AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 196 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

walk2k

Feb 11, 2006
Thanks for the reply.
I've installed the cooler now and temps are reasonable.

Turns out the ram isn't quite stable at 3400, at least not without tweaks. The memory voltages are listed as "MEM VDDIO" 1.35, "MEM VTT" 0.675 and "VDDCR SOC" 1.1, which one of those do I need to tweak?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Thanks for the reply.
I've installed the cooler now and temps are reasonable.

Turns out the ram isn't quite stable at 3400, at least not without tweaks. The memory voltages are listed as "MEM VDDIO" 1.35, "MEM VTT" 0.675 and "VDDCR SOC" 1.1, which one of those do I need to tweak?

MEM VDDIO is your vDIMM. That may need to go as high as 1.45v. Try 1.40v and see if it improves. MEM VTT should automatically go up to .700 when you change MEM VDDIO. I'd be reluctant to raise VDDCR SOC beyond 1.1 . You could try 1.15 if raising MEM VDDIO doesn't help on its own.

Reactions: Markfw

Jism

Feb 12, 2019
Hi Folks,

I have a 2700X with a asus x470 strix ( https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-X470-F-GAMING/ ) a pair of corsair Vengeance LPX / 2x 16GB ( CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 ) 3200Mhz, a single Evo 970 or so, a 360mm watercooling setup and a now RX580. I am having issues getting it boot at all at 3200Mhz as intended. The highest speed it would boot at on stock settings is 2800Mhz. Anything above is no post / failed OC. So far i tried to increase SOC voltage with 0.1v > no result. I've increased memory voltage of 1.2V to 1.35V as intented > no result. Timings are a bit abracadraba for me as this is completely different compared to a regular DDR3 kit (and settings). I've fired up XMP which seems to apply the correct timings with 3200Mhz speeds > no result. I've setup XMP first and manually set memory speed to 2800Mhz > works.

So kind of stuck why it's not wanting to boot with let alone 3000Mhz memory at all. Not that i am missing out or anything, this thing is utterly fast and hanging constant in boost mode considering the cooling and upped CPU TDP in bios. I came from a 8320 at 4.8Ghz with 2400Mhz DDR3 and there's a huge huge huge difference in between. The ryzen is AMD's big fat comeback here.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Hi Folks,

I have a 2700X with a asus x470 strix ( https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-X470-F-GAMING/ ) a pair of corsair Vengeance LPX / 2x 16GB ( CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 ) 3200Mhz, a single Evo 970 or so, a 360mm watercooling setup and a now RX580. I am having issues getting it boot at all at 3200Mhz as intended. The highest speed it would boot at on stock settings is 2800Mhz. Anything above is no post / failed OC. So far i tried to increase SOC voltage with 0.1v > no result. I've increased memory voltage of 1.2V to 1.35V as intented > no result. Timings are a bit abracadraba for me as this is completely different compared to a regular DDR3 kit (and settings). I've fired up XMP which seems to apply the correct timings with 3200Mhz speeds > no result. I've setup XMP first and manually set memory speed to 2800Mhz > works.

So kind of stuck why it's not wanting to boot with let alone 3000Mhz memory at all. Not that i am missing out or anything, this thing is utterly fast and hanging constant in boost mode considering the cooling and upped CPU TDP in bios. I came from a 8320 at 4.8Ghz with 2400Mhz DDR3 and there's a huge huge huge difference in between. The ryzen is AMD's big fat comeback here.

That RAM kit is not on Asus' memory QVL list for your motherboard, so that is likely your issue.

RAM that isn't on the QVL might still run, but many times at lower speeds than it is normally able to on fully compatible motherboards. You can try manually setting the timings, but it sounds like you've already been playing around doing that.

Jism

Feb 12, 2019
I have'nt touched timings yet, i need to dive into DDR4 since i was used to DDR3 and could dream that stuff blind. I think the 1T vs 2T might be the issue or cause to this. I have'nt tried this yet, i dont see any performance issues so far. Any game and workload i throw at it is just utterly fast. It seems that it's not yet fully working as it was intented.

Is there difference into going CL14 on 2800Mhz vs CL16 on 3200Mhz and above? If 2800Mhz / CL14 and tweaked timings are almost the same then i'd settle down for that.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I have'nt touched timings yet, i need to dive into DDR4 since i was used to DDR3 and could dream that stuff blind. I think the 1T vs 2T might be the issue or cause to this. I have'nt tried this yet, i dont see any performance issues so far. Any game and workload i throw at it is just utterly fast. It seems that it's not yet fully working as it was intented.

