AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 92 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Is that a safe long term voltage setting? I'll try 2900ish and possibly 3200 with 1.375 and see how it goes.

DDR4 should be fine at 1.4V on ambient. Most of the higher speed modules use 1.35V-1.40V anyways.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
So looks like I'll be building at least one Ryzen rig after all. I realize that I'll have to wait till motherboards come back in stock, but I'm looking at asrock X370 motherboards. I'm not sure if I'll go with Taichi, seems like an overkill for my needs as I'm not going to be overclocking. So I'm looking at the other two x370 motherboards, the X370 Killer/SLI and X370 Gaming K4 Fatality one. They're both about the same price. Any reason why I should go one or the other?

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
No response since, did it explode? :eek:
Seems to be running fine. A couple hiccups, but nothing catastrophic.

I am not particularly happy with the build quality on this enthoo pro m. It's not bad, but I thought it would better. My expectations were probably too high for a case I paid $55 for. That said, I really like the air flow in this thing.

Boot time seems really good on this taichi. Some people were complaining about post times, and I was kind of expecting something similar, but this thing isn't having any issues.

I would take pics, but the camera on my phone is a joke. But it looks really nice, and it's quiet.

According to HWmonitor and Ryzen master, this Ryzen 1700 is at 35.5C @ 1.08125V while doing CPUz Stress Test. This is 100% default settings with the stock bios

I haven't had time to put aida or anything else on here yet.

PS:

I just tried this asrock a tuning utility, and it just keeps popping up "division by zero" error. lol

Last edited:

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well did the 0511 bios update for my Prime X370 pro last night. haven't had to much time to go through it yet but i am able to get my Dominator ram running 2400mhz 16-17-17-17-38 right now with no issues. Might be able to tighten the timings some more when i have time to test. not seeing any change in the temp reads. Still reading about +20 for me.

Reactions: richierich1212

dyslecktikkern

Mar 24, 2017
Seems to be running fine. A couple hiccups, but nothing catastrophic. This Noctua D15 won't let me use my top PCIe slot, which kind of sucks, but it's not the end of the world. I guess I will be going Vega instead of xfire now though.

I am not particularly happy with the build quality on this enthoo pro m. It's not bad, but I thought it would better. My expectations were probably too high for a case I paid $55 for. That said, I really like the air flow in this thing.

Boot time seems really good on this taichi. Some people were complaining about post times, and I was kind of expecting something similar, but this thing isn't having any issues.

I would take pics, but the camera on my phone is a joke. But it looks really nice, and it's quiet.

According to HWmonitor and Ryzen master, this Ryzen 1700 is at 35.5C @ 1.08125V while doing CPUz Stress Test. This is 100% default settings with the stock bios

I haven't had time to put aida or anything else on here yet.

PS:

I just tried this asrock a tuning utility, and it just keeps popping up "division by zero" error. lol

Are you talking about the pcie x1 slot or the x16slot? i'm planning to use 3 GPUs with a NH-D15 cooler on a Taichi board if it's possible.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I am using the D15S with the Taichi and I am able to use a Powercolor 390 in my top PCIe 16x slot. The 1x slot is also available, but only just. That's in a Rosewill Thor v2 case using two NF-A14 fans and the stock fan on the D15S.

My only "struggle" is that using a Powercolor 390 in 16x slot 1 and an MSI 390 Gaming in 16x slot 2 (8x slot whatever) blocks the 4x PCIe slot at the bottom. So no 3-card mining action on this board unless using risers.

dyslecktikkern

Mar 24, 2017
Both. I even had the backplate off of this GPU, and it still wouldn't fit.
I guess i have to return my noctua cooler then, do you think the offset on the NH-D15s is enough to make room for the slot?

I'm still waiting for my motherboard so i can't check myself.

the distance from the center is 67mm instead of 75 so 0.8cm more space.

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
I am using the D15S with the Taichi and I am able to use a Powercolor 390 in my top PCIe 16x slot. The 1x slot is also available, but only just. That's in a Rosewill Thor v2 case using two NF-A14 fans and the stock fan on the D15S.

My only "struggle" is that using a Powercolor 390 in 16x slot 1 and an MSI 390 Gaming in 16x slot 2 (8x slot whatever) blocks the 4x PCIe slot at the bottom. So no 3-card mining action on this board unless using risers.

I guess i have to return my noctua cooler then, do you think the offset on the NH-D15s is enough to make room for the slot?

I'm still waiting for my motherboard so i can't check myself.

the distance from the center is 67mm instead of 75 so 0.8cm more space.

nvm guys, I am an idiot... The USB 3.0 cable to the front IO was in the way.... I was up way too late building this thing.

Sorry about that.

Last edited:

dyslecktikkern

Mar 24, 2017

according to the specification on your MSI 390 Gaming it's 51mm, one of my cards are 36mm. do you think 15mm less is enough to make room for a third GPU?

nvm guys, I am an idiot... The USB 3.0 cable to the front IO was in the way.... I was up way too late building this thing.

Nice! nothing to worry about then i guess.

Reactions: unseenmorbidity

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-B350-PLUS/HelpDesk_Download/
Code:
PRIME B350-PLUS BIOS 0513
1.Improve system performance.
2.Make CPU temperature more precise.

I updated my BIOS to 0513 for ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Same Microcode version

No interesting changes
- SMT Option now available

AuQJ15N.jpg

- Performance Bias now available

dmpvZPd.jpg

Temperature remain reported at +20° C.
However now I see the CPU temperature is averaging around 3 °C less than before.

I find it strange, but the fans work harder and the temperature is higher in the BIOS than in Windows/Linux.

Save for the big hiccups on Day 0 when I got my Mobo, this low end Board is not so bad, I had very less issues.
I would have gotten X370 but I wasn't willing to wait back then.

Last edited:
Reactions: richierich1212

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
Reactions: dyslecktikkern

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
OK, something odd, and I need help. Went to change my overclock, with less vcore, more speed. Applied from Ryzen master, then it locked up. Rebooted, went into bios, and went back and saved (3.9 ghz, 1.35 vcore) But when windows books, its running at 3.2 ghz. If I run Ryzen master. click on the profile, and apply, it says "sucessfully updated", but it did not say "this requires a reboot" which it should, and its still runnig at 3.2 !!!

Uploading new bios 1.44 and will try that, but please if you have any idea, reply.

Magic Hate Ball

Feb 2, 2017
OK, something odd, and I need help. Went to change my overclock, with less vcore, more speed. Applied from Ryzen master, then it locked up. Rebooted, went into bios, and went back and saved (3.9 ghz, 1.35 vcore) But when windows books, its running at 3.2 ghz. If I run Ryzen master. click on the profile, and apply, it says "sucessfully updated", but it did not say "this requires a reboot" which it should, and its still runnig at 3.2 !!!

Uploading new bios 1.44 and will try that, but please if you have any idea, reply.

A lot of clock/voltage/SMT changes seem to take a full shutdown then power up to apply.