Zen delayed to 2017 (DigiTimes)

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Sounds like the plan all along: 2016 sees limited volume. The article from the OP is just fluff.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Start selling at the end of the year. Yes, I'm sure they will do their best to claim a 2016 launch, even if only Lisa and her friends get to play with it this year.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
AMD said:
While we recognize we have more work to do, we believe that based on the ongoing ramps of our semi-custom SoCs, “Polaris” GPUs, and 7th Generation APUs we can deliver full year revenue growth in 2016 and non-
GAAP operating profitability in the second half of the year.

We also remain focused on delivering our roadmap of high- performance products and technologies, including “Zen” and our next-generation “Vega” GPU architecture that can drive long-term growth.

So they only mention semi-custom, Polaris and Bristol Ridge for H2-2016. Remain focused on delivering Zen and Vega (the latter confirmed to be a 2017 product).

Reactions: Drazick

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
AMD isn't honest about a Zen delay in my eyes. We sure can't buy Zen this year. The silence speaks for itself.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
AMD isn't honest about a Zen delay in my eyes. We sure can't buy Zen this year. The silence speaks for itself.
I feel that they can, but the stock will be count by only thousands.

Last edited:

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
AMD has been saying volume production Q1 2017 for awhile now. We might see some limited stock of it on desktop in Q4 2016.. but Zen is a beginning of 2017 product.

You can also bet those first Zen chips will cost a pretty penny.

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
I suspect that no matter how many of these they make, they can't possibly make enough to meet xmas demand.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I suspect that no matter how many of these they make, they can't possibly make enough to meet xmas demand.

That isn't a bad thing. Just look at how well the 480 is selling. I'm sure AMD would like to repeat that with AM4 Summit Ridge.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showpost.php?p=271639&postcount=1

As expected.....still AMD is not honest to us about the failed 2016 target.

So now it's officially 2017. Some people owe an apology to DigiTimes.

XA3NPwx_zpslwxv3ybs.png

Reactions: FatherMurphy

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
So we've basically got an 8 core broadwell chip coming in 2017. If the rumours of IPC are to be believed.

Im okay with this :)

Joepublic2

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2005
Nooooo. I was really hoping they could launch a competitive product this year. I don't want to live in an Intel only x86 world. :( I still remember when there were half a dozen companies that produced x86 chips. Cyrix, IDT/Winchip, VIA, IBM, NEC and others.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Nooooo. I was really hoping they could launch a competitive product this year. I don't want to live in an Intel only x86 world. :( I still remember when there were half a dozen companies that produced x86 chips. Cyrix, IDT/Winchip, VIA, IBM, NEC and others.
At this pace, ARM would be the future and we might deal with it, because Intel alone with x86 would end like IBM and Power PC. And we saw the first hints (the dissaster of Atom, the low IPC gains, the increasing costs of the products, etc) and the environment isn't better after all (Windows 10 trying to move to ARM with a massive failure, Apple using old products and deliver great results, etc).

Considering that AMD and VIA won't make in time, Intel alone would start to make mistakes that would affect even more the x86 environment.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
At this pace, ARM would be the future and we might deal with it, because Intel alone with x86 would end like IBM and Power PC. And we saw the first hints (the dissaster of Atom, the low IPC gains, the increasing costs of the products, etc) and the environment isn't better after all (Windows 10 trying to move to ARM with a massive failure, Apple using old products and deliver great results, etc).

Considering that AMD and VIA won't make in time, Intel alone would start to make mistakes that would affect even more the x86 environment.

If Intel and MS play it right they could still keep their unofficial alliance going strong for business use just like once blackberry. If you phone can also be your computer and you can just dock it and work on a bigger screen like a normal computer, that sounds pretty great to me for all manager type persons. It obviously greatly depends on MS delivering a usable surface phone.