Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 38 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

catkicker

Nov 19, 2005
Time to co-opt some language: its time to HODL with those Diamond Hands.

Wait for next gen or wait for the glut of cheap used inventory. Don't reward AMD & NV & AIB & Scalpers for finally having MSRP availability 1.5 years after launch and 6 months away from the next gen products.

I took a oath a few years ago NEVER to buy a GPU new from retailers.
For all my family and my builds I buy from forums and occasionally the bay

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Ethereum has fallen under $1250. Still not far enough to make it unprofitable but it might get some GPUs on eBay.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Ethereum has fallen under $1250. Still not far enough to make it unprofitable but it might get some GPUs on eBay.
Yes, it's still profitable on newer more efficient cards, but they're not bringing much profit. I'm guessing older cards like RTX20xx that were not good at hashing are actually barely breaking even.

My "hobby" operation of a single 3070 and a single 3060ti brings in 0.04 ETH per month which comes out to $50 gross revenue, I spend roughly $28 per month for electricity. $20 isn't much profit if any. Pretty much the only reason I'm going is because I plan on keeping my video cards, so might as well offset purchase price with ETH mining. If ETH dips low enough I will absolutely stop mining because at that point I'd be mining at a loss. And again, keep in mind, that's with 30xx cards that are very very efficient at mining, everybody else is probably just about breaking even.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Yes, it's still profitable on newer more efficient cards, but they're not bringing much profit. I'm guessing older cards like RTX20xx that were not good at hashing are actually barely breaking even.

My "hobby" operation of a single 3070 and a single 3060ti brings in 0.04 ETH per month which comes out to $50 gross revenue, I spend roughly $28 per month for electricity. $20 isn't much profit if any. Pretty much the only reason I'm going is because I plan on keeping my video cards, so might as well offset purchase price with ETH mining. If ETH dips low enough I will absolutely stop mining because at that point I'd be mining at a loss. And again, keep in mind, that's with 30xx cards that are very very efficient at mining, everybody else is probably just about breaking even.

That's because you don't have 100,000 of them in a giant warehouse making $2million per month. And who's fault is that? HMM?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That's because you don't have 100,000 of them in a giant warehouse making $2million per month. And who's fault is that? HMM?
Like me? /rOFLcopter

I shouldn't even joke about this. Truth be told, I've been up to nearly 40 GPUs, at one point, though no 30-series mining. (Mostly, GTX 1660 Super / ti, some 5700/XT, some RX 6600/XT most recently.)

But unfortunately, I'm shutting down and selling off. Even with "free" power, don't want to abuse my landlord for a mere pittance of profit.

Last edited:

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I'm not sure what you're getting to, but if you're trying to refer to scale, scale of operation does not matter, only return on investment does, and current return on mining ETH is very crappy and dropping by the day. I already said somewhere in these forums a few months ago that time to sell is now (few months ago) since ETH will keep on dropping and once it goes PoS all that hardware will become useless.

Large operations with thousands of cards do bring in tons more revenue than my paltry 2 cards, but they also have invested a lot more capital into buying thousands of cards that will need to be paid off. Right now those thousands of cards are worth something, in 2 months they'll be worth half of what they are now. I don't have to sell my cards and I won't, but for large operations those cards will soon become a liability instead of income producing assets.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm not so worried about Bitcoin surviving, because it will. But I am concerned about various altcoins, once they hit zero and are de-listed.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
The great crash has begun... the great sell off should follow soon.
If your a gamer... you really want a 3060ti or a 3070ti in the great sell off.
I think the 3080 won't have a massive sell off, but in fairly sure were gonna see some mouth watering prices for the 3060ti.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The great crash has begun... the great sell off should follow soon.
If your a gamer... you really want a 3060ti or a 3070ti in the great sell off.
I think the 3080 won't have a massive sell off, but in fairly sure were gonna see some mouth watering prices for the 3060ti.
Yup.

"The Flood" (of used GPUs), is imminent. Let it rain GPUs!

I saw on Reddit, someone bought 40x 3070 cards for $250 USD ea. Not too bad.

Reactions: |JosephB17331|

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Yup.

In 2022 any 8GB card should have a max MSRP of $300. The "normal" prices of GPUs has been absolutely stoopid. I can't get over people who lost their minds at $800 3070Ti's saying it was such a bargain, lol. I hope the flood completely destroys demand for the 4000 series. I'd buy a 3080 for $350 and call it good before spending a GRAND on a 4080. Nvidia can take their yet-another-price-hiked 4000 series and absolutely slam each and every GPU right up their collective through-gut end regions.

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
In 2022 any 8GB card should have a max MSRP of $300. The "normal" prices of GPUs has been absolutely stoopid. I can't get over people who lost their minds at $800 3070Ti's saying it was such a bargain, lol. I hope the flood completely destroys demand for the 4000 series. I'd buy a 3080 for $350 and call it good before spending a GRAND on a 4080. Nvidia can take their yet-another-price-hiked 4000 series and absolutely slam each and every GPU right up their collective through-gut end regions.
But think of the poor Nvidia shareholders!

Think of their margins if they had to sell cards with more than 8GB after just having been forced to spend more on on expensive TSMC wafers because cheaper Samsung wafers weren't an option this time!

Still the good news for them is that time they might not panic and settle for lower prices (MSRP compared to Turing) because they feared the new consoles and RDNA2; because AMD's numbers meant they were mostly a no-show.

