AMD Ryzen 3000 Builders Thread

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Snarf Snarf

Feb 19, 2015
Also, apparently need to install latest chipset drivers with Ryzen Balanced power plan (for 3rd gen) to take advantage of the 1ms speed changes. And the 3rd gen has a CC6 sleep state which tools other than Ryzen Master cannot accurately read.

Its also possible your motherboard is over-volting it. I would see if you can figure out stock vcore, and manually set it to that.

Mark said it a little better than I did. Depending on motherboard vendor certain UEFI's were over volting the chips a tad higher than necessary and there were quite a few users reporting better temps with similar boost clocks with a small negative voltage offset.

Snarf Snarf

Feb 19, 2015
I feel your pain. My cpu came today. My mobo wont be here until Friday. tears of sorrow lol

These are trying times and I'm glad we're here together for emotional support. All jokes aside I've waited 5 years to replace my trusty 4790k, two more day's won't kill me.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I got a job offer today so think I will reward myself with a new system. Why not? I will reuse my ram (in my sig) and my 1080ti. 3900x CPU of course once it's back in stock. Question is, what motherboard to go with it? Honestly, gone are the days of me tweaking everything for an extra 100mhz, I simply cannot be bothered. So I'm thinking some mid tier x570 will do? Any particular brand anyone can recommend? I presume somewhere in the $250-$299 or so range?

Reactions: lightmanek

Snarf Snarf

Feb 19, 2015
I got a job offer today so think I will reward myself with a new system. Why not? I will reuse my ram (in my sig) and my 1080ti. 3900x CPU of course once it's back in stock. Question is, what motherboard to go with it? Honestly, gone are the days of me tweaking everything for an extra 100mhz, I simply cannot be bothered. So I'm thinking some mid tier x570 will do? Any particular brand anyone can recommend? I presume somewhere in the $250-$299 or so range?

I'm a fan of the way the MSI x570 Pro Carbon or X570 Aorus Pro (non-wifi) look for $250 boards.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I'm a fan of the way the MSI x570 Pro Carbon or X570 Aorus Pro (non-wifi) look for $250 boards.

Both have wifi for an extra $10 from what I see. Do they cut features to make room for that wifi, from what I can tell they don't? For the $10 I may as well get the wifi.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I feel your pain. My cpu came today. My mobo wont be here until Friday. tears of sorrow lol

Oh the agony! I feel your pain.

I'm still debating procrastinating on my case and nvme drive purchases.

I did at least manage a on top of the mb box build last night to make sure nothing was doa.

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
It feels great that AMD has knocked it out of the park with Ryzen 3rd gen processors. The only thing that sucks for me is that I don't have desktops anymore because of our small living space here in SF. We just use laptops now. My brothers on the other hand are due for upgrades now (4770 and 3570K).

AMD HURRY UP AND MAKE ZEN 2 + NAVI FOR LAPTOPS! I HAVE MONEY FOR YOU!!!!!!

Anyways, glad to see you guys still active here on AT.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I got a friend who is planning a moderately cheap build, basic no overclocking yet the latest connectivity would be nice on the motherboard minus m.2 but if it comes included why not if it doesn't hike up the price. Good recommendation overall for a cheap motherboard? The cpu of choice is the 3600 for this build.

I could maybe have a look about but i am seeing lots of people on older chipsets dropping the 3000 series right in. Out of the loop by maybe a a decade on what is a good cheap quality motherboard from AMD. The recommendation of motherboard will be bookmarked for possible future builds, including a possible replacement of my 8350 rig.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011

edit: Both do look good! MSI has the best B450 board, so I imagine that has carried over even for low and mid level X570.

Pro Carbon is 10 phase and Aorus Pro is 12 phase.

A good option might be AsRock X570 Extreme4 or Steel Legend, cheaper than both, no wifi, 10 phase, high amp chokes.

Last edited:

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Newegg didn't get my mobo out by cut off time so now my parts won't be here on my day off to complete my build on Thursday. I'm filled with indescribable first world sadness now. Please send pics of your builds to get me through the day.

@VirtualLarry does your motherboard support negative voltage offset? I've seen quite a few people getting their temps down with a -0.1 to -0.15 V offset and maintaining the same all core turbo clocks. 1.465V has been turning up a lot on PBO boosts and that seems way too high for stock operation so check if your chip is hitting that kind of voltage.
I had the same thing happen from Amazon. My board took an extra week to arrive due to Amazon's inability to ship the board from Canada. They had to source one from Michigan. It was the Asrock B450 Gaming ITX/ac.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
I got a friend who is planning a moderately cheap build, basic no overclocking yet the latest connectivity would be nice on the motherboard minus m.2 but if it comes included why not if it doesn't hike up the price. Good recommendation overall for a cheap motherboard? The cpu of choice is the 3600 for this build.

I could maybe have a look about but i am seeing lots of people on older chipsets dropping the 3000 series right in. Out of the loop by maybe a a decade on what is a good cheap quality motherboard from AMD. The recommendation of motherboard will be bookmarked for possible future builds, including a possible replacement of my 8350 rig.

How cheap?

The best "cheap" board is the MSI B450 Tomahawk; because the B450 Pro Carbon is the same price as an entry level X570.

After that, Asus Prime X470-Pro.

Then, X570?

MonkeyK

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
Picked up my order from MicroCenter this evening. The store manager said that the Tuesday 3900x listing was because of some kind of delivery error to the stores and that he didn't expect to see any more for a few weeks.

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
Hey with this chiplet design how are most of you going to apply the thermal paste? Are you going to do the usually pea size in the middle or are you going to apply a different method?

Reactions: Drazick

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Picked up my order from MicroCenter this evening. The store manager said that the Tuesday 3900x listing was because of some kind of delivery error to the stores and that he didn't expect to see any more for a few weeks.

Well, it was a dang good delivery error!

But I was also told drop shipments were being sent asap to the stores...

Last edited:

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Hey with this chiplet design how are most of you going to apply the thermal paste? Are you going to do the usually pea size in the middle or are you going to apply a different method?

Heat spreads, and heat soaks metal.

I have always covered the whole CPU, below is my final paste setup before clamping the cooler to the 2700X.

I have yet to ever re-paste a CPU.

Attachments

• 2700x-paste-coverage.jpg
    2700x-paste-coverage.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: DarthKyrie

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Apologies if this question as already been asked, but what do people think is likely to happen if I drop a Ryzen 3 series CPU into say a B450 chipset board?

I'm aware of the usual advice, being that I'm best off checking the board's CPU support to see which BIOS version properly supports the newer chips and to have that BIOS installed beforehand, but I'm thinking back to when Ryzen boards prior to Ryzen-G were around and me having to buy a cheap pre-Ryzen-G CPU to flash the board before it would work at all with the Ryzen-G due to its "new" on-CPU graphics.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
It feels great that AMD has knocked it out of the park with Ryzen 3rd gen processors. The only thing that sucks for me is that I don't have desktops anymore because of our small living space here in SF. We just use laptops now. My brothers on the other hand are due for upgrades now (4770 and 3570K).

AMD HURRY UP AND MAKE ZEN 2 + NAVI FOR LAPTOPS! I HAVE MONEY FOR YOU!!!!!!

Anyways, glad to see you guys still active here on AT.

How about a mini ITX build? :)