2022 US midterms election watch party/thread

Page 56 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
I am currently standing in line on the last day of early voting for the runoff in Georgia. The line is about an hour compared to no line for the midterms. Two years ago we had three weeks of early voting for the runoff, this year we have only one thanks to the state republicans voter suppression bill.

I am predicting Warnock will easily win this despite the voter suppression.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Yeah, all this "if we win its legit and if we lose its rigged" crap has got to stop.
Candidates just can't appoint themselves as the winner and completely disregard the votes. I mean... that might sound like a attractive election system, that is if you're living in a dictatorship. Yeah, I think these Trump-inspired candidates need to rethink which system of government AND which country they want live in. I'm sure Putin would welcome their challenge for leader of Russia, that is if Putin doesn't poison them first. But aside from the risks, yeah go ahead Keri Lake and run against Putin for dictator of Russia. I'll even help with the campaign signs. And Keri.... after you lose, that is if you survive the campaign in one piece, I want to see you claim to Putin's face that the election was rigged. I really want to see that.

Nov 17, 2019
A dark and unfortunate turn:

Georgia man arrested for shooting boy campaigning for Sen. Warnock in runoff election against Walker

www.cnbc.com.ico
CNBC|2 hours ago
The shooting occurred days before the Georgia runoff election between Sen. Raphael Warnock and GOP challenger Herschel Walker, a former football star.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
And in cased you missed it, there is this fun bit ...

"PHOENIX — Former statewide candidates Kari Lake and Mark Finchem were ordered Thursday to pay attorneys fees in relation to an election lawsuit a judge deemed “lacked an adequate factual or legal basis.”

Judge John Tuchi gave Lake and Finchem 14 days to pay the fees regarding the April 22 suit, which asked a federal judge to bar the use of tabulation equipment in the recent midterm elections.

“Plaintiffs filled the gaps between their factual assertions, claimed injuries, and requested relief with false, misleading, and speculative allegations,” the ruling said."

From the article the judge specifically held that this was a frivolous lawsuit, without any basis in law or fact. I don't know AZ, but in the two states I practiced this finding would mandate the judge refer the matter to the bar ethics board, and it is pretty much a certainty that substantial disciplinary action would be taken against those attorney, possibly even disbarment. I guess they will join the large number of ex-Trump attorneys in the same situation. Hopefully these attorneys at least got paid for their stupidity.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Only the finest people for the gop.

While I'm on guard for potential abuse like you, I think that claim might be an overreach; they note in the article that the suspect fired through the door, and that there's no evidence of political motivation at this point.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
While I'm on guard for potential abuse like you, I think that claim might be an overreach; they note in the article that the suspect fired through the door, and that there's no evidence of political motivation at this point.

Shitty people fire theough the door without checking first.

Reactions: ivwshane

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
From the article the judge specifically held that this was a frivolous lawsuit, without any basis in law or fact. I don't know AZ, but in the two states I practiced this finding would mandate the judge refer the matter to the bar ethics board, and it is pretty much a certainty that substantial disciplinary action would be taken against those attorney, possibly even disbarment. I guess they will join the large number of ex-Trump attorneys in the same situation. Hopefully these attorneys at least got paid for their stupidity.

It was fed district court, don't think state matters.

Nov 17, 2019
Reactions: Drach and hal2kilo

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
It was fed district court, don't think state matters.

Fed court is a seperate bar, but most (if not all) have the same sort of system I described. They are in grave risk of effectively losing their license to practice in federal court. In addition the feds and states cross refer disciplinary matters to each other. It may not seem so to lay people, but the bars and lawyers in general don't want bad apples around.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Fed court is a seperate bar, but most (if not all) have the same sort of system I described. They are in grave risk of effectively losing their license to practice in federal court. In addition the feds and states cross refer disciplinary matters to each other. It may not seem so to lay people, but the bars and lawyers in general don't want bad apples around.

I wasn't disagreeing with you at all. I happen to know the judge in question is all :)

And one of the sanctioned attorneys is Alan Dershowitz.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Nope far too close to project. But because that fair portion yet to be counted is Atlanta, yeah probably Warnock

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Trump, Scott, and McConnell combined their awesome political savvy and powers to increase the Democratic majority. Well done boys.

• Love
Reactions: iRONic

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
In an election where some 3 million people voted, you are going to tell me the sane and qualified candidate is only up by 2000 votes? Wtf!
I had no idea the population of sister fuckers was so large in Georgia but here we are non sister fuckers barely out numbering sister fuckers.

Reactions: iRONic and Drach