Anyone exctied about Empire: Total War???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I haven't played a total war game since Rome (which I loved), and haven't been keeping track of the latest titles. Is this a new Total War game set in revolutionary times? If so, WOOOO HOOOO (and finally an excuse to upgrade my gaming rig again)

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I own them all and have loved them dearly and Napoleonic warfare is probably my fav, that being said gunpowder implementation in the TW games has been atrocious, so I'm cautiously optimistic but I'm prepared for an epic fail as sad as that would be.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
I'll probably get it, but I end up getting bored with these games and the repetitive battles.

MraK

Oct 12, 2003
Originally posted by: QuantumPion
I haven't played a total war game since Rome (which I loved), and haven't been keeping track of the latest titles. Is this a new Total War game set in revolutionary times? If so, WOOOO HOOOO (and finally an excuse to upgrade my gaming rig again)

Yes this is a new Total War game coming out sometime in October or November and i agree with you too its time for me to upgrade too. This is going to be a great game

MraK

Oct 12, 2003
Originally posted by: TallBill
I'll probably get it, but I end up getting bored with these games and the repetitive battles.

its only repetitive if you only play by yourself. but online play or lan play, its totally a different story all together

MraK

Oct 12, 2003
Originally posted by: ayabe
I own them all and have loved them dearly and Napoleonic warfare is probably my fav, that being said gunpowder implementation in the TW games has been atrocious, so I'm cautiously optimistic but I'm prepared for an epic fail as sad as that would be.

As a failure it would be *who knows* it cant get any worse than TW's previous titles, its just very interesting how well Creative will tackle gunpowder implentation, makes me wonder how well they will make it like,when watching civil war/revolutionary war movies and how the armies clash, yea it may look boring just marching then stopping in one spot and firing away, but i pretty much believe Creative will do something to up the action when it comes to that.

Heck they may add Northamerican indians, since they played a part in the revolutionary war, now aleast this kind of army will have alot of melee units, so just expect to see alot of melee battles and gun battles alike.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006

The battles now should be less repetitive because the soldiers actually interact with the landscape; they're able to take cover behind hedges and such, so it's a much more integrated system. Also, the battle map corresponds to the campaign more accurately, so you should be getting less repetitive battles.

Also, the TW campaign now has a tech tree implemented a la Civilization's, so that should be more engaging as well.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: MrAK
Originally posted by: ayabe

As a failure it would be *who knows* it cant get any worse than TW's previous titles, its just very interesting how well Creative will tackle gunpowder implentation, makes me wonder how well they will make it like,when watching civil war/revolutionary war movies and how the armies clash, yea it may look boring just marching then stopping in one spot and firing away, but i pretty much believe Creative will do something to up the action when it comes to that.

Heck they may add Northamerican indians, since they played a part in the revolutionary war, now aleast this kind of army will have alot of melee units, so just expect to see alot of melee battles and gun battles alike.

CA has stated there will be 50 factions. 10 factions are playable...or around 10. That's what they have said, maybe a little more, I think/hope a little more.

Its not known if there will be 60 factions total, or just 40 (depends if those 10 playable are included in that "50 Factions" feature.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: TehMac

The battles now should be less repetitive because the soldiers actually interact with the landscape; they're able to take cover behind hedges and such, so it's a much more integrated system. Also, the battle map corresponds to the campaign more accurately, so you should be getting less repetitive battles.

Also, the TW campaign now has a tech tree implemented a la Civilization's, so that should be more engaging as well.

Well, like I said... I'll probably try it at some point :)

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Yes, excited. It looks to be the thing that'll finally make me upgrade from my opteron 165, ati 1800xt and 2gb pc3200. I think I'll miss the ubre melee units though.

