Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 36 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Well I'm going to be the contrarian here. Prices will not go up. We should remember why prices fell so much in the 4870/9800/GTX 280 era. Well guess what, we're heading there again and there's no stopping it.

Reactions: amenx
Feb 4, 2009
Well I'm going to be the contrarian here. Prices will not go up. We should remember why prices fell so much in the 4870/9800/GTX 280 era. Well guess what, we're heading there again and there's no stopping it.

agreed assuming there is no new crypto craze it appears sellers are sitting on a whole mess of cards and they are all jockeying to minimize losses on them because they likely paid a premium for these cards. Many folkssimp,y aren’t willing to pay an inflated msrp priced card when they know the market will ultimately dump these cards before the next gen arrives.

Reactions: amenx

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
agreed assuming there is no new crypto craze it appears sellers are sitting on a whole mess of cards and they are all jockeying to minimize losses on them because they likely paid a premium for these cards. Many folkssimp,y aren’t willing to pay an inflated msrp priced card when they know the market will ultimately dump these cards before the next gen arrives.
Not only that, check this as an indicator. If this is representative of the wider situation, which I believe it is, then TSMC and others are looking at a collapse in demand going forward.

As they say, the chickens are coming home to roost. Many companies are simply going to have to sacrifice margins.

*HONDA MAY U.S. AUTO SALES -57.3%

*TOYOTA US MAY SALES 175,990, -27.3% Y/Y

*MAZDA N. AMERICA MAY SALES DOWN 63.7%

*NISSAN APRIL GLOBAL SALES -29.1%

Reactions: Fanatical Meat
Feb 4, 2009
Not only that, check this as an indicator. If this is representative of the wider situation, which I believe it is, then TSMC and others are looking at a collapse in demand going forward.

As they say, the chickens are coming home to roost. Many companies are simply going to have to sacrifice margins.

*HONDA MAY U.S. AUTO SALES -57.3%

*TOYOTA US MAY SALES 175,990, -27.3% Y/Y

*MAZDA N. AMERICA MAY SALES DOWN 63.7%

*NISSAN APRIL GLOBAL SALES -29.1%

yeah I get that, I have zero evidence but it feels like consumers are reacting/delaying purchases of big ticket stuff and many if not all vendors padded a whole bunch of extra profit in with their “inflationary” prices. Consumers aren’t falling for these huge increases any longer.

Reactions: maddie

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Hopefully, they won't "E.T." truckloads of unsold 3000-series cards, rather than fire-sale them. Would Nvidia be that cruel?

Nah, they'd just sell them to miners, and sell them they would. There's always a crowd of lunatic miners willing to rig an exercise bike to a generator while stuffing their faces with cheap, expired baked goods to get them sweet crypto coins.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I figured the used card market prices would have settled down by now thanks to new cards being available for MSRP, but there is still some seriously goofy pricing on things like 6700XT and 3060Ti and the like, where used cards are going for only $80-100 off of a brand new card's prices (For example, most 6700XT's are going for roughly $425 shipped while 3060Ti's are just going for stupid high prices out in the $500's).

There is still a ton of pent up demand out there from folks and the AIB "MSRP" is still out of reach for a lot of people it looks like.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Prices are headed the wrong way if the recent rumoured 6700 (non XT) 10GB prices are true, €570 which is higher than the 6700XT prices currently.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I figured the used card market prices would have settled down by now thanks to new cards being available for MSRP, but there is still some seriously goofy pricing on things like 6700XT and 3060Ti and the like, where used cards are going for only $80-100 off of a brand new card's prices (For example, most 6700XT's are going for roughly $425 shipped while 3060Ti's are just going for stupid high prices out in the $500's).

There is still a ton of pent up demand out there from folks and the AIB "MSRP" is still out of reach for a lot of people it looks like.

