AMD Ryzen 3000 Builders Thread

Page 91 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Ryzen Dram Calculator. I have the 16GB kit of G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz CL14. I run mine as 3600 CL14 so I didn't really have a choice in the end. It's more fun to tinker around with it a couple of times rather than the single click enable DOCP.

What kind of voltage was required to run at CL14 at 3600?

I know for certain my sticks will do 3600 CL16.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Yep, 3900X. Allot of older PSUs came with just an 8 & 4 pin connector. This board has two 8 pin 12v inputs (which is nuts, because that's over 700 watts available power!).

Nuts, but it'll only take what it needs in the end. I'd imagine it's more for stability then the overall ability to supply more power.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
What kind of voltage was required to run at CL14 at 3600?

I know for certain my sticks will do 3600 CL16.

I had to bump it up to 1.45v's to get it there. Stock was 1.35v's so not really much of a voltage bump to stabilize it.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
I was using some website. Let me see if I can find it.
EDIT: Here's what I used:

thanks I may have to try that as i was overwhelmed with all the data needed to use the DRAM calculator. According to Tom's if you want to cut your boot time down setting it manually is better than XMP but so far XMP for me. Not that anyone reboots there PC a lot anymore. Sleep is such a great invention!

Reactions: Makaveli

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
thanks I may have to try that as i was overwhelmed with all the data needed to use the DRAM calculator. According to Tom's if you want to cut your boot time down setting it manually is better than XMP but so far XMP for me. Not that anyone reboots there PC a lot anymore. Sleep is such a great invention!
No problem! Truth is, my ram might be faster, but damn if I notice a difference. My boot time is the same, in fact everything is. If you see a difference, be sure and post back.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Actually it could. XMP can change all manner of voltage settings. Try turning off XMP and running like that for a bit.

Installed older sound driver, so far so good. who knows what tomorrow brings.

They call this Ultra but the bios reset is still two jumper pins. There isn't even a jumper on there like a normal 3 pin setup...

and the sound is screwed again
forget it, I'll just use the video card one

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
They call this Ultra but the bios reset is still two jumper pins. There isn't even a jumper on there like a normal 3 pin setup...

The Aorus lineup is not so great below the Master. It's not terrible, but it's definitely missing some build quality.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
First post from my new system (see sig). Having some issues activating Win10. Seems like the MS account I used to upgrade and activate doesn't list Win10 in my library :( Don't know what happened yet. Hopefully, when I get my old outlook pst imported, I'll find some sort of receipt. I'll give some details of my build experience when I get through some of this annoying software install and update process. Thanks for all the help and inspiration!

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
First post from my new system (see sig). Having some issues activating Win10. Seems like the MS account I used to upgrade and activate doesn't list Win10 in my library :( Don't know what happened yet. Hopefully, when I get my old outlook pst imported, I'll find some sort of receipt. I'll give some details of my build experience when I get through some of this annoying software install and update process. Thanks for all the help and inspiration!

I purchased a new Cd key for Win10 Pro OEM much cheaper than buying full retail. My previous Win10 install on the X58 was the free upgrade version from win 7 which I know is tied to the motherboard. And I used the same email account hopefully it works itself out on your end.

Reactions: Ajay

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I purchased a new Cd key for Win10 Pro OEM much cheaper than buying full retail. My previous Win10 install on the X58 was the free upgrade version from win 7 which I know is tied to the motherboard. And I used the same email account hopefully it works itself out on your end.
Same situation Win7 Pro -> Win10 Pro on x58. Didn't know the free version was tied to once machine. Would you please PM the site you used to purchase the low cost CD Key? I think I can use my old Win 8.1 key to go to Win10 Pro, but that’s still $200.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Same situation Win7 Pro -> Win10 Pro on x58. Didn't know the free version was tied to once machine. Would you please PM the site you used to purchase the low cost CD Key? I think I can use my old Win 8.1 key to go to Win10 Pro, but that’s still $200.

Done check your PM

Reactions: Ajay

Emilite

Dec 14, 2017
Yep, 3900X. Allot of older PSUs came with just an 8 & 4 pin connector. This board has two 8 pin 12v inputs (which is nuts, because that's over 700 watts available power!).