Yes, my 24" 1920x1200 monitor really punishes me with the newer stuff. :(

MraK

Oct 12, 2003
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
I think I'll miss the ubre melee units though.
:(

Seeing how this TW game is during the late 1500s (my guess) straight through into the early 1800s (another guess) although gun powder was in, after all the men had used up all their ammo in a fire fight, its melee all the way and in replacement of heavily armored units would most likely be units who excel in the absence of armor, since during this time armor was less likely a benefit and more of a hindrance. I have a good feeling this game will still have "ubre" melee units.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001

Seeing how this TW game is during the late 1500s (my guess) straight through into the early 1800s (another guess) although gun powder was in, after all the men had used up all their ammo in a fire fight, its melee all the way and in replacement of heavily armored units would most likely be units who excel in the absence of armor, since during this time armor was less likely a benefit and more of a hindrance. I have a good feeling this game will still have "ubre" melee units.

Typo for uber and you know it. :p

Yea, the time period also still has the good ole' calvary charge, so all should be well. Really looking forward to the sea battles as well.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I'm a pretty big fan of these games, I just don't know if I care for the time period as much as Medieval TW

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006

It starts ~1700, ends 1820's. I wish it was in the 1500's, that would be truly epic. They chose 1700s because thats when gunpowder was in full swing, and so they wanted to effectively integrate that tech into the game, while leaving the player to research more comprehensive techs from there.

GameRGeeK

Jun 4, 2008
it done good this game maybe the best strategy game of the year, I for one am also hoping for greatness when this game comes out. I'm not so keen with eras, but what do you mean by epic if it took place in the 1500's from the beginning of the campaign, TehMac?

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Because in the 1500's you had privateers like Francis Drake and Walter Raleigh, you had the Spanish dominating the Caribean, the French trying to colonize Florida, all this action. Massive wars in the 17th century, etc.

It would also be epic because it would span from ~1500-1800 which is around 300 years. ;)

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Yeah really. What's cool is that this shot looks like somewhere between 1820-1830, so it shows they're going to be going into the 19th century.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Hell yeah, although my 2006 laptop (my only computer) probably won't be able to run it decently (had problems with Medieval II). Guess I'll have to stick of CoH and RTW for the time being :) I also found C&C3 to be pretty fun (albeit not too strategic), especially the commandos. :)

Only issue with RTW is that it gets kinda repetitive after 20 turns of fighting the same nation. :p

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: irishScott
Hell yeah, although my 2006 laptop (my only computer) probably won't be able to run it decently

Start prepping for it, it comes out Q1 in 2009, you have opportunities to scour for comp parts, the 4870s should be really cheap, if not nVidia cards, and Intel is coming out with some new processors, AMD is too, but those should be merely decent.

See what you can do, I want you to enjoy this game in its full glory!! :|

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Hell yeah, although my 2006 laptop (my only computer) probably won't be able to run it decently

Start prepping for it, it comes out Q1 in 2009, you have opportunities to scour for comp parts, the 4870s should be really cheap, if not nVidia cards, and Intel is coming out with some new processors, AMD is too, but those should be merely decent.

So do I, but I'm saving up to build a Ferrari of a rig when I graduate (from college), and that's still 3-4 years out (double major, I'm a sophomore). Plus Windows 7 should be out by then (hopefully an improvement over Vista), and better hardware by far. At which point I will go on a 6 month gaming hermitage and play everything that I've missed. :)

Then again, suppose I could just make a "good" rig now and upgrade to max when I graduate... oooohhh.. temptation.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
yeah, just make a good rig, the 4870 will definitely help you along. Or, two 200 dollar Crossfire 4850s which is almost as good as one GTX 280. :D

MraK

Oct 12, 2003

If I read it right, you stated that the game will be out Q1 in 2009? I thought the release date was November 2008, correct me if I'm wrong.

Another thing came to mind, would the game, basing on what it may require of a computer, run pretty ok on a laptop like this? ASUS laptop
sorry for the minor-off-topic question. Its just I plan to run this game on a laptop like this.
It would mean so much if you guys could help me regarding this question.

regards,
MrAK