Question Zen 4 builders thread

Page 53 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Apparently the first boot takes much longer, but does it keep doing that for every subsequent boot? It takes 10-15 seconds to reach Windows on Z490 for me, but my old Z97 used to take less than 5 seconds.

I wonder if that USB problem is board-specific, but yea I would revert back to my old setup if I ran into that. It seemed like 50% of AMD users were having problems with the G2 headset, which works perfectly for me right now on Z490. I was looking at the Asus B650E-E board, which seems pretty well featured and a better deal than the X670E ones.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
From powered-off state to the Windows desktop, I just timed 1 minute and 10 seconds. This is with 4 DIMMs, though, and it might be shorter with 2 sticks.

I am unaware with a USB problem but then again I do not use a headset, so can't comment on it.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
From powered-off state to the Windows desktop, I just timed 1 minute and 10 seconds. This is with 4 DIMMs, though, and it might be shorter with 2 sticks.

I am unaware with a USB problem but then again I do not use a headset, so can't comment on it.
How much effort, to poweroff, remove 2 stick and try it again ! I would love to see that with a real timed set.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
B660 DDR4 is quicker for sure. I had not timed it but I did not think much of it (boot times) in comparison to X470.

I wonder why my comments always leave such large empty space below?

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I wish I could fast forward 12 months just to see what can be fixed about boot times and memory with AGESA revisions. Right now it feels like we're just making guesses about limitations of the platform.
It does not bother me, one minute to boot every few months ? Just put it to sleep when you are not using it.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
That doesn't bother me at all, my annoyances are with tweaking and overclocking, where I will some times have to wait a very long time to figure out if any changes will actually post or not. Also, my very stable settings that have been verified in several official BIOSes will refuse to even post with some beta BIOSes. I'm not complaining, I just don't think we're at Zen3 maturity yet.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
I recall when Windows 8 used to advertise fast boot times as a key feature. It feels like we have regressed a lot from that.
To be fair boot time of OSes is still lightning fast (mainly thanks to NVMe etc.). What regressed is the time POST requires for initializing the hardware, especially RAM training AMD introduced on AM4 and appears to have aggravated on AM5.

IMO something's clearly wrong there and it's odd that not more is being talked about that.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
To be fair boot time of OSes is still lightning fast (mainly thanks to NVMe etc.). What regressed is the time POST requires for initializing the hardware, especially RAM training AMD introduced on AM4 and appears to have aggravated on AM5.

IMO something's clearly wrong there and it's odd that not more is being talked about that.

I'm looking at the POST time + time spent on the Windows loading screen. Basically until the time when the mouse cursor and desktop show up (but before startup apps load). Both of these things went up a lot over the years.

Reactions: moinmoin

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
If you use EXPO settings, you lose the Sleep function (at least I do). Is that the same for everyone else?

Something must not be getting alone with memory timings. Or maybe the board is changing something that it is not supposed to. Have you tried entering EXPO values manually? My understanding is that they are not that special anyway. It's mostly primary timings or primary+secondary timings that memory vendors program, and the motherboard does the rest.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Something must not be getting alone with memory timings. Or maybe the board is changing something that it is not supposed to. Have you tried entering EXPO values manually? My understanding is that they are not that special anyway. It's mostly primary timings or primary+secondary timings that memory vendors program, and the motherboard does the rest.
it changes all sorts of memory voltages, all sorts of timings, memory speed and a couple other things. Its WAY easier to use it on EXPO memory than trying to set it yourself. I have an EXP 6600 kit that I paid $400 for (way before the chip was available) and could not get it to run better than 5800 or 5600. The EXPO kit of 6000 CL30, I set it (one click) on 3 different motherboards, and all 3 have worked perfectly ever since.

Thor86

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
I'm not certain why boot times are an issue now. My Asus board had a setting to stop training after the initial one. Expo settings and sleep work no problems either.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
I'm looking at the POST time + time spent on the Windows loading screen. Basically until the time when the mouse cursor and desktop show up (but before startup apps load). Both of these things went up a lot over the years.
I see. I'm not a Windows user so I didn't know Microsoft was slacking in that aspect as well.