2022 US midterms election watch party/thread

Page 59 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Go to Fox, or to Trump as Pence's replacement for 2024. She's a hoser either way.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
This obsession with testosterone on the right... Ball tanning, raw liver eating, supplements...

It's just so so so weird.
It's just a rehash of the time-honored tradition of old men obsessing over their own virility. From grinding every part of every animal we can get hold of into a powder for tea, to buying penile extensions (actual and figurative), there's no difference. Just sad betas being sad betas.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
It's now 2023:

Repub Kari Lake still refuses to concede AZ gov election even tho her Dem opponent was sworn in as Gov yesterday.

Also, yesterday is when i found out Lake lost by only 17k votes.
Never knew it was that close.
AZ becoming the next Texas?

Last edited:

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
It's now 2023:

Repub Kari Lake still refuses to concede AZ gov election even tho her Dem opponent was sworn in as Gov yesterday.

Also, yesterday is when i found out Lake lost by 17k votes.

I don't get it. AZ has been routinely red for a while.. but starting in 2018 it started being purple.

next Texas?? Texas has been red and looks to be reliably red for a long time doesn't it?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I don't get it. AZ has been routinely red for a while.. but starting in 2018 it started being purple.

next Texas?? Texas has been red and looks to be reliably red for a long time doesn't it?

there has been talk for some time that Texas will go purple, what with people from high CoL states like CA and WA and OR seemingly flooding into that zone, but maybe that is mostly the more rural residents and republicans living in expensive west coast cities that can actually find the kind of work that they do in Texas. I don't know, but there are definitely growing liberal parts of Texas....just lots of intractable rednecks that are just breeding ever more rednecks as the years go.

The thought that it is going purple any time soon can be countered by the simple observation that undeniable ghouls that are universally reviled by normal, literate humans, such as Greg Abbot and Ted Cruz, continue to thrive and destroy all opponents in state-wide elections.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
My thought is that AZ is purple if the GQP runs a nut-bag in the race, but likely red if they run a moderate that isn't constantly wearing a MAGA hat.

TX is a bit worse. It's been threatened to go purple for some time due to demographic shifts, but they keep pulling the football away at the last minute.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
i think we are near optimal outcome if Ds hold the Senate.

Biden has passed a ton of legislation, and other than ukr funds, I don't think he *needs* anymore big spending.

He can focus on the infrastructure projects, foreign policy (and inflation). Senate for judicial nominees, then just let the Rs act like complete clowns for the next two years.

The last bit is perfect bc it creates strong contrast for 2024, and makes Rs accountable for something.

Imperfect Biden getting shit done, or complete crazy town.

Requested and delivered!

-Big Ukrainian support package passed.
-Biden out touring for infrastructure projects.
-House Republicans humiliating themselves in historic fashion.

So good..

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
It's now 2023:

Also, yesterday is when i found out Lake lost by only 17k votes.
Arizona Election Loser Kari Lake Unduly Crowns Herself With A New Title
She called herself " “the duly elected governor” of Arizona "

Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Effing RWNJ

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
a delicious update

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opi...eys-pay-filing-frivolous-lawsuit/70415207007/

~A federal judge on Friday ordered the attorneys for Kari Lake and Mark Finchem to pay Maricopa County $122,200 — money the county's taxpayers spent to fend off a “frivolous” lawsuit brought before last year’s election.

~And on Friday, he socked attorneys Kurt Olsen, Andrew Parker and Alan Dershowitz with the county’s $122K bill, though Dershowitz is liable for just 10% of the tab.

That Dersh signed onto this shit and has to pay is awesome

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005

I'm sure no one is surprised that all parties bitch slapped are appealing the fines.

One of the attorneys fined is Alan Dershowitz. He may be a registered Democrat, but he took the money, signed his name to the suite, so he definitely should pay up. Dershowitz has vowed to appeal the fine all the way to the supreme court. Good luck with that.

Reactions: Pohemi

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

I'm sure no one is surprised that all parties bitch slapped are appealing the fines.

One of the attorneys fined is Alan Dershowitz. He may be a registered Democrat, but he took the money, signed his name to the suite, so he definitely should pay up. Dershowitz has vowed to appeal the fine all the way to the supreme court. Good luck with that.
Dershowitz is way overdue for a good bitch slapping.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Someone smarter than myself please explain how this cum dumpster is a harvard professor?

