Zen delayed to 2017 (DigiTimes)

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
No one said supply was low because demand was low. They are two distinct concepts affecting entirely different groups.
I have. We're arguing the semantics of what I said remember?

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
No, we are discussing what the article says and the fact that the scenario it outlines is one that could happen in real life, but probably isn't.
"Probably isn't" is agreeing with my point. You're coming around..

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
That makes sense. Otherwise I would have no explanation as to why you repeatedly ignore the posts where I make it abundantly clear that I don't trust DigiTimes and I don't think their article is true.
That's been my point all along, the article is made up. I am not sure why you're attacking me for calling it out for what it is.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
I don't think there is a single person in here who actually cares about this article, adamantly believes it's true, or is defending DigiTimes in any way. All I'm saying is that the idea of demand for CPUs at OEMs being low is quite obviously, objectively, and undeniable an event that could possibly occur. And for a bunch of morons to show up and spam the thread with invented nonsense like "WHY WOULD AMD DELAY BECAUSE OF BULLDOZER," a thing that no one suggested, is just frustrating as all hell. Why can't we have this discussion without trolls, without liars, without people who sit at their keyboards all day fabricating reasons to be angry?

Honestly, read the last few pages, look at how many idiots wrote something like "it makes no sense for AMD to delay Zen in order to sell Bulldozer stock." Then go back further and see if you can find anyone who suggested such a thing.

Welcome to the Internet.

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
Welcome to the Internet.

Except Wicka is completely off base since the article is implying that, and I am not the only one who read it that way either:

but both CPU makers have recently postponed their launch schedules to January 2017 at CES 2017..and market demand has been slow.

Intel's Kaby Lake platform was originally scheduled to launch at the end of the third quarter and AMD's Zen architecture in the fourth. Related brand vendors have been aggressively clearing their inventory of older-generation models and preparing for the new products since May, but will need to delay the plans as both CPU makers have postponed their launches.

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
The question of it being true has never been up for debate. The question has always been whether it's possible for the reasons they outlined to exist in reality. You think it's impossible, and you are wrong.

I remember your very first shitpost. You were so young. You asked why AMD would delay Zen in order to clear out Bulldozer stock, even though that's not what the article even said.

You are clearly trolling still, because you 100% agreed with this post which implied the same thing.

I would really like the more experienced forum members (people who know the industry) to shed some light on this subject: I can understand how Intel would hold off launching a new product that is at best an incremental update of their current lineup, but for AMD to delay launching a new product they desperately need to improve their standing because of upstream channel saturation seems very unlikely to me.

I understand the plausibility but I fail to see correlation. In the first stage they need Zen for the headlines, not the OEM sales.

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
Again, the existence of other wrong people does not prove you right. People have literally been PMing me about you instead of posting in the thread. That is to extent to which no one wants to discuss this with a person like you. But that's why I'm still here, because I'd actually like to discuss the real topic at hand, and we can't do it until you change or just leave.
Hahaha.. people have been PMing you about me? That clearly shows their conviction when they can't reply to my posts in the thread. :D

Stick around, dude,..

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
Lol, no, it shows they understand how pointless it is to attempt an intelligent discussion with someone like yourself. I mean, you have spent 10 pages arguing against something that cannot, by definition, be argued against. Step back and take a look at yourself in the mirror.
I have spent 10 pages responding to your attacks. Which is fine by me, because I have just showcased your hypocrisy.

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
No, you have changed your opinion and pretended it was the same all along. Which is hilarious and childish.
Nope no change of opinion here. Clearing bulldozer stock does not make sense as one of the reasons for Zen delay as the article claims, is the first thing I wrote and I just showed the article and the post you 100% agreed with which implied the same thing.

Honestly, THIS is the last thing I will say before I ignore you: you are a bad person. A genuinely bad and shameful human being. I have no good things to say about you and I hope we never interact ever again.
That bad eh? Is English your 1st language? I feel sorry for you if it is. :)

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Except Wicka is completely off base since the article is implying that, and I am not the only one who read it that way either:

Of course market demand is slow.

Orginally Posted by HP

Personal Systems net revenue was down 10% year over year (down 5% in constant currency) with a 3.5% operating margin. Commercial net revenue decreased 7% and Consumer net revenue decreased 16%. Total units were down 9% with Notebooks units down 6% and Desktops units down 10%.

Orginally Posted by Lenovo
In the PC Group or PCG, which includes PCs and Windows tablets, Lenovo’s quarterly sales were US$6.2 billion, with pre-tax income of US$312 million, down 20 percent year-over-year.

Orginally Posted by Gartner
9.6 percent drop in the overall market

Orginally Posted by IDC
Global PC shipments in 2016 are now expected to drop 7.3% from a year ago, according to data provided by International Data Corp.’s Worldwide Quarterly PC Tracker on Thursday. That compares with IDC’s previous forecast of a 5.4% decline.

For the first quarter, PC shipments tumbled 12.5%, compared with IDC’s forecast for an 11.3% decline, as unfavorable currency market movements, depressed commodities prices, political uncertainty and project delays have all contributed to suppress sales.

That marks the fourth consecutive quarter of volume declines in the double-digit percentage range. “This type of prolonged slump is unprecedented, and lowers the bar for some improvement going forward,” said Loren Loverde, vice president of world-wide tracker forecasting and PC research at IDC. “Unfortunately, the PC market still faces some persistent challenges, and for now, improvement continues to mean slower declines.”

Last edited:

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
Well, that's what you bolded in your quote. So I guess I have no idea what you are trying to say.
Well I can bring you up to speed. The demand in PC business is low everyone knows that. The demand for bulldozer is on a whole other level of low. It's just not a competitive product we all know that.

Article is implying this [low] demand is somehow part of the reason for Zen delay, which is simply nonsense.

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
I'm reporting him. No way a guy was quiet for 13 years to just spam half of his total postcount in this useless garbage OT.

Sure thing, AMD will wait until all those CPUs that didn't sell in the last 3 years find their new home. Good luck with that.

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
I'm reporting him. No way a guy was quiet for 13 years to just in a spam half of his total postcount in this useless garbage OT.

Sure thing, AMD will wait until all those CPUs that didn't sell in the last 3 years find their new home. Good luck with that.

+1

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Well I can bring you up to speed. The demand in PC business is low everyone knows that. The demand for bulldozer is on a whole other level of low. It's just not a competitive product we all know that.

Article is implying this [low] demand is somehow part of the reason for Zen delay, which is simply nonsense.

If the entire OEM supply chain is backed up with inventory of an old product they aren't going to want new product that obsoletes that inventory. HP doesn't care if the CPU comes from AMD or Intel if they have to clear their PC inventory, or meet their purchasing commitments to their suppliers. Purchase commitements that are made 6 - 12 months in advance.

They are PCs regardless of who makes the CPU. I think that's what is hanging you up, you think an AMD CPU PC is in a different market than an Intel CPU PC, but it's all one market which is seeing a historic decline.

"If you build it they will come" only works in movies. In the real world if you build it without having orders already in place you go broke.