Anthony's Weiner out again?!? Enough already!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I have never seen such an organized media event against any politician other than Anthony Weiner. Every news outlet does nothing but bash this guy daily/hourly. Liberal, right wing, and everything between in some unholy alliance working totally in harmony. To me this looks like the media itself is experimenting into a new level, to force the outcome of a political issue. Something the voters typically have the last say so. Not this time. The media has taken aim, major effort against Weiner.

But it is MSNBC's Chris Matthews at the worst here.
He bashed Weiner nightly, while conveniently forgetting that he, Chris Matthews, wrote a book praising JFK and continues to praise JFK from time to time on his show. Leaving out the fact JFK as far as morals and sex scandal goes, was far worse than Weiner. JFK had his prostitutes, and some involved with organized crime figures. Plus, add in the mysterious Marilyn Monroe death and that JFK/RFK connection.
So, will the media be successful with their goal, forcing the final say on a political matter? I hope Weiner doesn't give up, regardless. It is his decision and only his, and then finally for the voting public to decide.
He will probably and rightfully fail in the end, but at least the voters will make that call, not some organized talking heads on TV.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
His lack of character is only exceeded by his horrible politics and political views. Good thing the public has already tossed him out of the race, he's dropped from first to forth almost overnight.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
On the plus side he did say more pictures would come out and it's rare for a politician to keep his promises, especially before they're even elected. :awe:

Feb 10, 2000
I have never seen such an organized media event against any politician other than Anthony Weiner. Every news outlet does nothing but bash this guy daily/hourly. Liberal, right wing, and everything between in some unholy alliance working totally in harmony. To me this looks like the media itself is experimenting into a new level, to force the outcome of a political issue. Something the voters typically have the last say so. Not this time. The media has taken aim, major effort against Weiner.

But it is MSNBC's Chris Matthews at the worst here.
He bashed Weiner nightly, while conveniently forgetting that he, Chris Matthews, wrote a book praising JFK and continues to praise JFK from time to time on his show. Leaving out the fact JFK as far as morals and sex scandal goes, was far worse than Weiner. JFK had his prostitutes, and some involved with organized crime figures. Plus, add in the mysterious Marilyn Monroe death and that JFK/RFK connection.
So, will the media be successful with their goal, forcing the final say on a political matter? I hope Weiner doesn't give up, regardless. It is his decision and only his, and then finally for the voting public to decide.
He will probably and rightfully fail in the end, but at least the voters will make that call, not some organized talking heads on TV.

I'm not sure what you're implying. Are you saying the media somehow feared Weiner and that it's organized a smear campaign to ruin his chances? That seems nonsensical to me. The torpedoing of Weiner's campaign was carried out more or less entirely by Weiner himself, with the assistance of the stupid and narcissistic behavior of his paramour, Ms. Leathers. The fact that this is a major story arises principally from its tawdriness - for better or worse, this is the kind of story that sells papers and garners mouse clicks.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I have never seen such an organized media event against any politician other than Anthony Weiner.
-snip-

I think some make too much of this.

Basically, Weiner is the gift that keeps on giving.

Sex + politics always sells, and everywhere not just here. Had he not got caught AGAIN flashing his penis around and the media still kept bringing it up I could see complaints.

I don't care what he was running for, which party he did or did not belong to, or why he might be in the news (some other type of celebrity) his antics were going to be on TV. 24/7 is a lot of time slots that need to be filled. And we know this tawdry type stuff is right up America's alley. It's just another reality show.

But yes, Matthews does seem to be very hypocritical here.

Fern