[sarc]

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Pretty much the only reason I'm going is because I plan on keeping my video cards, so might as well offset purchase price with ETH mining. If ETH dips low enough I will absolutely stop mining because at that point I'd be mining at a loss.
We need to factor in the wear and tear on the GPUs, powersupply, etc also.

On the flip side, depending how far north a person its, the heating effect might still be of value.

Feb 4, 2009
Yup.

That is a risky bet the dude is making. Assuming he wants a 35% margin he needs to sell those 3070s at close to $350 each the little padding is for various shipping charges and one is bound to fail too soon to not refund someone or not work from day one or simply be too beat up to sell.
Not sure if I like the idea of a $350 used 3070 from a private seller right now.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Not sure if I like the idea of a $350 used 3070 from a private seller right now.

before i would probably not even touch.
Now however might be a different story as these mining cards are typically majorly undervolted, and Ram only overclocked.
That means its pretty quick to figure out if the card is artifiacting, and the core being kept undervolted will probably give you more then a reasonable life out of that card.

LHR cards are even better as they are mostly limited to 70% load... until reciently when a full unlock was released.
But still LHR cards.. 3060Ti... 3070Ti... both are mostly all LHR with a few exceptions on the 3060ti.
But non LHR cards will definitely cost more then LHR, so you shouldn't even bother looking for non LHR.

GET THE LHR CARDS IF YOUR A BUDGET GAMER.

Old mining cards are not cards you intend on keeping for 5+yrs... unless we by some magic wave again see a massive influx of miners and you can't get a videocard like some people who are still stuck on a 1080Ti.

But again.... i would probably go after the CREAM of the CROP AIB cards, the ones with big heat sinks like a ASUS TUFF / EVGA FTW3 / ASUS STRIX card.
Definitely wouldn't touch a MSI, nor would i touch Zotac.

Also don't settle of a regular 3060/3070 for gaming... always make sure it says Ti at the end the only exception being the 3080 and 3090.
Those 2 letters at the end can sometimes mean it will last tech wise an extra year possibly a bit more before the non Ti's are really considered obsolete.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That is a risky bet the dude is making. Assuming he wants a 35% margin he needs to sell those 3070s at close to $350 each the little padding is for various shipping charges and one is bound to fail too soon to not refund someone or not work from day one or simply be too beat up to sell.
Crazy thing was, this was a mining sub-reddit. Dude was probably buying them to mine with. Crazy, eh?

ETH is tanking, it may actually collapse in on itself before Proof-of-Stake transition happens, even, which will bring the whole DeFi economy down with it.

They had such a good and prosperous thing, why did the devs want to screw it up? They wanted more control, and wanted to screw over the miners. EIP-1559 and burning xaction fees wasn't good enough, they had to fully move over to proof-of-stake, and cut out miners entirely. I hope that V.B. loses his entire fortune when ETH tanks. It would be Karmic Justice, for taking away the miner's fortunes.

(Yes, I'm bitter about what happened to ETH mining. It used to be an enjoyable and prosperous occupation-of-sorts, and then... reduced to nothing. And it didn't have to be that way.)

Last edited:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011

This is why I predicted $350 3080's and people were like NO YOU STUPID. Watch, pretty soon they won't be worth a fart in a hurricane.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Nope, seems to have stabilized @ +20% MSRP for RTX 3080 and rx 6800xt here in Denmark.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Nope, seems to have stabilized @ +20% MSRP for RTX 3080 and rx 6800xt here in Denmark.
I heard mention maybe a month ago by a crypto YouTuber, that the reason that there are so many cards hitting MSRP or below, new, is because those cards were less desireable for mining.

Make of that what you will.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

-$350 for a 3070 from a private seller is basically an insta-buy at this point and it the dude is smart and trickles the listings 2-3 at a time in ebay ****ing morons will throw money at him.

He'll easy sell each for $600 a pop and the clowns will walk away thinking that they got a god damn deal.

I've been watching eBay with all the news of next gen on the horizon and right now AMD cards are going slightly discounted from their MSRP while Nvidia cards are still outrageously overpriced even used and 2 years old it's nuts.

Jul 27, 2020
I've been watching eBay with all the news of next gen on the horizon and right now AMD cards are going slightly discounted from their MSRP while Nvidia cards are still outrageously overpriced even used and 2 years old it's nuts.
NV's RT and DLSS are superior to AMD's. Maybe AMD wins the next round.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
ETH is tanking, it may actually collapse in on itself before Proof-of-Stake transition happens, even, which will bring the whole DeFi economy down with it.

Nobody serious about the technology will really be hurt. Speculators? Sure. But they'll just buy the dips and roll back in later. Money isn't vanishing, it's just changing hands.

In any case, a massive crash before PoS is exactly what the market needs for anyone looking to accumulate for staking. It's almost like someone planned it! Meanwhile, video card prices will crash due to the double pressure of tanking ETH prices and no real future for ETH mining. Plus other alts are also getting wrecked, so it's unlikely that hashpower will be able to chase anything else. Bad time to be a miner.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Bitcoin/Ethereum developers???

Well in the case of Ethereum, it's well known that the EF are major bag holders, so you wouldn't think they would do it unless they wanted further accumulation. Also Buterin himself has lamented that ETH trades at too high a price for it to be useful.