Are we in seriously deep doo doo?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
We have Millions of unemployed...they, or more of the millions, can always go back.

P.S. Many of these millions are not as dumb as First, they'll be able to mentally handle scraping paint, painting, pickuping up trash, light landscaping/yard maintenance, etc.

Chuck

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I do think a person of reasonable intelligence could offer immediate assistance even in skilled trades like building. For example just holding an end of drywall while an experienced person puts it in. It wouldn't be long before they're both doing the same task. Or man the miter saw and cut lengths for a real carpenter :)

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
I do think a person of reasonable intelligence could offer immediate assistance even in skilled trades like building. For example just holding an end of drywall while an experienced person puts it in. It wouldn't be long before they're both doing the same task. Or man the miter saw and cut lengths for a real carpenter :)

I never said they couldnt help, but actually do it. nope.

I had a boss at a shop, retired, second career. had a masters degree.

after seriously, the 20th time, I showed him to change the oil on the same bike, he still couldnt do it w/o me there without screwing something up.

some people, just cant grasp some things.

I do agree that with the extreme unemplyment extensions we should be getting something back out of this other than some people sitting on their ass at home in the AC while the rest of us work.

Last edited:

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
I can see we have a large difference of opinion:

You're of the opinion that these people can actually find jobs - they can't, there aren't any jobs to be found!
Actually I know for a fact they can find jobs and will, it’s inevitable and the only question is when and how long.
I'm of the opinion that while the economy is so bad, and we're paying these people to essentially sit on their asses for 99 weeks straight, that at some point in those 99 weeks, we actually get some labor for that money.
Rofl. Virtually no one has been unemployed 99 weeks straight you crank, the average amount of time people are unemployed these days is 36 weeks, about a third of that.
You must be a retard of the very highest order to think people need to be trained to any real degree to pick up trash. To hold a scaper in their hand and scrape. To hold a paintbrush in their hand and paint. To cut brush and stack it. Etc.
What’s funny is that you honestly think it doesn’t require training to do any of this which tells me you’ve never, ever done any of it. You quite literally are not allowed to legally work on particular types of construction on, for example, a house in zones they’re not approved for. You can’t actually know these things without experience, without training, with knowledge. You don’t figure this out via osmosis and, seriously, with the crackpot ideas you’ve come up with to solve unemployment you really, really shouldn’t be talking about intelligence. I mean you can, but you really just embarrass yourself.
That you actually think any significant number of these people are going to find work, that you think they'd need training to do the simplest of tasks, that you think we should pay them to sit there and do nothing....
Again, people are unemployed an average of 36 weeks these days, I’m not sure what makes you think that they won’t find jobs or how the solution you pulled from your ass won’t invariably lead to significantly longer unemployment time for these people forced into menial jobs they by and large don’t want to do and have outsourced to illegals by their very unwillingness to do them.

....basically means you're a retard.
Not sure really how better to get that through to you.

Chuck
Speaking of tards, remember that reject that proposed we put people into camps and that eugenics was a solution to our unemployment problems? Oh, right, lol.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Exactly.

It's like he believes that if you took 20 unemployed workers, gave them a bag, and stood them in front of a parking lot with one million dollar bills on the ground, and then told them that they get to keep whatever they pick up...

...that any of them would ask for training on how to stuff the bag, their pockets, their pants, their shirt, undies, socks, etc.

Please.

That parking lot would be currency free in record time.

Training...what a F'ing moron.

Chuck

No, never said that, but this does explain why you had to wimp out of replying how you would employ 14.6 million people with trash pickup while completely ignoring the massive increase in gov't spending it would require to coordinate a nationwide program for menial, future-less jobs. And hey, I guess if you're not located in a major city with no transportation, you're even more screwed...unless you use, uh, bussing, yeah! That doesn't cost anything, right!?!?!

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
To FiRST: You are forgetting the obvious fact here that habitat for humanity builds hundreds/thousands of houses per year with volunteers with no experience and a handful of professionals over seeing the operation. Building a house is a bit more complicated than picking up trash and painting. Though both are included activities. The point here is you think people are incapable of doing anything without extensive training may just be a reflection of how insufficient you are in doing anything constructive without massive hand holding effort.

I jumped on a few builds myself and was roofing, sawing, framing....all activities I've never done. i was productive within the first 30 minutes of showing up on the job site.

In summary most humans are not retarded.

Habitat for Humanity requires training and requires huge donations just to break even, so my point remains the same about deficit spending. I never said it requires "extensive training", those are your words not mine. It's minimal training, sure, but the fact that you have to spend any time or effort training at all is a much bigger deal when the number of unemployed Americans runs in the millions, and of course far outstrips that of HFH. Which, again, doesn't require the type of training you need to run a nuclear power plant, but does require growing the size of gov't, gov't administration, transportation and coordination, etc. It wouldn't actually be worth it, especially since these particular menial infrastructure projects don't have nearly the ROI as actual jobs do. Jobs with a future for wage growth, benefits, et al.

