AOC nails it again

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Then I should be able to run an ad on my local radio station saying my competitor spits in his customers' food and kicks puppies for fun. The corporation shouldn't be in charge of establishing the veracity of my statement.

It is kind of funny that people are arguing that the government regulating false statements on Facebook is a terrible idea while apparently not realizing that the government has regulated the broadcast of false information for decades and decades and its' been fine.

Reactions: nickqt

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
FB is dying on the vine anyways. As you said, no younger users use it. My kids are teenagers and they don't touch FB. Even Instagram is of minor concern to them.
Many adults I know have left FB as well. I use it 1/10th of what I use to. Its a garbage heap now.

And what do the kids use now-a-days? Just twitter?

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Hope she runs for pres one day. If only to see conservatives, deplorables, right wing medias ballistic reaction to her. :p

That would be a sight to see. It'll bring out the racists, nationalists, traditionalists, Tea Party relics and early 20th century throw-backs like no other. Would make Obama's run look like the proverbial walk in the park due to Trump's normalizing and promoting racist isolationist themes in his rhetoric.

Feb 4, 2009
AOC and the rest of the Progressheviks are pushing for that because they have the list of approved fact checkers and what the "truth" should be.

I can’t wait until AOC starts running ads thanking Congress people you like for their support. She can even have a nifty picture standing next to them and photo shop their signatures on her proposals.
Can’t wait should be epic.
Same question to you as Greenman, is there a reason why Facebook should be held to a lesser standard than any other media company?
Come on man this should be something we can agree upon.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I can’t wait until AOC starts running ads thanking Congress people you like for their support. She can even have a nifty picture standing next to them and photo shop their signatures on her proposals.
Can’t wait should be epic.
Same question to you as Greenman, is there a reason why Facebook should be held to a lesser standard than any other media company?

It's not a bad idea for Democratic politicians to just run the most offensive and wildly false ads they can think of until Facebook reconsiders. Like 'Trump is a child molester' type stuff.

Feb 4, 2009
It's not a bad idea for Democratic politicians to just run the most offensive and wildly false ads they can think of until Facebook reconsiders. Like 'Trump is a child molester' type stuff.

Or what AOC said in another story. Fake election dates and locations.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
For a lowly Congresswoman she already stands heads and shoulders above the orange cheeto

I would say she stands heads and shoulders above most of those currently "serving" their constituents. You can tell Zuckerberg is like "What the fuck is going on? I'm super rich and I already bribed most of the politicians, why am I being asked these questions?" We really need a democratic revolution and remove a lot of these old government representatives. They're in there to line their pockets, not represent their people and fight for their well being.

Reactions: nickqt

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Translation: Progressives believe that facts exist and people can't just make up their own.

Well according to Zuckerberg he hires fact-checking sources that are so bad that AOC or someone else could run a political ad that says the entire GOP supports the New Green Deal, communism, whatever. Of course, this would be the fact checker's fault and not Zuckerberg for not exercising the responsibility of his content.

Reactions: Fanatical Meat

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have an even lower opinion of Trump. He is lower than cucaracha poop. Even lower than the bacteria that feeds on it and that's just based on his defective inhumane character traits. I wouldn't be able to describe how low he is in the food chain if I considered adding in his performance as the president.

edit - As for AOC, she sure does have a way of shining a nice bright light on the Repub's shenanigans while making them look like idiots for the crooked way they roll down Penn Ave.
I saw the orange comb-over trumpster on TV news last night with a large gaggle of yellow vested hard hatted unsmiling older white male blue collar workers behind him clapping as he grasped a lectern and explained that they were going to for sure build a wall in Colorado, a wall that no one could climb over or under. Then the news anchor explained that Colorado has no border with Mexico. I was loathing the trumpster, as I always do. He turns my stomach every time.

Feb 4, 2009
Well according to Zuckerberg he hires fact-checking sources that are so bad that AOC or someone else could run a political ad that says the entire GOP supports the New Green Deal, communism, whatever. Of course, this would be the fact checker's fault and not Zuckerberg for not exercising the responsibility of his content.

I noticed that too and had a similar thought.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I saw the orange comb-over trumpster on TV news last night with a large gaggle of yellow vested hard hatted unsmiling older white male blue collar workers behind him clapping as he grasped a lectern and explained that they were going to for sure build a wall in Colorado, a wall that no one could climb over or under. Then the news anchor explained that Colorado has no border with Mexico. I was loathing the trumpster, as I always do. He turns my stomach every time.

You ain't seen noth'in yet. Pelosi and Schiff was slow roasting his ass and now that they've thrown fresh lumber into the fire pit, lumber supplied by Trump himself, methinks Trump will get even meaner, uglier, much more stupid (if that's even possible), stridently foul mouthed and may even call for his supporters to take to the streets in his defense as he did with those knuckle head Repubs storming the House Impeachment Inquiry.

Reactions: Muse

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Is there a reason why Facebook should be held to a lesser standard than any other news paper, radio station, broadcast tv station or subscription tv service?

Zuckerberg met with conservative propoganda machines, all of a sudden conservatives are beating the regulate drum

Feb 4, 2009
Zuckerberg met with conservative propoganda machines, all of a sudden conservatives are beating the regulate drum

But seriously this is an issue we all should agree on.
We can disagree about how to regulate or fix it but who wants blatantly false political ads as per what AOC said later like
Wrong election dates
Wrong voting locations
Just plain verifiably wrong facts like Elizabeth Collins voted for green new deal

Stuff she didn’t mention:
What about a post that says “the voting machines in (whatever county that is critical) are wrong to vote for Y you need to check the box marked X. The corrupt poll workers were told not to tell people of this mistake.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You ain't seen noth'in yet. Pelosi and Schiff was slow roasting his ass and now that they've thrown fresh lumber into the fire pit, lumber supplied by Trump himself, methinks Trump will get even meaner, uglier, much more stupid (if that's even possible), stridently foul mouthed and may even call for his supporters to take to the streets in his defense as he did with those knuckle head Repubs storming the House Impeachment Inquiry.
TBH I pray that it gets so over the top, so indefensible, so gross, so intolerable, so obvious to anything but a stone, that Trump's Republican base turns their back on him permanently.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
But seriously this is an issue we all should agree on.
We can disagree about how to regulate or fix it but who wants blatantly false political ads as per what AOC said later like
Wrong election dates
Wrong voting locations
Just plain verifiably wrong facts like Elizabeth Collins voted for green new deal

Stuff she didn’t mention:
What about a post that says “the voting machines in (whatever county that is critical) are wrong to vote for Y you need to check the box marked X. The corrupt poll workers were told not to tell people of this mistake.

We should all agree, but #winning

Chromagnus

Feb 28, 2017
"Facebook is dying" is a common take right now. Many sight that it's dying while referencing Instagram and Whatsapp without realizing that Facebook owns both of them.

Facebook.com may be slowing down but Facebook as a company isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Feb 4, 2009
To be clear I’m not saying Political Spin should be regulated. Saying Obama took
your Doctor away isn’t completely true but it’s not completely false either. This is spin.
Saying the President settles a child molester claim with his first wife. That is verifiably false and waaaay out of the ballpark.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

The Flying Spaghetti Monster defense.