 - When grid shuts down, you have no idea how cold world gets - In a true survival situation, most people die because of hypothermia, not because of lack of water or food. You don't want to build fires for warmth, alerts zombies to your presence, and is a waste of energy that could be used for food acquisition, building, and working instead of chopping and screwing around with fires.

4. A Rugar 10/22 and 2000 rounds ammo $300 - Can kill small game for protein and Keep Zombies at bay.... one per family is fine. Don't be going hog wild on firearms - they will be everywhere anyway if things get too bad, I see dead people, know what I'm saying?. Too much weight and all survival books say 22lr is all you really need on defensive/survivalist posture.

5. A good knife, good first aid kit and learn manual, lights and radio $300 -
*Knife obvious no other tool you need. eat with it cut, chop, baton, pry etc etc etc...
*Lights are obvious... I prefer those wind up & inertia radios and LED flashlights, Radio is to be able to hear we are out of post-apocalyptic hell and news. No batteries, batteries are too heavy and go bad quick especially if you don't keep them dry, leave them on ground or get them hot.
*First aid with manual "Where There Is No Doctor" is good - If you or a loved one is shot or has a broken leg you need to know how to deal with it before it happens. RTFM NOW. Kit should have sutures, compression packs, tourniquets and other heavy trauma fixes. You can toss the fucken foil blanket and other worthless items..

6. One month supply of food $150-$250 per person - It's better not to have to worry about food right away when SHTF
*Beans and rice are cheap and keep almost forever if stored right. Can eat for $40 a month on beans and rice!
*Canned foods will be good if static/staying in one place, last about three years depending what it is. Only issue is weight/calories ratio should you have to move.
* Peanut butter is the best all round survival food. Keeps 2 years. Don't have to prepare it and it's loaded with protein, carbs and fats. Excellent weight/calories ratio!!!

7. Peers FREE - Groups of people provide security and emotional support in many ways - You are going to have to be with honest and trustworthy people who help each other out in order to survive. No Robinson Crusoe - you won't make it.

If you have more money so be it - you know what to do with points presented... just build on them....for example I have 2 500 gallon diesel tanks I rotate keeping fresh fuel just in case for generator and truck gets it interm, have more food, more weapons, night vision, but essential jist is all above... this guide is designed to be GTG for $1000 in a "go to" ruck sack which just about anyone can get down with dollar wise. Anyway 90% will be mental... 9% physical... 1% what you got.

GL

Last edited:

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
The few we'd have to hire we could hire from the unemployed list, thereby reducing the unemployed number. As for training, what training????? Bending down to pick up garbage? Holding a scraper and scraping paint? Holding a paintbrush and painting? If people cannot master these tasks their first day on the job, the manager can simply have them removed from the unemployment list, as they're too lazy, too stupid, or both.

It requires training, hate to break it to you but it's reality. I have no idea what your nonsense first sentence means since "unemployed list" means nothing without actually giving a number. Here's the number; there are 14.6 million unemployed people. How the hell you gonna reduce that number, and how many can do trash pickup again, lol.

They'll be located wherever we need the work done. If that means these people need to live in a tent city, then I guess that's too F'ing bad isn't it?

rofl. It's like you want people to laugh at your posts. Hell, why not just put them in camps, they deserve it!

They don't want to do that, they can always go off unemployment. Most jobs though, the unemployed could easily report to their collection point at 6:00 AM local to be bussed to the jobsite - or alternately, arrive there themselves if the location is known ahead of time.

It would require additional gov't dollars to organize and bus people, something that can only be achieved with deficit spending and/or higher taxes. Take your pick, faux conservative.

And you've still yet to answer what the unemployed will do when there aren't any of these menial jobs available in their area, which is undeniably an inevitable occurrence since job creation is nowhere near evenly spread geographically. You're shit out of luck if you live in podunk Bakersfield CA or Omaha NE.

They'd only be working say 30 hours a week. Plenty of time to look for work.

rofl, what's amazing is you're serious. Get the hell out of here with this BS. How is someone supposed to look for work and get additional education/training in a relevant field they'll have an actual future in unless they're single with no families? You supposed to discriminate against people with families? How can you deny that these menial jobs won't delay their re-entrance into the workforce? I bet you're being purposefully dense. Er, hope so.

For those that have a job interview, they only need to bring a letter from the interviewer for proof of missing the day they needed to report in. Not hard at all, so easy someone living off the system can do it.

Except you can't interview as often, can't spend as much time looking for work, can't spend any time getting additional training, and forget about spending more time with your family. I can't tell if these are joke responses you're writing but, sadly, I think you're dead serious.

You keep mentioning this training. What training do you need to do simple manual labor????