You can manually try to set the timings yourself, instead of using the XMP profile. Maybe with some luck, you can get the RAM to run at DDR4 2933 Mhz speeds (or possibly at DDR4 3200 Mhz if you're really lucky, but I wouldn't count on that).

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Hi Folks,

First thing you need to do is get a program called Thaiphoon Burner. Get the freeware version:

http://www.softnology.biz/files.html

Once you install and run it, you should see a button that says "Read". Click on that and then attach a screenshot here. I think you have Hynix RAM, but until we check, we won't know for sure. Getting Hynix RAM running @ DDR4-3200 can be a challenge on Ryzen systems, but it is doable. You will have to adjust some timings and such.

Jism

Feb 12, 2019
full.jpg

That's the one. Hynix.

Jism

Feb 12, 2019
So how would i know what timings are correct for a ryzen setup and how do i test out if my memory passes that stuff?

I am running Primocache with a 8GB defer write. It means that if the ram is unstable, causes errors or some wicked stuff i will guaranteed have dataloss. The only way would be obviously manual testing, timing by timing and a million reboots straight into a Memtest USB boot.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Memtest is a good choice. I wouldn't go for anything less if you're using Primocache.

If you read the thread I linked, you will see that there is DRAM calculator tool that can help you nail down proper timings for your setup. Just follow the instructions in the thread on how to use it.

Jism

Feb 12, 2019
Yeah i've spawned the tool on my computer before my post. As far as i understand i fill in all details manually, hit one or two buttoms that spit out 'ideal' settings and that's what i test or go on from there.

It's just so complicated compared to DDR3 lol. That was simply one notch down a setting and re-run any test untill you start getting errors. Way easyer.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Yeah i've spawned the tool on my computer before my post. As far as i understand i fill in all details manually, hit one or two buttoms that spit out 'ideal' settings and that's what i test or go on from there.

It's just so complicated compared to DDR3 lol. That was simply one notch down a setting and re-run any test untill you start getting errors. Way easyer.

It isn't just DDR4. AM4 memory controllers are kind of . . . weird. Sometimes you can decrease stability when you loosen timings. There are critical ranges where you achieve maximum stability.

Also, it can depend on which AGESA version you're running in your motherboard's firmware/UEFI. Different AGESA versions favor different generations of Zen CPUs. Earlier ones were obviously slanted towards Summit Ridge. Later AGESA variants can sometimes be better for Pinnacle Ridge. The specific implementation of firmware from your mobo manufacturer also plays a role.

Jism

Feb 12, 2019
I would assume that a board of over 190 euro's would be sufficient for any of these kinds, including overclocking would be covered. I understand that the QVL list is there for a reason and i also trust the PC shop that bought & assembled the whole thing together knew what it was doing. But when i first dodged into the bios the memory speed was put auto at 2200Mhz or so.

I'll check that out. It's a complete different platform to what i was used to (AM3 / 990 chipset). I could dream that one blind btw and knew every setting to get the best out of an FX lol.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Anyone seen their Ryzen boosting above and beyond the expected maximum boost speed, when OC settings are untouched besides XMP2.0 ? My 2700X has some of the cores boosting to a max of 4650MHz on an MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon with 32GB DDR4-3200 CL14.

I've seen these same speed readings in HWMonitor and CPU-Z, as well as Ryzen Master when I still had it installed. To be clear, I've never seen any core STAY at that clock speed for more than a split second. Just wondering if it's normal or not.

Reactions: Drazick

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Never heard of 4650 MHz on a 2700x. With XFR, anything is possible . . . what are you using to cool that thing?

Jism

Feb 12, 2019
Perhaps some boost function on the board itself? Mine does never reach higher then 4340 Mhz. And it always sticks within 50 degrees temp.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I don't really see it go over 60C under full load, I'm using a Corsair H115i Pro to cool it.

Feb 4, 2009
Anyone seen their Ryzen boosting above and beyond the expected maximum boost speed, when OC settings are untouched besides XMP2.0 ? My 2700X has some of the cores boosting to a max of 4650MHz on an MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon with 32GB DDR4-3200 CL14.

I've seen these same speed readings in HWMonitor and CPU-Z, as well as Ryzen Master when I still had it installed. To be clear, I've never seen any core STAY at that clock speed for more than a split second. Just wondering if it's normal or not.

What memory are you using?

Jism

Feb 12, 2019
Someone tipped me, to exchange the memory from slot 1 and 3 to 2 and 4, after a bunch of issues getting a hynix kit rated at 3200Mhz at it's intended speed. After swapping out sticks i can confirm that the set now works using XMP without hassle.

This goes out for a Asus 470-F strix and a kit of 2x 16GB 3200Mhz Hynix CL16 memory.