Anyone playing the new Darkfall?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Fished 3 un-safe zones and finally got 1 small treasure map

I see people selling stacks of these things on global all the time, so there must be some places that drop more.

How did you avoid getting ganked? Were you alone?

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I see people selling stacks of these things on global all the time, so there must be some places that drop more.

How did you avoid getting ganked? Were you alone?

The first map i was just out in the middle of nowhere on an island, the 2nd map i found i was fishing of a wrey raft i built in the middle of the sea.

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
The first map i was just out in the middle of nowhere on an island, the 2nd map i found i was fishing of a wrey raft i built in the middle of the sea.

Ha, cool. I haven't done any shipbuilding but maybe that's a reason to.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I was just out fishing, 7 small treasure maps, 2 regular, as i was headed back i was attacked by a kraken, scared the bejezuz out of me but managed to outrun it.

On my way back i was attacked by about 4-7 people, lost my boat but managed to escape with the maps

Last edited:

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
So, I ventured outside of the safe zone again last night. Made sure to dump all the crap I cared about in the bank and pocketed a Selentine chest key, with the object of going to a spot NE of Lyran where one is supposed to be. Thirty seconds past the border I was spotted. I had stayed mounted this time, assuming that the additional visibility would be offset by being able to run away at speed, but the other person had no problem catching me. Realized after the ganking that I hadn't left my six bags, or my arrows in the bank. So that was about a 600g experiment. I've got close to 10k gold at this point, so no big deal, but it would be nice to figure out how to get out of the safe zone and survive. Getting pretty boring. Two weeks in and I haven't been offered a group or run into anyone from a recruiting clan. Just solo killing, crafting, and harvesting.

As an aside, there are some freaking odd mechanics in this game. Why does it cost me 100 capacity to not ride my horse? Am I carrying the bastard? Why does it cost gold _and_ scarce resources to craft items, and then cost the same amount of gold to salvage them? Am I renting the crafting station? It's like they needed a lot of contrived resource sinks to balance the game.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
So, I ventured outside of the safe zone again last night. Made sure to dump all the crap I cared about in the bank and pocketed a Selentine chest key, with the object of going to a spot NE of Lyran where one is supposed to be. Thirty seconds past the border I was spotted. I had stayed mounted this time, assuming that the additional visibility would be offset by being able to run away at speed, but the other person had no problem catching me. Realized after the ganking that I hadn't left my six bags, or my arrows in the bank. So that was about a 600g experiment. I've got close to 10k gold at this point, so no big deal, but it would be nice to figure out how to get out of the safe zone and survive. Getting pretty boring. Two weeks in and I haven't been offered a group or run into anyone from a recruiting clan. Just solo killing, crafting, and harvesting.

As an aside, there are some freaking odd mechanics in this game. Why does it cost me 100 capacity to not ride my horse? Am I carrying the bastard? Why does it cost gold _and_ scarce resources to craft items, and then cost the same amount of gold to salvage them? Am I renting the crafting station? It's like they needed a lot of contrived resource sinks to balance the game.

Damn that's bad luck, 30 seconds! Where are you based out of? I try to use the terrain to cover me if possible, making sure no one sees me leaving the safe zones, avoiding all monster spawns.

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Damn that's bad luck, 30 seconds! Where are you based out of? I try to use the terrain to cover me if possible, making sure no one sees me leaving the safe zones, avoiding all monster spawns.

Yeah, it was about that :). Maybe a minute. I'm based out of Amurran, and left for that excursion from Lyran, to the north. There's a little lake with a cave in the nw corner, literally like two ridges ne from the safe zone. I was riding my shiny white tiger (visibility++) along the ridge well down from the top when I heard a pick and looked down and saw someone harvesting rock in the valley. I then saw someone else on a white tiger beyond the harvester, and almost immediately they turned toward me, so I responded by turning toward the safe zone. I'm not sure whether it was the mounted person who got me, or whether the attacker came from above on foot, but in any case it was just a couple seconds after I turned that the attacker was behind me on foot firing arrows. I took a couple of hits and down I went. Fork Selena, I will remember your name.

I had sort of gone into it thinking that the main thing I had done wrong the last time was not running away immediately :). But now I am not so sure. Are there differences in run speed between mounts, or players based on stats? Is there anything other than firing off dash that will affect run speed?