How much landscaping experience do you have? How much experience do you have painting houses? How many beaches have you cleaned up and what local and federal laws do you have to adhere to to do so legally?

Seriously, try harder, you're embarrassing yourself if you think training and management costs would be cheap, they'd require a huge investment above and beyond the unemployment they'd be getting paid.

If these people are that F'ing dumb, then we need to be rethinking what we should be doing with these people. Forced sterilization may be a good idea to start with if they are so mentally challenged they can't handle a.) bending down b.) grabbing piece of trash c.) standing up d.) putting piece of trash in bag they're holding.

lmao. Based on your posts you should be the first candidate.

But anyway, you know you've lost a debate when you go the eugenics route.

They'd only be doing this 30 hours a week, not 60. They can get their training done on all the rest of their off time. That is, the ones that actually do really go get training, which, from the many people I know collecting unemployment, is a small small %. Then there's your point that no one made of training these people to do menial jobs. No! We're not training them to do menial jobs: We're letting them do menial jobs while they collect public funds. That they learn to bend down and pickup garbage is their problem, not ours.

Amazing, you're dead serious.

The old and injured - proof of injury from Dr. prior to starting unemployment job duty required - can go and work in a hospital donating their time. Homeless shelter. Day care. Whatever. Those that are left get a pass, if they're that F'd up then they'd already be on disability anyways.

You are literally pulling this shit from your ass, aren't you? Yup.

You're right, we should be trying harder to actually get something for all our unemployment bucks rather than just p1ss it away on getting nothing in return. At least you finally got something right.

Yeah but what you do for a living isn't worth what you're getting paid so I purpose we fire you, put you to work in camp-like tents in menial garbage pickup duty on beaches and have you read and memorize local, state and federal laws, self-manage your lunch time and weekly hours, all while raising your kids, paying for additional training in school, and interviewing for jobs. It's easy, anyone can do it with some elbow grease!

Seriously, fake conservatives are annoying.

Last edited:

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Prepare....

1. Attitude, Free - like anything in life it all starts there - positive attitude is important to success, and all survival manuals stress it makes the difference between living or dying! Never quit. Never give up. Always look at things half full!

2. Health, Free- If we truly get into a SHTF scenario medicines will not be around so if you're taking insulin or heart medicine you're in big trouble unless you've stocked up. Exercise, be in great shape, have a resting HR less than 60 preferably. The exercise part is good for you no matter what, SHTF or Not. Live longer feel better, sleep better, have more energy etc - and will be crucial in survival situation where foraging for food, planting food or running from predators two legged and four legged will you pay big dividends.

3. A good water proof Sleeping bag $100 - When grid shuts down, you have no idea how cold world gets - In a true survival situation, most people die because of hypothermia, not because of lack of water or food. You don't want to build fires for warmth, alerts zombies to your presence, and is a waste of energy that could be used for food acquisition, building, and working instead of chopping and screwing around with fires.

4. A Rugar 10/22 and 2000 rounds ammo $300 - Can kill small game for protein and Keep Zombies at bay.... one per family is fine. Don't be going hog wild on firearms - they will be everywhere anyway if things get too bad, I see dead people, know what I'm saying?. Too much weight and all survival books say 22lr is all you really need on defensive/survivalist posture.

*Knife obvious no other tool you need. eat with it cut, chop, baton, pry etc etc etc...
*Lights are obvious... I prefer those wind up & inertia radios and LED flashlights, Radio is to be able to hear we are out of post-apocalyptic hell and news. No batteries, batteries are too heavy and go bad quick especially if you don't keep them dry, leave them on ground or get them hot.
*First aid with manual "Where There Is No Doctor" is good - If you or a loved one is shot or has a broken leg you need to know how to deal with it before it happens. RTFM NOW. Kit should have sutures, compression packs, tourniquets and other heavy trauma fixes. You can toss the fucken foil blanket and other worthless items..

6. One month supply of food $150-$250 per person - It's better not to have to worry about food right away when SHTF
*Beans and rice are cheap and keep almost forever if stored right. Can eat for $40 a month on beans and rice!
*Canned foods will be good if static/staying in one place, last about three years depending what it is. Only issue is weight/calories ratio should you have to move.
* Peanut butter is the best all round survival food. Keeps 2 years. Don't have to prepare it and it's loaded with protein, carbs and fats. Excellent weight/calories ratio!!!

7. Peers FREE - Groups of people provide security and emotional support in many ways - You are going to have to be with honest and trustworthy people who help each other out in order to survive. No Robinson Crusoe - you won't make it.

If you have more money so be it - you know what to do with points presented... just build on them....for example I have 2 500 gallon diesel tanks I rotate keeping fresh fuel just in case for generator and truck gets it interm, have more food, more weapons, night vision, but essential jist is all above... this guide is designed to be GTG for $1000 in a "go to" ruck sack which just about anyone can get down with dollar wise. Anyway 90% will be mental... 9% physical... 1% what you got.

