2022 US midterms election watch party/thread

Page 57 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Nope far too close to project. But because that fair portion yet to be counted is Atlanta, yeah probably Warnock
1670383000041.png

Uhhhh . . . but, yeah, as eelw said, probably Warnock, because Atlanta metro.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
The fact that this race is so tight after all of the foolishness that has occurred speaks volumes about the constituents. Is this the product of decades on inbreeding? :p If Kate Beckinsale is one of the werewolves I'm down. :D

Feb 4, 2009
I was certain Warnock was going to lose. Just too many deplorables in that area. Amazing how the literal weakest possible GOP Candidate against lets be honest a very strong D Candidate and Warnock only won by under a percentage point. Amazing how the GOP manages to gerrymander districts so much a guy who is a Pastor, well spoken, local and technically an incumbent won by a razor thin margin against a guy who knows little of the area and is incapable of putting together simple sentences.
BTW glad we can finally dethrone King Manchin.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
I was certain Warnock was going to lose. Just too many deplorables in that area. Amazing how the literal weakest possible GOP Candidate against lets be honest a very strong D Candidate and Warnock only won by under a percentage point. Amazing how the GOP manages to gerrymander districts so much a guy who is a Pastor, well spoken, local and technically an incumbent won by a razor thin margin against a guy who knows little of the area and is incapable of putting together simple sentences.
I knew this was going to be close, as did anyone who has paid attention. I don't know why you'd think Warnock would flat-out lose.

Just two years ago non-shitbag Georgians elected Biden, and then went and voted in a runoff and elected 2 Democratic Senators in Georgia, which before 2020 had voted for Trump and had 2 Republican Senators.

Polls are useless and the only thing that matters is turnout. There are about the same number of Republican and Democratic voters, and the Democratic ground game is good here, thanks to Stacey Abrams. She needs to walk away from her dream of being governor and become the DNC Chair.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

1st Republican since 1993 elected as a non-voting delegate from Guam.

The red wave begins...........

wo1dplM_d.webp

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I for one, hope Herschel Walker sticks around ... We need to keep up with what is going on in Vampire/Werewolf relations now that they've quit making the Underworld movies.

Aren’t all the Marvel movies made in Georgia? Now that House of Mouse is “no longer woke”, Walker can try to get a walk-on role in the next Blade movie.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Too bad that when democrats get their 51 senate majority AND could have done soooo much with that majority, the tragic part is republicans will then be controlling the house. And there goes the ball game. If only democrats could have held onto the house....if only. This is always how it works for democrats, they just can't seem to get a break. Republicans get the breaks and then some, but never the democrats.
A bitter sweet victory indeed.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
If this runoff was based on qualifications alone, Warnock would have won in a landslide. That speaks to the quality of candidates the Repubs think they can win with. It really does look as if the word "qualifications" got deleted from the GOP requirement list for selecting their hopefuls the very moment Trump won the Repub primary back in '16 and carried forward from there on in with the likes of Marge Green etc. getting elected. Cringe worthy just thinking about that.

Reactions: iRONic and Pohemi

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Too bad that when democrats get their 51 senate majority AND could have done soooo much with that majority, the tragic part is republicans will then be controlling the house. And there goes the ball game. If only democrats could have held onto the house....if only. This is always how it works for democrats, they just can't seem to get a break. Republicans get the breaks and then some, but never the democrats.
A bitter sweet victory indeed.

When you got no morals, and fight dirty, you usually win.

Reactions: Pohemi

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

2.6%, actually. 90K. In the end, it wasn't that close.

Reactions: hal2kilo

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
2.6%, actually. 90K. In the end, it wasn't that close.
That's kinda a matter of perspective. That literally the worst Senate candidate in modern history came that "close" is pretty damn sad. If he had garnered just 1.5% more of the vote, Walker narrowly wins. I'm glad Georgia is now nearly a purple state, but that hardly makes up for all the deep red states out there. Before I felt that demographic changes would relegate the GOP to second class status by 2035ish. Now it feels more like 2050 if the electorate continues on its current path.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
That's kinda a matter of perspective. That literally the worst Senate candidate in modern history came that "close" is pretty damn sad. If he had garnered just 1.5% more of the vote, Walker narrowly wins. I'm glad Georgia is now nearly a purple state, but that hardly makes up for all the deep red states out there. Before I felt that demographic changes would relegate the GOP to second class status by 2035ish. Now it feels more like 2050 if the electorate continues on its current path.