Last edited:

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Exactly.

Many companies hire managers like there's no tomorrow or as if they're running a daycare and the workers are the children.

In many cases if you treat your employees like adults and give them the freedom they need to do their jobs, they'll get shit done and be content. Too often managers are nothing more than grossly overpaid babysitters who just micromanage, get in the way of progress, and kiss upper management's asses rather than being an advocate and cheerleader for the ones they manage.

You've obviously never been in ANY type of management position. Thats all I'll say about that there. Yes, theres some damn good employees out there who need very little management direction. They are NOT the norm though.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
after seriously, the 20th time, I showed him to change the oil on the same bike, he still couldnt do it w/o me there without screwing something up.
There are some people who are just retarded, unfortunately. I know an older physician who has been known to turn off a tv by unplugging it due to being so hopelessly incompetent around any technology at all.
No way, pass, Republicans would never survive, they only know how to complain and bitch.
THIS statement from dmcowen, the most notorious whiner on P&N? You must be sh*ting me.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
So, you voted for Bush -- twice -- and all you can do is complain and bitch. By your own definition, you are a Republican.

I have this mental picture of Dave wandering the ruins searching out government checks and program applications . . .

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
I have this mental picture of Dave wandering the ruins searching out government checks and program applications . . .

He wouldn't last long enough to do that if things collapsed into an economic apocalypse. . A Twinkie filled blimpkin like him would be on a spit above a campfire in less that 12 hours. Then of course there is all the leather that could be harvested from him to make clothing, shelter, a nice sofa and probably even a few iPhone cases to help with antenna problems.

He would finally be useful and contributing to society for once in his life. Which is something I never expected could happen.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007

I jumped on a few builds myself and was roofing, sawing, framing....all activities I've never done. i was productive within the first 30 minutes of showing up on the job site.

Y e a a a a h h h.

bushworker.jpg

I would hope you could use a hammer better than this guy.

--

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
There are some people who are just retarded, unfortunately. I know an older physician who has been known to turn off a tv by unplugging it due to being so hopelessly incompetent around any technology at all.[/b]

yup

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Zebo's survival keys on a budget which may save your life.

4. A Rugar 10/22 and 2000 rounds ammo $300 - Can kill small game for protein and Keep Zombies at bay.... one per family is fine. Don't be going hog wild on firearms - they will be everywhere anyway if things get too bad, I see dead people, know what I'm saying?. Too much weight and all survival books say 22lr is all you really need on defensive/survivalist posture.

One thing you forgot, and one thing I would change. Forgot water. Without water all else is useless. You're going to want a bigger firearm than a 10/22, it's a good squirrel/rabbit gun, and can feed you, but if you want to keep your food and supplies you are going to want something a bit bigger. A short barreled rifle, either AR15 type, or krinkov type are good, they are small, light, high capacity and fire a round that will stop a human cold. Beyond that any of the cheaper lighter AK family is good, indestructible, and reliable.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
This actually isn't bad. I think peers are key. Not the kind of peers who pay a yard service to mow their 1/4 acre of grass but the kind who you see on the weekend with the engine jacked out of their project car.

I don't know.... Keep in mind if one has traits that makes them marginalized in civil society they will be really worthless/dead when pressure cooker stress 247 SHTF is on. OTOH You'd be surprised what yuppies are capable of who worked their butts off to be able to afford a lawn boy and understand time is money. Personality is key not really how they spend their free time. In general though I'll stick with bubbas.:p

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I'll meet you down around Mount Boktukalo in the Kiamichi Mountains. Been hunting there since I was a kid and know where there are some natural shelters(caves) and there are even some abandoned logging cabins back in the forest. Plenty of freshwater streams as well for fishing. Of course there's also the area around Robber's Cave, but it doesn't have near the wildlife density.

loose lips...Now everyone knows about it. OPSEC bro :D

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
One thing you forgot, and one thing I would change. Forgot water. Without water all else is useless. You're going to want a bigger firearm than a 10/22, it's a good squirrel/rabbit gun, and can feed you, but if you want to keep your food and supplies you are going to want something a bit bigger. A short barreled rifle, either AR15 type, or krinkov type are good, they are small, light, high capacity and fire a round that will stop a human cold. Beyond that any of the cheaper lighter AK family is good, indestructible, and reliable.

There is more water than land when I live but you're right I did not account for geographical disparity.

As far as weapons ....Like I said I tried to keep the go to ruck sack with everything under $1000 which anyone with a internet connection can afford. My Grandpa used to kill deer with a 22. Human die from them and 1000 rds only costs $40 not $400 like M193. But I don't disagree in general my GTG is a LMT piston AR with an ACOG and IR illuminator/laser on it and vest with PVS14 inside with 240 rd loadout of TAP LEO. But just that's over $6000 and no food or anything else yet.:)

Last edited:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm no economist but it just makes sense to me.