I think part of the reason for the high "used" prices is because those people most likely payed over MSRP to start with, and don't want to lose money. They will have to drop their prices eventually.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I think part of the reason for the high "used" prices is because those people most likely payed over MSRP to start with, and don't want to lose money. They will have to drop their prices eventually.

- Right, but these are sold cards with like 20-30 bids on them if not more. Its one thing to ask for a high price, its another for folks to actually buy at that high price and that is what is happening.

Feb 4, 2009
Shortages scare people and cause irrational behavior, see the great toilet paper shortage.
Once that irrational behavior disappears which it will, prices will normalize.
I agree someone who paid over retail wants to maximize their sale price which atm is irrational to expect.

FlawleZ

Oct 13, 2016
We'll see what happens after the cryptobros mess the bed. They can't rely on a handful of mouth-foamy psycho gamers to buy all their overpriced crap. They have to offer value to normal people as well.
Gamers are the minority of their customers. The cryptocraze is responsible for ~80% of the price hikes and demand we saw the last 2 years or so.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

I suspect that release dates of anything other than the 4090 (and maybe Ti) are going to be pushed out so inventory can be cleared.

Gamers are the minority of their customers. The cryptocraze is responsible for ~80% of the price hikes and demand we saw the last 2 years or so.

nVidia does have a fair amount of OEM deals.

kschendel

Aug 1, 2018
Shortages scare people and cause irrational behavior, see the great toilet paper shortage.
Once that irrational behavior disappears which it will, prices will normalize.
I agree someone who paid over retail wants to maximize their sale price which atm is irrational to expect.

Just to go OT for a post, the toilet paper shortage wasn't all (or even mostly) irrational buying. All of a sudden, commercial TP usage dropped to near zero, the demand being transferred to household TP. The two aren't the same (different product, different packaging, different pricing, etc) and you can't make up the household slack by stocking grocery shelves with commercial TP. It was in fact a real shortage in many ways.

Panic buying didn't help, of course.

Back to video cards now...

Feb 4, 2009
Just to go OT for a post, the toilet paper shortage wasn't all (or even mostly) irrational buying. All of a sudden, commercial TP usage dropped to near zero, the demand being transferred to household TP. The two aren't the same (different product, different packaging, different pricing, etc) and you can't make up the household slack by stocking grocery shelves with commercial TP. It was in fact a real shortage in many ways.

Panic buying didn't help, of course.

Back to video cards now...

What was meant was the bizarre behavior that followed. People buying many months worth of TP. So much so that a TP sales slump followed.
Similar things with cards that dude who has been waiting two years to get a decent card is alright with paying a small premium. Once all those folks have their cards I predict prices will fall even more.

Jul 27, 2020
A lot of folks don't want to invest in a current gen GPU when the next gen is so close and which, even on AMD side, may make raytracing in games an actual playable reality.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
A lot of folks don't want to invest in a current gen GPU when the next gen is so close and which, even on AMD side, may make raytracing in games an actual playable reality.

Except there's allegedly no mid range RDNA3 and AD106 probably isn't coming until like March or something. AD107 is probably mobile only.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Except there's allegedly no mid range RDNA3 and AD106 probably isn't coming until like March or something. AD107 is probably mobile only.
And are enough aware of this rumor and believe it to affect market prices?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
What do you call mid-range?

I would consider Navi 33 high end, and 31 and 32 Ultra High End. Price will mostly depend on how it compares to Ada.

And are enough aware of this rumor and believe it to affect market prices?

There's probably a point where people will get a hint when there's only the super high end stuff available.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
I would consider Navi 33 high end, and 31 and 32 Ultra High End. Price will mostly depend on how it compares to Ada.

There's probably a point where people will get a hint when there's only the super high end stuff available.
Answer me this then, what is the mid-range gap for the present cards? Need some context here.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
$400 - $500

Price has never been a viable way to describe the various ranges of cards, because it goes up with every generation.

400-500 used to be ultra high end. With the 5700 XT, it was mid range and started at $399. But the 6700 XT that was its direct replacement started at $499.