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
So, I joined up with a clan finally, and they have a holding way over on the east coast of the continent. I decided to make my way over there on foot as opposed to getting a summons. The first part of the journey took me northeast across the lawless lands to the dwarf capital. I have to say it was the most fun I've had in the game so far. I moved carefully. working the mountain ridges. Several times I was passed by players or groups of players and had to hide. The whole trip took me almost two hours. My reward was a new zone to explore.

The dwarf region is cool. A lot rockier than the elf lands, obviously. I found a mine that leads into Idawoll, and a brown bear camp and a few other things we don't have in the elf regions. On the downside, the "sewer" dungeon in the dwarf capital is an _exact_ copy of the sewer dungeon in the elf capital. I was all excited to check out a new dungeon, and... wait, is that the Lone Zombie? Are those Scumlings? Did I end up back in Amurran somehow? Rather lame.

I love the game, but it would be nice if they'd finish it.

ginfest

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2000
Are the various capitals outside the safe zone safe? IOW if I survive the trip into any of the various cities can I still be ganked once I'm in the city?

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Are the various capitals outside the safe zone safe? IOW if I survive the trip into any of the various cities can I still be ganked once I'm in the city?

Each race has a capital and three outlying cities, one for each of the factions in that race. The area surrounding these four locations is safe, as are their interiors, and as far as I know that goes for all the racial cities.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013

Post in the DF forums? Ask in global chat? Look through the guild-finder in game and see who's recruiting and apply? Talk to clan leaders shown in the guild-finder? A lot of these players are DF1 players running in the same clans.

You're not trying hard enough. :p

Crafting time and the gold cost are reduced in clan-owned cities. It's really expensive to craft in safe zones. It's the penalty for being a pussy. ;) Durability is also increased when crafting at clan-owned cities.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
Yeah, it was about that :). Maybe a minute. I'm based out of Amurran, and left for that excursion from Lyran, to the north. There's a little lake with a cave in the nw corner, literally like two ridges ne from the safe zone. I was riding my shiny white tiger (visibility++) along the ridge well down from the top when I heard a pick and looked down and saw someone harvesting rock in the valley. I then saw someone else on a white tiger beyond the harvester, and almost immediately they turned toward me, so I responded by turning toward the safe zone. I'm not sure whether it was the mounted person who got me, or whether the attacker came from above on foot, but in any case it was just a couple seconds after I turned that the attacker was behind me on foot firing arrows. I took a couple of hits and down I went. Fork Selena, I will remember your name.

I had sort of gone into it thinking that the main thing I had done wrong the last time was not running away immediately :). But now I am not so sure. Are there differences in run speed between mounts, or players based on stats? Is there anything other than firing off dash that will affect run speed?

All mounts share the same stats except for hitbox size and shape. Cats are good, hard to hit, but don't protect the rider by being big like the bear to soak up shots.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
So, I joined up with a clan finally, and they have a holding way over on the east coast of the continent. I decided to make my way over there on foot as opposed to getting a summons. The first part of the journey took me northeast across the lawless lands to the dwarf capital. I have to say it was the most fun I've had in the game so far. I moved carefully. working the mountain ridges. Several times I was passed by players or groups of players and had to hide. The whole trip took me almost two hours. My reward was a new zone to explore.

The dwarf region is cool. A lot rockier than the elf lands, obviously. I found a mine that leads into Idawoll, and a brown bear camp and a few other things we don't have in the elf regions. On the downside, the "sewer" dungeon in the dwarf capital is an _exact_ copy of the sewer dungeon in the elf capital. I was all excited to check out a new dungeon, and... wait, is that the Lone Zombie? Are those Scumlings? Did I end up back in Amurran somehow? Rather lame.

I love the game, but it would be nice if they'd finish it.

Oh snap. We raid people over there. What clan did you join up with?? :ninja:

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Just hit a chaos chest with a Large Treasure Map!

/they are going for 15k on marketplace

Last edited:

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Oh snap. We raid people over there. What clan did you join up with?? :ninja:

Some little group called Man Made Gods, in the Who Cares alliance. First people that asked me :). So far I haven't seen any of them, and they rarely even talk in chat. But at least it gave me a reason to get out of Amurran.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
Aye, you and I shall probably meet on the battlefield :p

They're probably all on vent/ts/mumble.

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Have to figure out swimming. Jumped in a river last night trying to make it to the next capital to the east, and almost drowned. Fortunately was able to sort of walk up out of the water before that happened.