GL
This actually isn't bad. I think peers are key. Not the kind of peers who pay a yard service to mow their 1/4 acre of grass but the kind who you see on the weekend with the engine jacked out of their project car.

May 11, 2008
That is not really all that bad. A revolution led reset may be exactly what this country needs.

Brazil was in a horrible position 30 years ago. Having to change currencies multiple times, now look at it...a world power to be reckoned with, a self sufficient domestic economy and an exploding export market.

Indeed. Greece was and still is synonymous for corruption. As is Italy, Spain and Portugal. Now i admit small amount of corruption exists in every country. I would have never helped Greece financially though as has been done.
Let the people in Greece sort it out. Maybe even do a bit of CIA style meddling. But in a positive way.

May 11, 2008
Why is IT always the first area institutions look to cut when times are tough?

Imagine if every manager walked out of the company you work for right now. Things could continue for months before there were problems.

Imagine if every IT person walked out. The company would be done within a week.

Indeed. Managers cost money.
Workers do work the workers know they must do.
Managers tell workers what workers know they must do.

Ergo :
Fire the managers.
Only keep the managers that started at the very lowest position as workers.
That will be an amount of 10%.
90% will be gone and since these managers usually get 3 to 5 times the salary of the worker without taking the responsibility. There will be a lot of money saved. Time to end this ridiculous notion that jobs are important no matter what. Unnecessary jobs also cost money and do not contribute. Optimization is more important. If there are no jobs, then it is time to create a new industry that is actual beneficial to society and environment.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
So how many here have actually stocked up on food, bought more guns and amo, and more or less have prepared for the great disaster scenario?

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
So how many here have actually stocked up on food, bought more guns and amo, and more or less have prepared for the great disaster scenario?

I haven't, but I don't need to.
I know how to hunt with a bow.I have plenty of knives.I know how to sew, cook, preserve food using salt or glass jars.I know what plants are edible. I have cast iron skillets which last forever. I know how to fish and could make a rod out of a branch and a hook out of a paperclip sharpened on a rock with thread from old clothes for the line. Have plenty of steel wool that could be used with batteries to start fires. I have a lot of experience with filters and could filter water from a ditch if needed and then boil it to sterilize.

And really nothing I listed did I learn for the purpose of some doomsday scenario. I grew up in the big city till I was about 10 then my dad took the family back to where he grew up , a small town of about 500 people. We had a river across from where we lived and my dad took me there often and showed me a lot about plants, wildlife, fishing, swimming. I grew up with a mother that was very insistent on her children knowing how to can food , sew, cook, etc. Probably one of the few people that still knows how to preserve food in glass jars, not many people still do that .

I know how to cure meat with salt because there was an old guy near me who sold cured hams and fish that he made himself and was more than happy to show how it was done. Me and my brothers all learned what my mother taught. My sister wanted no part of it and they would fight constantly eventually making my mother tell her to just get out of the way . Today my sister can't boil water without burning it.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

Long time ago. Not necessarily for any single identifiable concern however, more as an insurance policy that lets me sleep well at night.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Prepare....

GL

I'll meet you down around Mount Boktukalo in the Kiamichi Mountains. Been hunting there since I was a kid and know where there are some natural shelters(caves) and there are even some abandoned logging cabins back in the forest. Plenty of freshwater streams as well for fishing. Of course there's also the area around Robber's Cave, but it doesn't have near the wildlife density.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Indeed. Managers cost money.
Workers do work the workers know they must do.
Managers tell workers what workers know they must do.

Ergo :
Fire the managers.
Only keep the managers that started at the very lowest position as workers.
That will be an amount of 10%.
90% will be gone and since these managers usually get 3 to 5 times the salary of the worker without taking the responsibility. There will be a lot of money saved. Time to end this ridiculous notion that jobs are important no matter what. Unnecessary jobs also cost money and do not contribute. Optimization is more important. If there are no jobs, then it is time to create a new industry that is actual beneficial to society and environment.

Exactly.

Many companies hire managers like there's no tomorrow or as if they're running a daycare and the workers are the children.

In many cases if you treat your employees like adults and give them the freedom they need to do their jobs, they'll get shit done and be content. Too often managers are nothing more than grossly overpaid babysitters who just micromanage, get in the way of progress, and kiss upper management's asses rather than being an advocate and cheerleader for the ones they manage.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Exactly.

Many companies hire managers like there's no tomorrow or as if they're running a daycare and the workers are the children.

In many cases if you treat your employees like adults and give them the freedom they need to do their jobs, they'll get shit done and be content. Too often managers are nothing more than grossly overpaid babysitters who just micromanage, get in the way of progress, and kiss upper management's asses rather than being an advocate and cheerleader for the ones they manage.

