Anyone playing the new Darkfall?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
I forgot to post an update.

That. Was. Awesome.

There were easily 200, more likely 300 players among both offense and defense.

The morons who dropped the siege stones put one on one island that had zero protection from the water in any direction. The 2nd stone was on an adjacent island with a hill protecting it from the west, but completely open to attack from the sea in every other direction. What did we do? We grabbed our powder and set sail in about nine Launch boats (single cannon up front) to nail the siege stones from the sea. :awe: The attackers had a ridiculously large force protecting the stones but we sailed up in force out of range of the land, then crept up carefully to easily take down the first stone practically unopposed. Meanwhile, another very large force belonging to the defenders rode out on some ships whose view was covered by the island hill and deposited themselves secretly on the bank down the back side of said hill.

While destroying the first stone, a large portion of their forces hit the water (probably 40) swimming toward the boats but all of the boats had warriors to repel boarders and skirms to plink away at the swimmers before they got to the boats so it was pretty easy to keep the swimmers busy before the stone died. However, right before the 1st stone went down, all the swimmers who hadn't been killed all turned in unison and started swimming away. :hmm:

Next thing we see is two Schooners (three guns fore, three guns aft) being spawned by the attackers and the swimmers boarding the schooners and manning the guns D: We all switched targets from stones to enemy schooners but lost two or three Launches from heavy Schooner fire and a few sneaky swimmers who boarded to steal the boat. By that time, our ground force had raced over/around the hill and pushed through enemy lines so several of them were able to hit the water and race for the schooners. With Launches combining firepower, we took down one of the schooners while the ground force boarded the other schooner, repelled the crew into the water, and was able to despawn the boat (effectively stealing it).

The Launches returned to firing at the last remaining siege stone while a ground battle raged all over the small-hilled island. The loss of the attackers' boats drove them into a frenzy with the original swimming group splitting between the ground battle and hitting the swim again, back out toward our Launches. One of the boats lost during the sea battle was mine and our team leader ganked (incap under water = instant gank), so I hit the water and bee lined for shore.

The ground battle was fucking chaotic. There were seemingly BILLIONS of players EVERYWHERE as far as you could see. :D I was able to drop a few salvos and explosive shots into grouped targets of opportunity to drop several of the opposition. I got incapacitated a few times, but luckily there were allies fighting near who were able to pick me back up. I picked up other allies and I ran across several enemies who were incapped and was able to gank them.

Several minutes into the ground fight, an alliance member stepped up to start calling shots and group direction in place of our dead leadership -this worked out GREAT. OTG moved to the NE corner of the island after figuring out where the enemy was bound to so we knew where their reinforcements and respawns would be coming from. We were able to hold the NE corner, wiping out two waves of reinforcements who weren't expecting to get jumped this far from the battle. :biggrin: The main battle force was keeping ground opposition busy enough for the remaining Launch boats to take down the 2nd siege stone quickly.

We managed to make a push NE while wave after wave of their respawns kept smashing into us until they realized that they could ride in from the N or the E directly which would avoid OTG's NE defense wall. Once they realized that, we couldn't go both directions without splitting our force into two pointlessly small forces, so we said fuck it and rushed their respawn point, a chaos bank not far from our position. On the ride there, we noticed that two groups had flanked us and instead of pushing on toward the main ground battle at the island, had joined forces and were heading right up our rear. They caught up to us about the same time that we arrived at the bank to find a MUCH greater force gearing up at the bank than we had anticipated. Apparently the main battle force back at the remaining siege stone had done such a good job of ganking that it sent probably 60 people back to respawn, which is what we rolled up on. Then, cutting off our retreat, were the two groups who'd followed us for revenge.

Well, it worked, and we got smashed like the cheese on a sammich, but by that time the 2nd siege stone was down, most of the opposing ground force was crushed and ganked or were fleeing, and we had won the war.

It was a GREAT battle, probably the most fun I've had in this game.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
You don't use high end swords in PVE, really. R50 and higher I wouldn't consider using in PVE unless I was in a big group and had a very good chance to survive an ambush.

Weapons and armor in this game are intended to be considered disposable.

Yeah I am beginning to see the strategy, and I actually like it. I hate gear-focused play, so this is refreshing. My current strategy is to be able to make everything I need, but gold is starting to come in faster, and purchasing might be viable too.

