Angry protesters descend on mosque

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Frustration and anger is understandable and it will only grow. Once Muslim build their victory monument at WTC, believe me, there is no turning back.

While it may be in bad taste (IMO VERY bad taste) they should fully be allowed to build there. We cannot make a piece of America 'sacred' against a certain religion or group of people. How more un-American can you get?

By the same token people are allowed to protest as long as it doesn't turn violent

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
While it may be in bad taste (IMO VERY bad taste) they should fully be allowed to build there. We cannot make a piece of America 'sacred' against a certain religion or group of people. How more un-American can you get?

By the same token people are allowed to protest as long as it doesn't turn violent

Thats the thing. That Mosque is not being built at the WTC, it is being built a couple blocks away and you would not even know it if religious idiots did not point it out.

Fox and others that keep harping on it keep leaving out details like that. i.e. its a non-story

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
I think it's very telling how Narmer was totally blind to my post above his and TechBoyJK was blind to Bassbombs post above his.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Are you planning on doing something about it o'prophetic one?

OK, what I said might sound like "I" was planning to do something or "I" cared deeply about it, but that's not the case, I am merely pointing to the fact that it will result in great religious divide.

Where I come from, there is great religious divide and intolerance and the politicians take advantage of the uneducated and unemployed, fuel their hatred. I fear this country is rapidly moving in that direction.

Last edited:

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Wasn't Timothy McVeigh technically a catholic, theres churches right near the memorial

He didn't do what he did in the name of the church or with the support of a large portion of church members. In other words, there is no connection between the two.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
You are making a false connection between terrorists and ordinary people. I don't really see why you insist on doing so.

You want me to be sympathetic towards the folks who want to build a Mosque now at ground zero, excuse me 2 blocks away, like wow such a great distance. But yet these people are not being sympathetic towards the people who lost loved ones there. It swings both ways you know.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
He didn't do what he did in the name of the church or with the support of a large portion of church members. In other words, there is no connection between the two.

Reasons Osama bin Laden says he attacked America

(1) Because you attacked us and continue to attack us.
(2) These tragedies and calamities are only a few examples of your oppression and aggression against us. It is commanded by our religion and intellect that the oppressed have a right to return the aggression. Do not await anything from us but Jihad, resistance and revenge. Is it in any way rational to expect that after America has attacked us for more than half a century, that we will then leave her to live in security and peace?!!

Reason McVeigh said he attacked America

McVeigh claimed that the bombing was revenge for "what the U.S. government did at Waco and Ruby Ridge.

Both people had large support among their peers

Looks close to me?

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Let me say I think, by principle, they should be "allowed" to build the mosque. I just don't think they should and it's a slap in the face of NYC and 9/11 familes to actually do it.

You can NEQ you should

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
A. These guys are idiots.
B. Those who want to build a mosque on 9/11 are idiots.

Terrorism not found.

A. Many who are religious are against this.
B. Most I've communicated with who are against it aren't religious AKA agnostic or atheist.
C. A and B are bothered for the same reason, and it's not because "Jesus hates Muslims"

The Muslims have been given the legal right to do this. If people don't like it they can protest and see how far it gets them.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Let me say I think, by principle, they should be "allowed" to build the mosque. I just don't think they should and it's a slap in the face of NYC and 9/11 familes to actually do it.

You can NEQ you should

So no Mosque should be allowed in NYC because of the work of someone that is not related to them?

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
So how do you decide what to pick and choose?

verse 123450 "oh.. thats crazy, that can't be right"

verse 348798435 "wow, spot on.. amazing!"

Christians do the exact same thing, people consider fundie christians to be somewhat crazy. Both religions are archaic, if muslims want their religion to survive in a civilized society they have to start interpreting their book differently just like christians do now.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
A. These guys are idiots.
B. Those who want to build a mosque on 9/11 are idiots.

Terrorism not found.

A. Many who are religious are against this.
B. Most I've communicated with who are against it aren't religious AKA agnostic or atheist.
C. A and B are bothered for the same reason, and it's not because "Jesus hates Muslims"

The Muslims have been given the legal right to do this. If people don't like it they can protest and see how far it gets them.

WTF are you talking about? 9/11 is a date, not a place. The Mosque is not being built where the WTC were. It is being built a couple blocks away and you would not even know it has a mosque in it as its a seven story building and 1 floor will have a mosque in it.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
WTF are you talking about? 9/11 is a date, not a place. The Mosque is not being built where the WTC were. It is being built a couple blocks away and you would not even know it has a mosque in it as its a seven story building and 1 floor will have a mosque in it.

9/11 is both a date and place. Not just when it happened, but where. It would be better though, to refer the place as 'ground zero'.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Did you read the post of mine that you quoted Marlin? I said, the SHOULD BE ALLOWED.

My 'opinion' is that they shouldn't do it.

And why should they not do it?

So no Mosque should be built in NYC because of the work of someone that is not related to them?

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Christians do the exact same thing, people consider fundie christians to be somewhat crazy. Both religions are archaic, if muslims want their religion to survive in a civilized society they have to start interpreting their book differently just like christians do now.

True. Does the Bible instruct people to murder infidels to the degree that the Quran does?

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
9/11 is both a date and place. Not just when it happened, but where. It would be better though, to refer the place as 'ground zero'.

Really? So 9/11 is not in PA or the pentagon?

If you don;t even know what happened on 9/11 just shutup. Your stupidity along with others is just blinding.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
True. Does the Bible instruct people to murder infidels to the degree that the Quran does?

Yea.

Christian God specifically tells His followers to kill the practitioners of other faiths. Let alone all the other places in the bible it says killing is ok.

Did you do any work on the sabbath?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

No shit. It is being built at just about the closest possible place. They are idiots not because they want to build "A" mosque, but because they picked a site so close. They are idiots because another idiot could have seen this coming. You didn't did you?

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Really? So 9/11 is not in PA or the pentagon?

If you don;t even know what happened on 9/11 just shutup. Your stupidity along with others is just blinding.

I know exactly what happened on 9/11.

I think 9/11 includes all of those sites. I should have said place(s). That's why I mentioned Ground Zero would have been better used, because that's more a reference to the NYC site.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Yea.

Christian God specifically tells His followers to kill the practitioners of other faiths. Let alone all the other places in the bible it says killing is ok.

Did you do any work on the sabbath?

Where does it say all that? I know it says you can kill if your life is threatened..

Yes, I do some work on teh Sabbath. I also don't take the bible literally.