AOC nails it again

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Edging? Social media is a malignant tumor on our society. Facebook is the largest contributor
Yea, but theres the natural evolution of being a CEO of such a large tech company ... and then there is direct malign intent for personal gain. That gets you on the naughty list.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yea, but theres the natural evolution of being a CEO of such a large tech company ... and then there is direct malign intent for personal gain. That gets you on the naughty list.
Personal gain was the intent for a long time. Nothings free, the product he was selling is us.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I like the Idea of facebook, the execution, not so much.

I have an account there, mainly just to keep in contact with family.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I like the Idea of facebook, the execution, not so much.

I have an account there, mainly just to keep in contact with family.

I would be more likely to use a service like that regularly if they required a small free monthly, in return for not whoring out my personal information to any bidder, and monitoring their own systems more.

Reactions: hal2kilo and dawp

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
It's not a bad idea for Democratic politicians to just run the most offensive and wildly false ads they can think of until Facebook reconsiders. Like 'Trump is a child molester' type stuff.
I think we should crowd fund a Facebook ad linking Trump, Zuckerberg, and Jeffrey Epstein. Wonder how quickly Zuck would begin to question his policy on ads if that took off.

• Love
Reactions: cytg111

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I think we should crowd fund a Facebook ad linking Trump, Zuckerberg, and Jeffrey Epstein. Wonder how quickly Zuck would begin to question his policy on ads if that took off.

Well that's the thing though, if WE made that ad then it would be taken down for being false. If a politician posted our crowdfunded 'Zuck is a pedophile' video though that's totally fine.

Facebook has policies against posting false and misleading ads, they've just decided they don't apply to politicians because Zuck is afraid of Trump using the justice department against him.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
AOC thinks a corporation should be in charge of establishing the veracity of their customers statements, and you fellows think that's a good idea?
You want to take away the First Amendment Rights of private Americans?

Why do you hate America so so much?

• Love
Reactions: ch33zw1z

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Been tested and PACs cannot do it

Yes, the rule is that only politicians can lie with impunity.

As to why Facebook has decided it can determine what is and is not false and then deliberately chooses not to apply that standard to politicians is...curious. (Okay its not at all curious, it’s a gift to Trump as they know he will lie relentlessly.)

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Yes, the rule is that only politicians can lie with impunity.

As to why Facebook has decided it can determine what is and is not false and then deliberately chooses not to apply that standard to politicians is...curious. (Okay its not at all curious, it’s a gift to Trump as they know he will lie relentlessly.)
Suckerberg has chosen a side, the adult thing to do here is to make that obvious: Crowd fund ads portraying Mark in context of alt right extremists. Keep em coming. Make sure he understands what side of history he is on.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
I can’t wait until AOC starts running ads thanking Congress people you like for their support. She can even have a nifty picture standing next to them and photo shop their signatures on her proposals.
Can’t wait should be epic.
Same question to you as Greenman, is there a reason why Facebook should be held to a lesser standard than any other media company?
Come on man this should be something we can agree upon.
How do I become a certified or an official "fact checker"? Will there be some training or licensing process? Maybe Adam Schiff could head that committee up as well?

Feb 4, 2009
How do I become a certified or an official "fact checker"? Will there be some training or licensing process? Maybe Adam Schiff could head that committee up as well?

Don't know, how does one become a fact checker for broadcast TV?
Again why should facebook be held to a different standard than any other large media?