Another thing... was there a patch over the weekend? I ask because for the third time my booster got disabled, and I didn't realize it until I'd spent an hour killing goblins with much lower dex. I thought the lowered damage was due to my using a less capable weapon.

I also noticed last night that two gobbies dropped over 120g. The most I had seen previously was about 50-ish. Does the game scale up gold rewards as you level, or did I just get really lucky with the rng?

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
This concept of leveling in a competitive environment is quite distasteful.

Perhaps if the power curve were based solely on in-game wealth, and not merely an artifact of in-game time. I mean, if everyone were statistical equals aside from fortunes spent to temporally grant boosts.

Would make much more sense to me than the classic RPG tropes of spending weeks grinding away just to reach a max level. As it is it sounds like it takes new players and slams them onto a treadmill. That maybe at the end of this grind they finally get to experience the competitive game for what it is.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
This concept of leveling in a competitive environment is quite distasteful.

Perhaps if the power curve were based solely on in-game wealth, and not merely an artifact of in-game time. I mean, if everyone were statistical equals aside from fortunes spent to temporally grant boosts.

Would make much more sense to me than the classic RPG tropes of spending weeks grinding away just to reach a max level. As it is it sounds like it takes new players and slams them onto a treadmill. That maybe at the end of this grind they finally get to experience the competitive game for what it is.

The game is still being built. There is no real PVE (questing) content yet, but it's coming.

This is a game built around and centered around PVP.

I was PVPing in groups of players with 100k prowess while I had only 13k. I got kills and ganks.

You don't have to wear the best gear to be viable in PVP. You just have to be smart.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
Yeah I am beginning to see the strategy, and I actually like it. I hate gear-focused play, so this is refreshing. My current strategy is to be able to make everything I need, but gold is starting to come in faster, and purchasing might be viable too.

Another thing... was there a patch over the weekend? I ask because for the third time my booster got disabled, and I didn't realize it until I'd spent an hour killing goblins with much lower dex. I thought the lowered damage was due to my using a less capable weapon.

I also noticed last night that two gobbies dropped over 120g. The most I had seen previously was about 50-ish. Does the game scale up gold rewards as you level, or did I just get really lucky with the rng?

Yes, there was a big patch this morning when server restarted.

Here are patch notes: http://www.darkfallonline.com/news/patch-notes-august-12

2 new ships
2 sea towers with big payouts

buncha other stuff

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Got a question about chat... is there a way (keypress) that will activate chat so you can type in it without escaping into GUI mode? Are there slash commands to enter text into any of the available channels? Is there an equivalent of /say (i.e. speak locally only)?

I find the chat system clumsy, but I'm hoping that's because I haven't figured it out yet :).

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I forgot to post an update.

That. Was. Awesome.

There were easily 200, more likely 300 players among both offense and defense.

The morons who dropped the siege stones put one on one island that had zero protection from the water in any direction. The 2nd stone was on an adjacent island with a hill protecting it from the west, but completely open to attack from the sea in every other direction. What did we do? We grabbed our powder and set sail in about nine Launch boats (single cannon up front) to nail the siege stones from the sea. :awe: The attackers had a ridiculously large force protecting the stones but we sailed up in force out of range of the land, then crept up carefully to easily take down the first stone practically unopposed. Meanwhile, another very large force belonging to the defenders rode out on some ships whose view was covered by the island hill and deposited themselves secretly on the bank down the back side of said hill.

While destroying the first stone, a large portion of their forces hit the water (probably 40) swimming toward the boats but all of the boats had warriors to repel boarders and skirms to plink away at the swimmers before they got to the boats so it was pretty easy to keep the swimmers busy before the stone died. However, right before the 1st stone went down, all the swimmers who hadn't been killed all turned in unison and started swimming away. :hmm:

Next thing we see is two Schooners (three guns fore, three guns aft) being spawned by the attackers and the swimmers boarding the schooners and manning the guns D: We all switched targets from stones to enemy schooners but lost two or three Launches from heavy Schooner fire and a few sneaky swimmers who boarded to steal the boat. By that time, our ground force had raced over/around the hill and pushed through enemy lines so several of them were able to hit the water and race for the schooners. With Launches combining firepower, we took down one of the schooners while the ground force boarded the other schooner, repelled the crew into the water, and was able to despawn the boat (effectively stealing it).