-Technical Proficiency is not the same thing as intelligence or ethics.

Dersh likely has an innate set of abilities and skills as well as an external set of connections that made him suited for professorship at Harvard; but lacked the same to be a moral, ethical, and holistically intelligent human being.

We too often associate position with "intelligence" (whatever that is, really) when really its a combination of a vast array of factors often times having nothing to do with general smartness.

Success in professorial roles is commonly associated with output of papers or ability to bring in grant money or fundraising, as an example, and can often have virtually nothing to do with actual intelligence/ability/skill commonly associated with "professoring".

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Alan defended O. J. Simpson, Jeffrey Epstein. Julian Assange and Harvey Weinstein. He can die and I will happily celebrate it.

-Ugh... I'll be that guy only cause I have to be: Everyone, no matter how incredibly shitty they appear through our highly impersonal and media colored positions, is entitled to an attorney and should be presumed to be innocent until proven guilty and has a right to a trial as well as representation in their defense.

If a shit stain gets off the hook, the cops and the prosecution and sometimes the Jury needed to have their shit together.

Its not on the defense lawyer (unless they know of evidence against their client that they choose not to disclose) to make sure people go to jail.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
-Technical Proficiency is not the same thing as intelligence or ethics.

Dersh likely has an innate set of abilities and skills as well as an external set of connections that made him suited for professorship at Harvard; but lacked the same to be a moral, ethical, and holistically intelligent human being.

We too often associate position with "intelligence" (whatever that is, really) when really its a combination of a vast array of factors often times having nothing to do with general smartness.

Success in professorial roles is commonly associated with output of papers or ability to bring in grant money or fundraising, as an example, and can often have virtually nothing to do with actual intelligence/ability/skill commonly associated with "professoring".
I mean i get that part...i understand he likes to take on these projects to further his pet legal theories but at least in the trump case he tried to peddle an interpretation of the presidential records act that he claimed would see the whole case thrown out before trial.

An interpretation that certainly seems to fly in the face of everyone else's legal interpretations and contradict any sort of "technical proficiency" to the point of being laughable.

I liken him to prof seneff at MIT; a comp sci prof who is (presumably) extremely well regarded in their field but an absolute whackadoodle in the natural health/wellness field and just laughably wrong on most every facet.

The main failure of the comparison is dersh is actually a lawyer 😄

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
-Ugh... I'll be that guy only cause I have to be: Everyone, no matter how incredibly shitty they appear through our highly impersonal and media colored positions, is entitled to an attorney and should be presumed to be innocent until proven guilty and has a right to a trial as well as representation in their defense.

If a shit stain gets off the hook, the cops and the prosecution and sometimes the Jury needed to have their shit together.

Its not on the defense lawyer (unless they know of evidence against their client that they choose not to disclose) to make sure people go to jail.
Those rights are beside Drach's point. Like anything in life, the wealthy are able to hire better legal representation.
But it's not a coincidence that Dershowitz chooses to rep the worst, wealthy scum in our society.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Been wondering how much this has been costing Trump. Apparently, a lot.

Let's hope the donations get harder and harder to come by. Is it possible some Pubs will ever wake up and smell the coffee.
you can spend campaign contributions on lawyers for lawsuits not related to current campaign???

slush fund indeed.
surprised he didnt spend campaign $ on Stormy Davis to keep her quiet.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
you can spend campaign contributions on lawyers for lawsuits not related to current campaign???

slush fund indeed.

It's PAC donations. Not campaign donations.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
It's PAC donations. Not campaign donations.
And the Supreme Court has ruled PACs can spend unlimited money for the benefit of candidates in any way they desire, with the very narrow exceptions of being limited on how much they can directly contribute to the formal "campaign" fund or pay in cash directly to the candidate. Also, it is illegal to try to force them to disclose their donors if they are structured correctly. (All part of the Supreme Court rulings that bribery is really cool and legal almost always.)

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

slush fund indeed.
FEC, the most useless government organization in the US, wouldn't do a damn thing, even if it was against the election rules.