Over 30 years Wall Street and congress convinced us to outsource our production and we consumed more than we produced by taking on major debt. Same Wall Street now flush with cash by paying slave wages abroad and raking in record profit selling us stuff and new producers abroad loaned us trillions of dollars and turned us from a production based economy into a massively leveraged consumption economy. Americans have borrowed more money in the past twenty years than America borrowed in the prior 200.

We relied on unprecedented borrowing personally, business, municipal, federal to feed our families and 'grow' our businesses.

Now with Americans tapped, Wall Street understanding this end game is cutting of credit and America is shutting down since our entire economy was primarily dependent on leveraged consumption...What's even more disgusting is corrupt politicians are still at it, fucking Americans, like they did encouraging us to lose our production, we bailed out Wall Street while they cut us off.

Zebo warned of this cataclysm since I've been blogging on AT only to be called everything from and isolationist to a racist when times were good (i.e. loans were flowing) but it turns out Zebo was one of the few that really knew......

There are still a couple more shoes to drop. These Financial Terrorists will eventually cut off credit from our cities, counties, states, schools, and hospitals and these are very large employers in our economy....

Enjoy the next phase....which will be you having to work for wages and getting services somewhere between China and India if you want the jobs back. Oh but you owe a lot more, in national debt we are all joint and severally liable for, so you might have to skip on the rice tonight.

What's funny is while most of the nation is broke the bankers are richer than ever and can take all your leveraged property as well if you don't work for the hellish market they created. Slavery is what that used to be called.

Last edited:

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
People have still not waken up to the problem. Most are still waiting for the government to fix things. Credit should have never been given to people for small purchases .

Think about this. If credit had only been reserved for large purchases then most consumers would not be in as much trouble as they are now. Getting a credit card is far too easy and people fill them up with little purchases and a lot of them are impulse buys. Something like a car or home though takes time to purchase, lots of paperwork and signing and does make the buyer consider more about if they want to do it .

For the past 3 years I have lived credit free. I do not owe banks, credit cards, unions,mortgage or anything else. I have been living strictly on cash and I think more people need to do that. Make a law that says default on a debt and not only does your score lower but you can get no credit anywhere for 1 year. I have learned in the past 3 years after only using cash that I am missing out on nothing. There is nothing I would have now that would make my life better because I used credit.

I make purchases wiser than ever before. When I go to stores and something I see is going to cost me a weeks pay then I don't get it or decide if I can really afford it. Instead of financing a new car I open a savings account. This is something my aunt taught me. She always buys a new car but has never financed one. She buys a new car, and on that day starts putting money into a savings account. Within 5-6 years when the current car needs to be replaced she takes the money out and buys a new one and the process repeats. If you cannot save up to buy something then you shouldn't buy it with credit either unless it is something that would take a really long time to get like a car. Putting multiple $50 purchases or food on credit thinking it will be paid later is a trap many people fall into. Use cash and cut up the card.

I know people will say that their card gives them all this cash back and bonus discounts. Where do people think the cards get the money to make those offers ?

Americans are more consumer goods oriented than other nations. People in the USA tend to want things and they want them now . They use them as a way to judge their success in life. Spending more and having more possessions = I will be happier in many minds. If they can't spend they get depressed so they turn to credit. Until people realize that possessions does not equal self worth nothing will change. There is nobody who can not live off what they earn in the USA as long as it is above minimum wage. They choose the lifestyle they have and have set conditions in their mind of what they think they need and almost always what they list as a need is a want.

When anyone challenges them to change their lifestyle to fit what they earn they react in defiance . The situation with the economy and people reminds me of the child that is never told no by his parents. The parents(government) gives them everything they want so when they ask for a video game and the parent says they can't afford it , the kid becomes angry at the parent. The kid pouts because he expects the parents to do what he wants . Instead of getting a job and buying that video game the kid stays at home complaining to the parent. The same thing all the people waiting for the government to fix things are doing.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Good post above. But lets view this from another perspective. What if you KNOW that this system of economics is damaged beyond redemption. If you have 401 K account your going to lose all that . if not all most . If the system fails would it not be prudent to run credit card bills up . If the system fails you lose your 401K. Your not going to have to pay those credit bills. I have stayed debt free . But everthing I do now is credit . My wife had over a half million in 401k . She going to lose all that . I recently talked her into borrowing as much as she could from it . Which was a considerable amount . Every week she has to pay out of her check . The sweet part is she is paying the 8% interest to herself . She bought gold as I instructed and now she is thinking she pretty dam smart . Because her 401k money is earning 8% interest no matter what. And Gold is going up . So there is more than 1 way to deal with current events . depending on YOUR perspective . In a normal environment I agree with you 100% in this environment I think we are approaching this correctly . We can't lose eoither way . The only thing not protected is the 401k money she couldn't borrow.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
What's the frequency Kenneth?

If I said what the frequency was .Than I would expose my family . As it is I just a nut case. But I still delivered the message and told ya how and why.The water bearer has poured his vile out upon the deep blue see. Now it turns to blood red

Last edited: