Anyone exctied about Empire: Total War???

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
I am just returning to PC gaming after a few years of just consoles. I really miss RTS games and I am very excited about this one!

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
Ballpark figure, I'd say a nice 2.4ghz core 2 duo, a HD4850/9800GTX+ and 4gb of ram. This should do for medium/high settings at 1680*1050.

About the game, the gameplay footage from the navy battle looked awesome. Here's a few things though, when you enter another ship, and capture it, I think you should be heavily rewarded, and capture the cargo or something. Ships were by no means cheap by then, gaining another ship should actually 'mean' something. Glad to see the Dutch are represented, judging from the first campaign screenshot. I hope the 'regular' battles are better then they used to be as well, more intuitive, with units not moving as akward as they used to, and AI being a bit better. I also hope that cavalry is really powerfull, scarce, yet powerfull, so if you get to flank some musketeers, you utterly destroy them. I also hope that artillery plays a somewhat bigger role in battles, because in the old TW series artillery was never much good, if any at all.

Great suggestions, I like them, but I think CA recognizes the issue with artillery and will amend that automatically. As for the cavalry, I think cavalry should be rare-ish, but I can't completely agree, because even Britain had a sizable force of horsemen.

Azndude2190

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2005
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
Ballpark figure, I'd say a nice 2.4ghz core 2 duo, a HD4850/9800GTX+ and 4gb of ram. This should do for medium/high settings at 1680*1050.

About the game, the gameplay footage from the navy battle looked awesome. Here's a few things though, when you enter another ship, and capture it, I think you should be heavily rewarded, and capture the cargo or something. Ships were by no means cheap by then, gaining another ship should actually 'mean' something. Glad to see the Dutch are represented, judging from the first campaign screenshot. I hope the 'regular' battles are better then they used to be as well, more intuitive, with units not moving as akward as they used to, and AI being a bit better. I also hope that cavalry is really powerfull, scarce, yet powerfull, so if you get to flank some musketeers, you utterly destroy them. I also hope that artillery plays a somewhat bigger role in battles, because in the old TW series artillery was never much good, if any at all.

I was thinking more on the lines of an e8400/HD 4850/2GB RAM for my upgrade.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
TehMac, my history leaves me lacking, I have no clue how much cavalry the Britisch could field in the 1700's. Here's some interesting stuff from wikipedia :p

"By the start of the eighteenth century, the cavalry establishment had been divided into household and line units. The household establishment consisted of four troops of Horse Guards and two of Horse Grenadier Guards, while the regular establishment was composed of nine regiments of Horse and eight of Dragoons.[2] The "horse" regiments would in theory fight mounted as cavalry, while dragoons were originally mounted infantry - they would fight dismounted, but were provided with horses for swift movement. By the middle of the century, the term had come simply to mean light cavalry.

Regiments were, at this time, known by semi-permanent nicknames or by the names of their colonels; in 1751, in an attempt to reduce confusion, regiments were assigned numbers in order of their seniority. The cavalry regiments of the line were numbered in three separate sequences; 1st through 4th Horse, then 1st through 3rd Dragoon Guards, then 1st through 14th Dragoons. "Dragoon Guards" was a new title, and did not denote a Guards' role; it was adopted by the three senior horse regiments in 1746, when George III reduced them to the status of dragoons in order to save money.

The first "light horse" regiment was raised in 1745, for service in the Second Jacobite rising, and proved so successful that light troops were added to most cavalry regiments in 1755. In 1759, five complete regiments (the 15th to 19th) of Light Dragoons were formed, and the distinction was made between the light cavalry (Light Dragoon regiments) and the heavy cavalry (Dragoon and Dragoon Guard regiments). Henceforth, all newly raised regiments of cavalry would be denoted Light Dragoons.[3] By 1783, the 7th to 14th Dragoons had become the 7th to 14th Light Dragoons, changing from heavy to light roles.

The various troops of Horse Guards and Horse Grenadier Guards were regimented in 1788, forming the 1st Regiment of Life Guards and 2nd Regiment of Life Guards; together with the Royal Regiment of Horse Guards they formed the Household Cavalry. The same year, the remaining four Horse regiments were retitled as the 4th through 7th Dragoon Guards."

@ azndude, I'd aim for 4gb of ram, but otherwise you're looking just fine, it should run Empire: Total War pretty well.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
I promised myself I'd stop playing games, and I did.. (sort of) Because I cant miss out of Empire: Total War, STALKER Clear Sky, and Diablo 3. That would be against my "religion". lol

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Personally, I'm kinda over games. School is taking over a bit, and I have a gf now, so I don't really spend all that much time on games. But ETW will be on my "to get" list.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Here's an interview from Gamesreactor:
http://www.gamereactor.eu/text.php?id=151

And a preview from Eurogamer:
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=242108

What we can expect:
French troops speak French; regardless of language you set the game on, troops will speak in their native tongue.

The campaign map is one map, but it is divided by theaters for "quick scrolling"
You can scroll through the whole thing, but you can also just quickly click a button, and you're in a different theater.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
O M F G

Land Battle Trailer

Looks amazing. Only minor complaint is the lack of volume. By the looks of it, engagements will only be colonial-size (couple thousand), not European Theatre (tens of thousands). Not a real surprise, would have been nice though.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
The Land battles look absolutely stellar indeed, the animations are amazing, and the elephants at the end blew me away.

However, CA said that we could expect battles in which there are more than 10,000 units on screen, as opposed to under, by previous Total War standards.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Imp
O M F G

Land Battle Trailer

Looks amazing. Only minor complaint is the lack of volume. By the looks of it, engagements will only be colonial-size (couple thousand), not European Theatre (tens of thousands). Not a real surprise, would have been nice though.

This could also be that putting more units on screen would bring even a powerful video card down. ;)

Looks cool though, can't wait until February.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
It could be that CA was only playing with the unit card levels set on "medium" in order to let their footage run better, or something along those lines.

They did say battles above 10,000 were possible.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
This game looks like it will end my life. CA has really done a good job also listening to their fan base. I've read a lot over at their forums of what gamers wanted to see in future installments, and it looked like CA granted their wishes. I honestly don't think there could be a more dedicated developer than CA.

aclim

Oct 6, 2006
wow, I never played any of the older games in this series. But I must say wow, this game looks unreal. I am definitely going to buy this when it comes out. That vid posted above sold me on it. Sounds like a game that I can spend too much time on... heh

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Yeah, the game looks absolutely brilliant, and while it sounds absurd to say this, I am very curious to see where they will go with this amazing engine they've made, after Empire and it's inevitable expack.

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
Originally posted by: TehMac
Yeah, the game looks absolutely brilliant, and while it sounds absurd to say this, I am very curious to see where they will go with this amazing engine they've made, after Empire and it's inevitable expack.

(Rome 2)

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: acheron

(Rome 2)

Not as an expansion though.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: Regs
Originally posted by: acheron

(Rome 2)

Not as an expansion though.

No, obviously not, but I don't know if it will be Rome 2. Maybe Shogun2 or China:Total War or something.

Maybe the ancient world before Rome, or something of that nature.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Your guess is as good as mine.

Now after looking at the campaign maps, doesn't it look a little dissolute? I know the world map is huge, but the cotenants look like they are devoid about half of their famous cities.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Regs
Your guess is as good as mine.

Now after looking at the campaign maps, doesn't it look a little dissolute? I know the world map is huge, but the cotenants look like they are devoid about half of their famous cities.

I didn't see all that much in the trailer except what I think is Cuba. While I loved the Kingdoms expansion's 'zooming in' of the region, I prefer a smaller number of cities so it doesn't become too congested. On the other hand, if they made the game like Kingdoms with fully zoomable regions, then it would be so much more realistic, and more difficult to conquer the world in 100 turns.

The ability to capture resources sounds interesting. I don't know if that would actually do anything other than cut off some money though.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Yeah, I noticed how a lot of cities were removed, but I think the emphasis is more in resources in territories, and controlling certain areas, as opposed to cities being the main focus.

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
I'm not going through 7 pages of threads, but it looks like land armies can fight sea based navies.

Cool.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: tigersty1e
I'm not going through 7 pages of threads, but it looks like land armies can fight sea based navies.

Cool.

That would be crazy... I hope it's limited to support like calling in some half-assed/useless/inaccurate artillery to mess with a coastal fort.