Spoken as someone who has never been a manager. Many people can't be expected to act like adults. Don't you think that if companies could save money by not having managers they would?

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Spoken as someone who has never been a manager. Many people can't be expected to act like adults. Don't you think that if companies could save money by not having managers they would?

I have no doubt there are situations where managers have to be babysitters.

However, that should be the exception, not the rule. The majority of companies follow this mold.

Having worked for some VERY bad managers, I'd relish the opportunity to try it out myself. And maybe it will be a rude awakening for me. However, I would have enough sense to stay out of the way of my employees, not micromanage everything they do, treat them professionally, and be on their side rather than upper management's in hope of a promotion.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999

I can see we have a large difference of opinion:

You're of the opinion that these people can actually find jobs - they can't, there aren't any jobs to be found!

I'm of the opinion that while the economy is so bad, and we're paying these people to essentially sit on their asses for 99 weeks straight, that at some point in those 99 weeks, we actually get some labor for that money.

You must be a retard of the very highest order to think people need to be trained to any real degree to pick up trash. To hold a scaper in their hand and scrape. To hold a paintbrush in their hand and paint. To cut brush and stack it. Etc.

That you actually think any significant number of these people are going to find work, that you think they'd need training to do the simplest of tasks, that you think we should pay them to sit there and do nothing....

....basically means you're a retard.

Not sure really how better to get that through to you.

Chuck

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I have no doubt there are situations where managers have to be babysitters.

However, that should be the exception, not the rule. The majority of companies follow this mold.

I am not so sure. I have worked for several different companies and I see the same general trend. There are some bad managers but there always seem to be more employees that need babysitting. As employees get younger it actually seems to be getting worse. The work ethic just doesn't seem to be there as often and non-work related activities 'on the clock' seem to be on the rise (facebook, phone games, etc)

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
To FiRST: You are forgetting the obvious fact here that habitat for humanity builds hundreds/thousands of houses per year with volunteers with no experience and a handful of professionals over seeing the operation. Building a house is a bit more complicated than picking up trash and painting. Though both are included activities. The point here is you think people are incapable of doing anything without extensive training may just be a reflection of how insufficient you are in doing anything constructive without massive hand holding effort.

I jumped on a few builds myself and was roofing, sawing, framing....all activities I've never done. i was productive within the first 30 minutes of showing up on the job site.

In summary most humans are not retarded.

Last edited:

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
To FiRST: You are forgetting the obvious fact here that habitat for humanity builds hundreds/thousands of houses per year with volunteers with no experience and a handful of professionals over seeing the operation. Building a house is a bit more complicated than picking up trash and painting. Though both are included activities. The point here is you think people are incapable of doing anything without extensive training may just be a reflection of how insufficient you are in doing anything constructive without massive hand holding effort.

I jumped on a few builds myself and was roofing, sawing, framing....all activities I've never done. i was productive within the first 30 minutes of showing up on the job site.

Exactly.

It's like he believes that if you took 20 unemployed workers, gave them a bag, and stood them in front of a parking lot with one million dollar bills on the ground, and then told them that they get to keep whatever they pick up...

...that any of them would ask for training on how to stuff the bag, their pockets, their pants, their shirt, undies, socks, etc.

Please.

That parking lot would be currency free in record time.

Training...what a F'ing moron.

Chuck

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I'll meet you down around Mount Boktukalo in the Kiamichi Mountains. Been hunting there since I was a kid and know where there are some natural shelters(caves) and there are even some abandoned logging cabins back in the forest. Plenty of freshwater streams as well for fishing. Of course there's also the area around Robber's Cave, but it doesn't have near the wildlife density.

All the forum members should get together and form a survival group if everything collapses :D

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Exactly.

It's like he believes that if you took 20 unemployed workers, gave them a bag, and stood them in front of a parking lot with one million dollar bills on the ground, and then told them that they get to keep whatever they pick up...

...that any of them would ask for training on how to stuff the bag, their pockets, their pants, their shirt, undies, socks, etc.

Please.

That parking lot would be currency free in record time.

Training...what a F'ing moron.

Chuck

Damn, then they would be trained for political careers. :eek:

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Haha, no no, Politicians would be picking the money out of other peoples pockets, bags, etc. Politicians don't actually do work to pick money up off the ground.....

Chuck

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009

I would never willing live in a habitat home.

shottiest workmanship ever. been in them(some in my area) after a few years of being lived in, and asked my realtor why in the world he though I would want to see the house uless it was an example of what not to buy....

its actually a great example of why it wouldnt work.

Painting? takes much more know how than some people think if you dont want to have to keep redoing it over and over again