The Launches returned to firing at the last remaining siege stone while a ground battle raged all over the small-hilled island. The loss of the attackers' boats drove them into a frenzy with the original swimming group splitting between the ground battle and hitting the swim again, back out toward our Launches. One of the boats lost during the sea battle was mine and our team leader ganked (incap under water = instant gank), so I hit the water and bee lined for shore.

The ground battle was fucking chaotic. There were seemingly BILLIONS of players EVERYWHERE as far as you could see. :D I was able to drop a few salvos and explosive shots into grouped targets of opportunity to drop several of the opposition. I got incapacitated a few times, but luckily there were allies fighting near who were able to pick me back up. I picked up other allies and I ran across several enemies who were incapped and was able to gank them.

Several minutes into the ground fight, an alliance member stepped up to start calling shots and group direction in place of our dead leadership -this worked out GREAT. OTG moved to the NE corner of the island after figuring out where the enemy was bound to so we knew where their reinforcements and respawns would be coming from. We were able to hold the NE corner, wiping out two waves of reinforcements who weren't expecting to get jumped this far from the battle. :biggrin: The main battle force was keeping ground opposition busy enough for the remaining Launch boats to take down the 2nd siege stone quickly.

We managed to make a push NE while wave after wave of their respawns kept smashing into us until they realized that they could ride in from the N or the E directly which would avoid OTG's NE defense wall. Once they realized that, we couldn't go both directions without splitting our force into two pointlessly small forces, so we said fuck it and rushed their respawn point, a chaos bank not far from our position. On the ride there, we noticed that two groups had flanked us and instead of pushing on toward the main ground battle at the island, had joined forces and were heading right up our rear. They caught up to us about the same time that we arrived at the bank to find a MUCH greater force gearing up at the bank than we had anticipated. Apparently the main battle force back at the remaining siege stone had done such a good job of ganking that it sent probably 60 people back to respawn, which is what we rolled up on. Then, cutting off our retreat, were the two groups who'd followed us for revenge.

Well, it worked, and we got smashed like the cheese on a sammich, but by that time the 2nd siege stone was down, most of the opposing ground force was crushed and ganked or were fleeing, and we had won the war.

It was a GREAT battle, probably the most fun I've had in this game.

Stories like this are why i like the game and is what makes the game great, but it certainly takes some effort to start to become competitive. Tiquiya was our first city in DF1 Euro, that was horrible to defend, i think we were the first clan to lose our built up city.

Last edited:

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
I'm not sure if it's built the same way as it was in DF1, but Tiquiya is basically Kvitstein 2.0 and we currently own Kvitstein. It's a pain in the ass to defend, but still much easier to defend than, say Zaguroth to our southeast.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I like how they have made boats a bigger part of the game, they were so hard to create in DF1 because astrolabes were hard to get.

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Playing harvestfall and featsfall tonight :). Is there any kind of camp/node ethic in this game? I can't bring myself to bust in on someone else's camp or node, just because of all the time I spent in other games I guess. But people have no problem doing it to me, even running in and looting the kills I've made while I am fighting.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Playing harvestfall and featsfall tonight :). Is there any kind of camp/node ethic in this game? I can't bring myself to bust in on someone else's camp or node, just because of all the time I spent in other games I guess. But people have no problem doing it to me, even running in and looting the kills I've made while I am fighting.

I don't think it matters in the safe zones, in the other zones they will kill you anyways or try to.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013

Survival of the strongest. :awe:

Fight for your node or your spawn.

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Survival of the strongest. :awe:

Fight for your node or your spawn.

Ok, I get it. So in the safe zone that just means every man for himself, because there isn't anything you can do about it.

On another note, learned to rage mobs last night. That was fun. Tried it on skellies near Whitecliff first, because they can't hurt me much. They mostly seemed to rage within a minute, and probably 2 of 3 dropped 50g. Because it takes longer to rage I am not actually sure I made more money than I do just rampaging through the place looting everything, but I imagine the reward might scale up with mobs outside the safe zone.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Small Treasure maps, does fishing in safe zones give you a chance of getting one?

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I've cleared over 13 'safe' fishing nodes with 0 treasure maps, must be the safe zone, over 3.5k cod/bass

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
I wonder if you can take a scraper out to the wolflands and scrape the little lakes there lol.