Except you are leaving out further context. That being that GA remains a light red state. How well do you suppose Walker would have done in PA or MI, which IMO remain light blue? Probably couldn't have gotten within 8 points against the same opponent.

And the broader context of this entire mid term. How often has an incumbent party ever done this well in a midterm election? Hisotrically they get trashed. Yet we had this result in spite of a massive advantage for the GOP in the House races due to gerrymandering.

I'd say the dems did pretty well this season. Better than I personally expected.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Except you are leaving out further context. That being that GA remains a light red state. How well do you suppose Walker would have done in PA or MI, which IMO remain light blue? Probably couldn't have gotten within 8 points against the same opponent.

And the broader context of this entire mid term. How often has an incumbent party ever done this well in a midterm election? Hisotrically they get trashed. Yet we had this result in spite of a massive advantage for the GOP in the House races due to gerrymandering.

I'd say the dems did pretty well this season. Better than I personally expected.
We were talking about Georgia, not the midterm elections as a whole (which obviously was a solid win for Dems, which I wasn't expecting at all). Like I said, Herschel Walker is quite literally the worst Senate candidate in modern history, running a shitty run-off campaign and still came somewhat close to defeating an incumbent.

The problem that has developed over the past two decades or so is that we have to really hustle for previously reliable states like Wisconsin or to a lesser degree, MI and PA. Meanwhile, previous purple states are seemingly lost for a decade if not longer, i.e. Ohio and now Florida. Demographic changes in Texas should favor Democrats, but instead the electorate there is slightly shifting further red as well.

I'm not saying these trends can't change (see Georgia!) but like I said, the GOP is unfortunately going to stay relevant for some time. They are mostly fucked in Presidential elections though, as the math just doesn't work in their favor.* However, the Electoral College is rigged in their favor, which makes Presidential elections a lot more competitive than they really should be based on the popular vote margins.

* Still, IMO we need Biden's approval rating in 21 months to be closer to 50% than to 40%. Unless he's running against Trump I guess.

Reactions: iRONic

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Repubs are definitely feeling the sting from being slapped down about that anticipated red wave spreading conservative victories all over nation. Would be interesting to be the proverbial fly on the wall in their after-action strat sessions as to what went wrong, although I can safely assume that Trump is the #1 suspect, yes?. lol

I hope the Repub leadership keeps blaming anyone else except themselves for their lackluster performance in this midterm because methinks it's one of the big reasons their red wave turned out to be an ankle slapping ripple in a rain-filled pothole.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
We were talking about Georgia, not the midterm elections as a whole (which obviously was a solid win for Dems, which I wasn't expecting at all). Like I said, Herschel Walker is quite literally the worst Senate candidate in modern history, running a shitty run-off campaign and still came somewhat close to defeating an incumbent.

The problem that has developed over the past two decades or so is that we have to really hustle for previously reliable states like Wisconsin or to a lesser degree, MI and PA. Meanwhile, previous purple states are seemingly lost for a decade if not longer, i.e. Ohio and now Florida. Demographic changes in Texas should favor Democrats, but instead the electorate there is slightly shifting further red as well.

I'm not saying these trends can't change (see Georgia!) but like I said, the GOP is unfortunately going to stay relevant for some time. They are mostly fucked in Presidential elections though, as the math just doesn't work in their favor.* However, the Electoral College is rigged in their favor, which makes Presidential elections a lot more competitive than they really should be based on the popular vote margins.

* Still, IMO we need Biden's approval rating in 21 months to be closer to 50% than to 40%. Unless he's running against Trump I guess.

Yes, but there is no reason to single out the GA race either. Dems outperformed practically everyone's expectations this midterm. But dems have not blown out anyone in GA, not for 60+ years.

It's standing at +2.8% now. 95.5K. With a small amount yet to count. It wasn't close, not for how close this state has been of late.

I agree that some states have shifted redward. Mainly because non-college educated white voters have motivated for high turnouts in the Trump era. Because they are afraid. It's a backlash. Yet in the longer term, they are losing on demographics.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Indus

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It's looking more like he called it early, because the guy he called it for, is now behind.
He in fact did not call it early, haha.

It's pretty common for people to call an election win for a candidate who is currently behind. They make calls based on where outstanding votes are, not the current tally. In the end it wasn't particularly close.