AMD Ryzen 3000 Builders Thread

Page 27 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
I have all my 3900X parts and the 4790k is ready to be taken apart and Windows migrated, but I need to BIOS update an Asus Prime X370-Pro with my 1700 and test the board. o_O

I picked up a 3600 and the Prime X370-Pro from MC for a friend, as the discount made the board 1 cent, ha!

But I need to get it shipped out today! :eek:

They are upgrading from a 2500k!

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Apologies if this question as already been asked, but what do people think is likely to happen if I drop a Ryzen 3 series CPU into say a B450 chipset board?

I'm aware of the usual advice, being that I'm best off checking the board's CPU support to see which BIOS version properly supports the newer chips and to have that BIOS installed beforehand, but I'm thinking back to when Ryzen boards prior to Ryzen-G were around and me having to buy a cheap pre-Ryzen-G CPU to flash the board before it would work at all with the Ryzen-G due to its "new" on-CPU graphics.

Um, if the BIOS on the B450 is updated for 3k series before you put it in, it will be fine.

Not sure if boards in the retail channel are 3k ready, if that is the question.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I got a friend who is planning a moderately cheap build, basic no overclocking yet the latest connectivity would be nice on the motherboard minus m.2 but if it comes included why not if it doesn't hike up the price. Good recommendation overall for a cheap motherboard? The cpu of choice is the 3600 for this build.
What do you mean by "latest connectivity?" Often times latest connectivity options are one of the ways mobo manufacturers differentiate their products, and you will find that cheaper boards often are missing or short of things that you want. It may be easier to decide on a board then go for add-in cards for missing connectivity options.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
What do you mean by "latest connectivity?" Often times latest connectivity options are one of the ways mobo manufacturers differentiate their products, and you will find that cheaper boards often are missing or short of things that you want. It may be easier to decide on a board then go for add-in cards for missing connectivity options.

Sata 6 and usb 3.0 honestly will be plenty, M.2 isn't exactly something i can worry about given in a budget build its more likely getting a 860 Evo. Its just which motherboard and how cheap can you go with it effectively running a 3600 without problems? I know many motherboards mark up their prices considerably and they often offer quite a bit more then you will even get to use.

I assume at this point sata 6 and usb 3.0 is pretty standard. Unless you get something like a A320 and personally i just know that one isn't gonna be the pick. It sounds more like a B450 for sure.

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
Just brought a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1Tb from Amazon. The current nvme in my Intel rig is a 960 Pro 1tb so figured what the heck. Today the Evo and thermal paste arrives, tomorrow the CH8 Wifi arrives. Must resist urge to buy corsair 680x in black. 780t i have is fine lol plus i still use a optical drive.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Just brought a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1Tb from Amazon. The current nvme in my Intel rig is a 960 Pro 1tb so figured what the heck. Today the Evo and thermal paste arrives, tomorrow the CH8 Wifi arrives. Must resist urge to buy corsair 680x in black. 780t i have is fine lol plus i still use a optical drive.

Noice!

I think the 970 Evo Plus is one of the fastest non PCIE4 NVME's right now, I am using one for the wife's computer (3600 / 1080 ti).

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, failed on the board choice : (

Gotta get an MSI B350 Tomahawk :(

#nosoundcardleftbehind
C'mon man, standard PCI slots are DEAD technology. Get with the times already... they make PCI-E sound cards too, you know.

Or are you going to tell me that you still want to use your AGP 6800Ultra too?

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
@B-Riz Going to start putting my Intel rig into my empty Air 540 case so i can still use my pc until the mobo comes. Only thing I'm reusing from the Intel build is the
Ram Gskill 16Gb 3200
Evga gtx 1080ti
Evgas psu 850 (air 540 has a 650 psu)
The Noctua UH-14S is on the Intel rig so taking that off and putting the UH-12S on the Intel.

After looking at the review of the Corsair MP600 I decided to stick with the Evo Plus. (esp since a good amount of the benches the Evo was faster than the MP600)
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/hey-deeds-how-about-5-000-mb-s.2567261/

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Well, the problem is, I have 2 2700x's and 3 Xeon2683v3's idle, to save on power *the electric bill is over $500 a month)

So I have plenty of cores. I just keep trying to upgrade the boxes I have with more cores. I can't sell the 2683v3 on ebay, so far no buyers at $240 for 14 cores !

Now the 3900x is $620 on Amazon !

From the looks of it, you can probably flip the 3900x on eBay for a profit. As for that Xeon, my guess is the board will sell better than the CPU will.

I've never been all that impressed with Le Grand Macho. NH-d15 (sorry, meant that in my previous HSF post) and Dark Rock Pro 4 both basically outperform it.

I am really thinking Matisse wants at least a 280mm AiO though. As much as I hate to say it . . .

AMD HURRY UP AND MAKE ZEN 2 + NAVI FOR LAPTOPS! I HAVE MONEY FOR YOU!!!!!!

Unless you get a DTR, you are waiting for Renoir in 2020.