But two minutes later I got spotted by a plate-wearing troglodyte on a death pig who beat me into paste. All I had on me was 12g and my almost worn-out studded. I let him get too close before I realized I was now strong enough to do some damage (110 dex, 10k prow). Next time I attack on sight.

I realized last night that the game doesn't have any local "say" channel, and doesn't have any emotes, so pretty much all you can do in the lawless areas is attack. Who is going to wait to find out whether you're an enemy or not. As fun as it is the holes in this product are everywhere. I do hope they get some of this crap in relatively soon.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Have to figure out swimming. Jumped in a river last night trying to make it to the next capital to the east, and almost drowned. Fortunately was able to sort of walk up out of the water before that happened.

But two minutes later I got spotted by a plate-wearing troglodyte on a death pig who beat me into paste. All I had on me was 12g and my almost worn-out studded. I let him get too close before I realized I was now strong enough to do some damage (110 dex, 10k prow). Next time I attack on sight.

I realized last night that the game doesn't have any local "say" channel, and doesn't have any emotes, so pretty much all you can do in the lawless areas is attack. Who is going to wait to find out whether you're an enemy or not. As fun as it is the holes in this product are everywhere. I do hope they get some of this crap in relatively soon.

When swimming it's C to dive and space bar to go up

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Post in the DF forums? Ask in global chat? Look through the guild-finder in game and see who's recruiting and apply? Talk to clan leaders shown in the guild-finder? A lot of these players are DF1 players running in the same clans.

You're not trying hard enough. :p

Crafting time and the gold cost are reduced in clan-owned cities. It's really expensive to craft in safe zones. It's the penalty for being a pussy. ;) Durability is also increased when crafting at clan-owned cities.

I don't like to try :). I have to do that in real life everyday. In these games I just play and let things happen. I'm mostly about exploring, anyway, and I love large scale pvp warfare. I'm not really into the 1-on-1 getting jumped by a murderer in the wild thing, but what I do like is that it puts that heart-pumping element of danger back into a genre that hasn't had it since UO, AC, DAoC, or EQ.

I do think the lack of local chat (what they call "chat bubbles" on the forums, where most posters are apparently 14) and any form of emoting is a real shame. Without that player-to-player interaction in the wild can really only take the form of combat. Who is going to take the time to try to whisper an approaching potential enemy when they probable aren't going to see it in the stupid chat system anyway?

What would be neat would be a local voice system like Planetside 2. Imagine the possibilities of that in the wild :). "No! Please! Don't kill me! I'll pay you!" Lol.

As far as crafting, it makes no sense at all to have to pay gold to craft in any form. Just reeks of a sink used to stabilize an unbalanced system. Having to pay to salvage is even sillier. But whatever, doesn't really detract that much from what is good about the game.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
This is a game of crafting and battling. You battle and lose your stuff (or gain someone else's stuff), then you go craft more combat sets.

It's great to have PVP bags ready to go. You die, you respawn, you hit the bank and grab a pre-made bag. From the bag, you put on all your armor and weapons and you're ready to go. When you die, everything that was donned from a bag goes back into that bag. It helps friendlies grab all your stuff if you're killed in a big fight. Helps you get your stuff back if your bag is named.

Anyhow, screw the chat system. If you crouch twice (or, repeatedly, really), it's a server-wide accepted submit. Sometimes two players will meet in a danger zone, neither one wanting combat, and can peacefully signal each other quickly that they're not interested in fighting.

Careful, though, a predator will take that as a sign of weakness (or that you're carrying treasure maps or something valuable) and go for you immediately.

It's safe to assume that everyone who isn't tagged friendly is going to be hostile in the danger zones.

If you have 110 dex, throw on that spiked armor set and the veilron bow and engage them. Land your shots, run away, land more shots, run away, etc. If you're a skirm, use dash and evade as often as possible.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
OTG allied with Absolution, finally. :) This means the northern danger zone instance can be used often! There are tons of metal mines there (like 17 before you even get into the instance)!

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Anyhow, screw the chat system. If you crouch twice (or, repeatedly, really), it's a server-wide accepted submit. Sometimes two players will meet in a danger zone, neither one wanting combat, and can peacefully signal each other quickly that they're not interested in fighting.

Cool, I had no idea. I'd still rather have a chat system, though.

I have enough dex for that bow, but I think I still need 10 str.