Anyone playing the new Darkfall?

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
Last edited:

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I did briefly, but frankly my MMO will had burnt out by the time it came out in April/May when I was ready for it in December.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
initial launch was exciting, my internet is not fast enough to bother

/initial release was flawed by bugs/hacks but one of my favourite mmo's ever

Last edited:

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I heard its an open sand box type game something like UO and in PvP and when you die you do lose things. People can loot you. Entering in battle puts you in first person view. That alone would probably turn me off. I like being able to chose my view in combat. Typical MMO in the fact you pay a one time price for the game and then a monthly fee.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
I heard its an open sand box type game something like UO and in PvP and when you die you do lose things. People can loot you. Entering in battle puts you in first person view. That alone would probably turn me off. I like being able to chose my view in combat. Typical MMO in the fact you pay a one time price for the game and then a monthly fee.

This is correct except for 1st person view. I play in 3rd person.

I'll likely buy the game tomorrow. Can't wait to start up a mage again. It was really fun.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Anyone from shadowbane playing this? How buggy is it? I dont want to get into another bugfest game.... but 100v100 sieges are fun.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I didn't think it was that buggy (this time), and I've played intermittently since the first beta. The bigger issue is can you put up with the resource gathering grind? Granted, everything about the grind is infinitely better than it used to be, but I keep getting older and my grind tolerance keeps going down exponentially.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I didn't think it was that buggy (this time), and I've played intermittently since the first beta. The bigger issue is can you put up with the resource gathering grind? Granted, everything about the grind is infinitely better than it used to be, but I keep getting older and my grind tolerance keeps going down exponentially.

Resource gathering was much improved in the newest release, within no time i had multiple steed grass

/gonna give it another try

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
It's $20 on Steam so I'll be picking this up in the morning.

Are skills still done the same way as the old version of the game? As in, no class-restrictions on skill choices and no player levels? Just straight up skill mastery through usage?

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I believe it's skill mastery through usage but the rate that you gain is much quicker than initial release.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
As long as you can go kill people while they are farming, and they can kill you while you are farming, the grind is ok. But to spend hours grinding away in an area where there is no risk? Please tell me thats not in this game.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
As long as you can go kill people while they are farming, and they can kill you while you are farming, the grind is ok. But to spend hours grinding away in an area where there is no risk? Please tell me thats not in this game.

Depends on how populated the area is and if they have radar installed

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
Depends on how populated the area is and if they have radar installed

Apparently AV is catching hackers left and right and posting their bans publicly. Using one of these isn't a good idea. They're *not* impossible to detect.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
So far the game has been great. Took some time to farm up 1k prestige in a simple dungeon, got pretty good at the melee aspect of the game and am pretty meh at ranged. Spent some P in boosts, made some armor and weapons for me and a friend, went bounding around the country side at 4am eastern.

We found ONE GUY 3 hours later who was across a valley with a body of water in between. We tried sniping him with magic and arrows but he quit fishing and mounted immediately to escape. We gave chase for a few minutes but he disappeared.

About an hour later, we found a tombstone and I was able to take a mage's stash of reagents.

About an hour after that, we were over run by some 18kp player who apologized for the death blow, seeing that I only had about 1700p at the time.

Overall, the community seems pretty good for having spent the day immersed. I hope to find more people in danger areas during peak times later this week and into the weekend.

RAWR COME AND GET ME

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Apparently AV is catching hackers left and right and posting their bans publicly. Using one of these isn't a good idea. They're *not* impossible to detect.

Only way they catch people is when they do something stupid...i've seen people stealing those huge boats and just flying them away, people attacking a siege stone while under the terain, people teleporting, people duping etc

/mind you this was all in the original release

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
Only way they catch people is when they do something stupid...i've seen people stealing those huge boats and just flying them away, people attacking a siege stone while under the terain, people teleporting, people duping etc

/mind you this was all in the original release

AV is making a concerted effort to find and ban hackers in this version because of the previous version.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
The Steam Forum isn't very kind to it. I like the idea of it being full loot, PvP, live with your consequences style gameplay, but apparently the interface is garbage.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
No, it isn't. It's actually really complicated and organized in a great way to manage that complexity.

People who bitch about the darkfall GUI are people who do not have the mental capacity to tie their shoes without drooling on themselves.

Edit: the GUI and learning curve are akin to the same aspects of EVE. If you're an idiot and you have no one to concisely guide you through, it'll take you a while to figure it out. If you're intelligent, you'll get it soon enough. If you're intelligent AND you have someone to concisely guide you through, you'll have the GUI mastered in no time flat.

Last edited:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
No, it isn't. It's actually really complicated and organized in a great way to manage that complexity.

People who bitch about the darkfall GUI are people who do not have the mental capacity to tie their shoes without drooling on themselves.

Edit: the GUI and learning curve are akin to the same aspects of EVE. If you're an idiot and you have no one to concisely guide you through, it'll take you a while to figure it out. If you're intelligent, you'll get it soon enough. If you're intelligent AND you have someone to concisely guide you through, you'll have the GUI mastered in no time flat.

Sounds like it's not for me then. I could never get into EVE (too complicated.) Also I still don't understand the Steam trading card system, so there's a pretty good chance that I'm an idiot.

I really loved Ultima Online and Vanguard though. Being able to forge your own world and make your own way is cool.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
full loot, pvp nearly anywhere, no pre-set factions, seemingly gradual curve for equipment upgrades all very cool and make me try the game out.

But what I didn't like:

-It's essentially an fps with some terrible physics, your character skills don't really do anything to increase your chance to hit for example, it's all about jumping around in circles trying to stay behind your enemy. Stupid and unrealistic, and not what I want to play.

-The prowess system is cool in concept, but ultimately it's just a huge massive grind that removes ALL decision from character creation, because eventually everyone can master everything. I greatly prefer systems that force you to make decisions, for the gold standard see shadowbane's character creation system, classes, professions, disciplines, etc. It was nearly perfect. For a modern good example see path of exile, another great system that forces you to decide what you want to be good at. Any system that lets you master everything over time simply rewards those who played the longest and offers zero benefits to the new guy who discovered a cool new build idea.

Rebuild darkfall with a UI like WoW with tabbed targeting, and replace the prowess system with a passive skill tree and skill gem system like in path of exile, and I'd pay $20/month to play.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
The Steam Forum isn't very kind to it. I like the idea of it being full loot, PvP, live with your consequences style gameplay, but apparently the interface is garbage.

I put 15 hours into it this weekend after getting it on the steam sale ... I like it so far, pretty neat game still...I played DF1 a bit. I found a guild who's apparently the oldest and most badass. I joined up and they were on a fishing expedition and another clan raided our clan city, so they had to get off and kick their asses... guess they only lost the front gates? I haven't been to a clan city so I don't know what it looks like haha.

I was in TS and apparently there might have been someone who was in that overheard the fishing idea so they told their clan they should try to take down the city...pretty fun stuff to overhear, can't wait to get involved!

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I grabbed it from the Steam sale, and planning to try it out tonight. Other than the fps combat mechanic it sounds like my type of game. And the mechanic itself might be fine, just keeping an open mind on it until I try it out.

I recently put about a week into Rift, which was my first mmo in a long time. It's a nicely-polished game, but there are a lot of things I didn't like about it, including the tightly packaged zones and mobs literally everywhere. Very much like Warhammer in that regard. Meh.