Buildzoid talked about this in a video on the MSI Creation. IIRC he thinks one connector may be dedicated to the PCIe slots. That could explain why both are needed even though it's not an amperage limit.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
About to start my 3950x build. Deciding on the NVME drive. Look at the difference ! The middle and right ones are both PCIE4, one will be going in. I love how NVME heatsinks are getting common and good. Heatpipes ????
l1G5RzC.jpg

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
About to start my 3950x build. Deciding on the NVME drive. Look at the difference ! The middle and right ones are both PCIE4, one will be going in. I love how NVME heatsinks are getting common and good. Heatpipes ????
l1G5RzC.jpg
Video card clearance issue?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@Markfw

That's huge. Some motherboards come with NVMe heatsinks (with thermal tape on the bottom) built-in to the board. That one on the end looks like overkill . . .

@sdifox

Good call, and yup, I could see that being a problem.

Kedas

Dec 6, 2018
I opened my case on a stone floor (too add an SSD) and it touched the floor and it broke, I didn't even realized what happened until I looked at it (plastic on it is keeping it together). It didn't fell out of my hands it just touched the floor on that bottom front corner.
Don't remove the glass on a stone floor!

Anyone knows if they have metal replacements?

Looks like this case was bad choice, no fan speed control and now broken glass. (I can't even remember when I broke glass)

Attachments

• ThermaltakeCaseGlassBreaksVeryEasy.jpg
    ThermaltakeCaseGlassBreaksVeryEasy.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 32

Kedas

Dec 6, 2018
Yeah what's the point in calling it (using) tempered glass if it breaks more easily than normal glass.

edit: from what I read is that it probably was already damaged with a very small crack and the extra pulse made it go al the way.
But you can't prove that for warranty...

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Yeah what's the point in calling it (using) tempered glass if it breaks more easily than normal glass.
Tempered glass means it won't break into individual shards of glass. It doesn't mean its stronger than plate glass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempered_glass
Such stresses cause the glass, when broken, to crumble into small granular chunks instead of splintering into jagged shards as plate glass (a.k.a. annealed glass) does. The granular chunks are less likely to cause injury.

Kedas

Dec 6, 2018

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Your link:
I meant to point out that things like cases, car shields, showers, etc. use tempered glass because of the safety function of it. I haven't seen a mainstream case use anything other than tempered glass for some time.

Additionally, you want to be careful on a hard surface. You could lay down a towel to eliminate issues like you experienced.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Video card clearance issue?

I have the Corsair Drive when I checked with my GPU it was fine. However with something has a huge cooler on it and taking up 3 slots you may have an issue.

Good thing thought it with these drives you can remove the heatsink and use the stock one on the motherboard.

I opened my case on a stone floor (too add an SSD) and it touched the floor and it broke, I didn't even realized what happened until I looked at it (plastic on it is keeping it together). It didn't fell out of my hands it just touched the floor on that bottom front corner.
Don't remove the glass on a stone floor!

Anyone knows if they have metal replacements?

Looks like this case was bad choice, no fan speed control and now broken glass. (I can't even remember when I broke glass)

Ouch that sucks dude mine is also glass but whenever I remove it, I lay it on the couch it never touches the ground. I learn this lesson a few years ago with stone and glass.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
OK, now I am pissed. The UPS driver says the computer says its on his truck, but he can't find it. I even went out to the truck, described about the size of the box, that it was amazon, and cam from Carlisle PA.

No luck so far. he went on, and said he will be back if he finds it. The NVME slot is beside the video card, so it will fit. The bad news is that I can't put anything in the other NVME slot, as I need a standoff. (in the back of the pic)
0RxrJf3.jpg

Reactions: Drazick

Kedas

Dec 6, 2018
Additionally, you want to be careful on a hard surface. You could lay down a towel to eliminate issues like you experienced.
Yeah I know, I just didn't expect it to be that fragile, I mean it can't get more fragile than that.
Must be from the same designer that made the glass for the Tesla Cybertruck, it will never break, just don't touch it with something hard ;)