AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 196 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 27, 2000
If that leak is right and we get 12 core/24 threads for $300 it seems like HEDT is not needed for the majority of consumers.
HEDT is already not needed for the majority of consumers. People with extreme I/O requirements will still want it.

Yeah, but the 2990WX is already hitting a point at which software/OS limitations are leading to diminishing returns. Outside of a few applications I am not sure that we really need to push past 32c/64t for HEDT at the moment. Sure, in a few years yeah, but right now it would probably be smarter for AMD to put their effort into improving the memory situation on Zen.
What they need is a 32c/64t HEDT product that actually has full access to all memory banks from all cores, unlike the 2990WX. The 2990WX has some . . . design compromises, to put it mildly. Zen2 TR needs to fix that.

EXCellR8

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2010
Honestly... anything over 4 cores isn't that popular among the average consumer. Those who bought the 2990WX are the 1% enthusiasts, content creators, engineers and/or distributed computing advocates. There's certainly some gamers with deep pockets in there, but niche products advertise to niche people.

ub4ty

Jun 21, 2017
What they need is a 32c/64t HEDT product that actually has full access to all memory banks from all cores, unlike the 2990WX. The 2990WX has some . . . design compromises, to put it mildly. Zen2 TR needs to fix that.
This is what I'm most counting on.. A rome w/ 4 less chiplets (32 cores w/ equal access to I/O). This would be a great product if they could swing it.. A nice full-featured upgrade that doesn't threaten their EPYC line that much and properly establishes threadripper.

> 7nm
> Higher clocks
> Better power efficiency
> PCIE 4.0
> All cores w/ equal access to I/O
That would get my attention and others quickly and solidify me on threadripper.

ATM, I'm eyeing eypc because 16 core is the max efficient/sensible core count on threadripper.. Unequal access to I/O is a deal killer.
This changes if they deliver a solid 32 core

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Just getting my ryzen 2700x setup (main in the signature). Because I did squat for research ahead ahead of time, I went ahead and bought two of these kits ballistix sport lt to run with a 4x8gb. After installation I enabled XMP and it seems to be running at the rated specs. I have done 0 stability tests yet, just installed windows and some patches and thats it. I'll be running memtest on this over the weekend when I'm back home. Anything else I need to worry about or should test? I plan to just run XFR and precision-boost (I can do that, right) and not do any manual OCing. We will see if the CM AIO watercooler can handle the temps, I'm not a big fan of the noise the dual 120mms seem to generate with the system at idle....

Looking forward to some gaming

Apr 27, 2000
Yeah if you just run PBO2 you should be fine. It'll boost itself pretty well and keep heat down. If you are getting DDR4-3000 speeds in a 4x8GB configuration then you are actually doing fairly well (most such configurations top out at DDR4-3200, and getting there is not so easy).