Hey with this chiplet design how are most of you going to apply the thermal paste? Are you going to do the usually pea size in the middle or are you going to apply a different method?

Still gotta let the heatspreader do its job. I cover the entire thing with as little as possible. Which, when using Conductonaut or CLU, is a tiny amount.

C'mon man, standard PCI slots are DEAD technology. Get with the times already... they make PCI-E sound cards too, you know.

Or are you going to tell me that you still want to use your AGP 6800Ultra too?

Hey I kind of miss my ISA Ensoniq Soundscape Elite. It shipped with a 4MB MIDI daughter card (lulz) and everything.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hey I kind of miss my ISA Ensoniq Soundscape Elite. It shipped with a 4MB MIDI daughter card (lulz) and everything.
I had a PCI Aureal Vortex 2, with audio wave-tracing. Yeah, I miss it too, it was pretty unique for calculating wave-traced positional audio. Creative bought the company and killed the (competing) tech, after embroiling the smaller company in a lawsuit first.

I can only hope that some of that tech made it into Creative's later cards, but it seems that they are hung up on "Crystallizer" settings, that make the audio simply sound "warmer" to the un-trained ear.

Reactions: lightmanek

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Can you let us know how well that board handles a 3600? I can't find any info on what AGESA version is supported by the latest UEFI (dated 7/1/2019).

In other news, got my x570 Aorus Master from Newegg. CPU gets here on the 16th, final part for WC setup gets here on the 17th (due to a mistake of mine while ordering, oops). Patience, patience . . .

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Can you let us know how well that board handles a 3600? I can't find any info on what AGESA version is supported by the latest UEFI (dated 7/1/2019).

In other news, got my x570 Aorus Master from Newegg. CPU gets here on the 16th, final part for WC setup gets here on the 17th (due to a mistake of mine while ordering, oops). Patience, patience . . .

3900X goes in it first :)

Technically, the 1700 goes in first to do BIOS updates and Windows / Linux installs for stability purposes.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Sata 6 and usb 3.0 honestly will be plenty, M.2 isn't exactly something i can worry about given in a budget build its more likely getting a 860 Evo. Its just which motherboard and how cheap can you go with it effectively running a 3600 without problems? I know many motherboards mark up their prices considerably and they often offer quite a bit more then you will even get to use.

I assume at this point sata 6 and usb 3.0 is pretty standard. Unless you get something like a A320 and personally i just know that one isn't gonna be the pick. It sounds more like a B450 for sure.

Is $115 too much? That is what the MSI B450 Tomahawk costs and that is one of Steve's (from Hardware Unboxed - YouTube) favorite budget boards.

It has an overbuilt VRM setup, same as the B450 Pro Carbon (*most* MSI B450 have the same beefy VRM setup, maybe some of their low end X470 too ), just needs that decent air cooling on them if OC-ing.

I have an Asus Prime B350-Plus on the way for the lulz to try (if not defective) with the 3900X and 3600.

Reactions: guachi

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
My B350 Tomahawk Arctic was just recently returned from MSI RMA department. All of a sudden didn't like the memory I had installed... might try a 3000 series in that board at some point.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

I built a system for my mum with an MSI Tomahawk B450 (AMD 2400g). I was pleased with the build. Pretty good UEFI UI, easy to setup and get running. Good budget/starter board, IMO. Has everything your friend will need.

Reactions: guachi and B-Riz

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Cool! I wasn't aware of that. Thanks! :D

edit: BTW, don't suppose you know how tall the Sport LT DIMMs are, perchance? I've got an NH-D15 on the way to go along with the 3900X, and enough NF-F12s as case fans (x9), that I could always swap the front 140mm of it for a 120mm, and repurpose the larger fan for the back of the case.

Forgot to take a pic this morning, but, the "heat spreader" is barely over the memory package itself.

Newegg FTW.

1562852884301.png

Reactions: guachi

birdie

Jan 12, 2019
I don't know whether GB is "good" or not but it's quite reliable and at least for the same uArch its results are quite consistent can be directly compared.

Reactions: scannall

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Talking about weird things.

For some reasons Ryzen 3800X is slower than 3700X according to GeekBench 4 both in ST and MT modes:

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/search?dir=desc&q=3800x&sort=score
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/search?dir=desc&q=3700x&sort=score

though in theory it should be a better/faster CPU.

LOL, that is a Windows vs Linux right there, Linux always gets better numbers on Ryzen, look at 2990WX.

Nevermind, found a Windows score.

Well, I dunno, I call it a quirk right now.

Check it after a month or two of BIOS and driver updates.

EDIT: We don't really know who is using PBO or not, stock vs stock, 3800X should have higher numbers than 3700X.

Probably not that much though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Space Tyrant

birdie

Jan 12, 2019
3800X should score higher, there's no doubt about that. It just shows that the platform is in a quite shaky/raw state at the moment and by buying a better/more expensive CPU you won't necessarily get better results.