Question Zen 4 builders thread

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tuna-Fish

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2011
Or get a PCIE 4.0 smaller than optimal, but good enough for 2 months. Like 256 gig.

I'll probably just get a good, cheap PCIe 4.0 for the OS drive/starter, and then when DirectStorage is actually a thing, get a 5.0 one and put the games on it. I doubt there is much need for an even faster SSD for any other purpose.

Jul 27, 2020
cl40 for the memory ? that sucks. And 980 pro is good, but the SK hynix P41 platinum is the way to go for NVME
Just giving him options in case he wants to save money. (That 1480 TBW endurance rating isn't bad for a 2TB SSD).

He can't find P41 where he lives. Maybe he can find some of the other reputable NVMe brands/models.

EDIT: https://www.amazon.ae/Seagate-FireCuda-Internal-transfer-ZP4000GM3A013/dp/B0971DZ4YF/

That takes the cake for TBW sweetness. More than 5 petabytes!

Data Sheet: WD_BLACK SN850 NVMe SSD (westerndigital.com)

SN850 2TB endurance is somewhat acceptable at 1200 TBW. The 1TB model's endurance is just yuck and cash grab move by WD. Seems Samsung is doing the same with their 980 Pro 1 TB model, too :mad: But at least, I've seen reports of Samsung NAND sustaining a lot more writes beyond its rated endurance.

1400TBW: https://www.amazon.ae/Corsair-MP600-NVMe-PCIe-Gen4/dp/B09Q2NCFS7/

Last edited:

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
I'll probably just get a good, cheap PCIe 4.0 for the OS drive/starter, and then when DirectStorage is actually a thing, get a 5.0 one and put the games on it. I doubt there is much need for an even faster SSD for any other purpose.

Getting 4.0 disk is very likely an option, thats true. It kinda sucks though, to get new PCIe 5 mobo and then missing on one of major performance advantages it provides aside of DDR5.

Regarding games, i dont care about them as much, i mean they always excite me, i am looking forward to SoaSE 2, Homeworld 3, Falling Frontier, even new Call of Duty...but i dont game a lot. Past few weeks/months i started to experience pain and discomfort in the neck radiating into shoulder area and entire right arm, which i hold mouse with (despite being leftie otherwise), probably some disk issues in the neck, anyway i tried not to use computer more than i have to (for work) and this probably wont change soon.

Still, i want to get new disk for games, since currently i use 512GB Samsung 860 and new games went completely crazy with size, so i want to go bigger. Question is, whether to get another 1TB nvme (4.0 or 5.0 depending on price or availability, possibly the same one as for the system) or 2TB regular SATA SSD, which might be slower, but since i dont care that much about that... 2x the capacity could be nice. 1TB i still might find insufficient down the road.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Blasphemy if true. So even if i get shiny new rig with Zen4 and Lovelace already by October, i would need to wait another month or 2 for the SSD, which is a critical part, since its gonna be system disk.
At that point i might as well wait for new year for 3D chips.

Overall i am bit annoyed by lack of availability of some stuff around here - i mean things i want are not stock. Pretty much no 64GB DDR5 kits, definitely not 6000 ones, have trouble finding Fractal Design 7XL in my country, this thing with 5.0 SSDs months away, no PSUs with 2x new connector available either... by this rate my build will be complete in April next year.

Same. I need to upgrade my SSD to a 4TB model, and I don't want to buy a PCIE Gen 4 when the board supports Gen 5. Also annoyed that everything will be dropping right around launch (AMD optimized memory, motherboards, etc)

My current build has a Sabrent Rocket 4.0 Plus. I've had good luck with Sabrent drives in general (I have two, the Rocket 4.0 plus and the Rocket). Definitely wasn't cheap when I bought it, however (looks like the 2tb is $300 on Amazon)

Jul 27, 2020
Past few weeks/months i started to experience pain and discomfort in the neck radiating into shoulder area and entire right arm, which i hold mouse with (despite being leftie otherwise), probably some disk issues in the neck,
Better take that seriously. It can become life threatening and life altering if any disc slips or *shudder* breaks.

Improve posture.
Do a full body stretch first thing in the morning, like cats do.
Take up swimming.
Do squats (help the whole spine align properly).
Take deep breaths. They help to lubricate spinal discs.
Sleep on your sides. Avoid sleeping on the back with belly up.
Fetal position is good for decompressing the spine.
Brisk walking or running is good for the muscles surrounding your spine.
Keep yourself well hydrated. Dehydration can lead to stiff discs.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
Better take that seriously. It can become life threatening and life altering if any disc slips or *shudder* breaks.

Improve posture.
Do a full body stretch first thing in the morning, like cats do.
Take up swimming.
Do squats (help the whole spine align properly).
Take deep breaths. They help to lubricate spinal discs.
Sleep on your sides. Avoid sleeping on the back with belly up.
Fetal position is good for decompressing the spine.
Brisk walking or running is good for the muscles surrounding your spine.
Keep yourself well hydrated. Dehydration can lead to stiff discs.

Thank you. I started to do a bit of basic exercising/stretching pretty much every day, as you suggest, and i will probably go visit some orthopedist or something.
Actually since yesterday the neck pain is gone, but now, for a change, i feel like my arms are aching, as if i had muscle fatigue on them.

Sorry about being off-topic with this.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Der8aur - temps on delidded 7000
under test load, from 95C to 65C !

i find it f******* ridiculous that companies like AMD and Intel can produce these amazing chips, and then fail ridiculously at things as basic as producing a flat Heatspreader, or applying properly the thermal compound.

Reactions: Drazick

Det0x

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2014
Der8aur - temps on delidded 7000
under test load, from 95C to 65C !

i find it f******* ridiculous that companies like AMD and Intel can produce these amazing chips, and then fail ridiculously at things as basic as producing a flat Heatspreader, or applying properly the thermal compound.
The problem is IHS thickness. They made it like that to keep cooler combability for the average user.. (except they need new mounting screws anyway!)
We play the price for this

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
That is insane temp differences after delidding. I wonder if AMD can rework the CPU packaging a bit for the next gen by making substrate a bit thicker and IHS a bit thinner.

Personally I would probably just put 7950x in ECO mode. If computerbase results are true, I'd be perfectly fine losing 5% performance difference in exchange for 30% reduction in power and better temps. I already reduce power envelope for my 3070, at 80% power limit I only lose about 5% performance, more than worth it to me for lower heat and noise.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
That is insane temp differences after delidding. I wonder if AMD can rework the CPU packaging a bit for the next gen by making substrate a bit thicker and IHS a bit thinner.

Personally I would probably just put 7950x in ECO mode. If computerbase results are true, I'd be perfectly fine losing 5% performance difference in exchange for 30% reduction in power and better temps. I already reduce power envelope for my 3070, at 80% power limit I only lose about 5% performance, more than worth it to me for lower heat and noise.
The thick IHS is to make it compatible with AM4 coolers, so I can see why they did this, thats HUGE for them. But yes, my 7950x will most likely get the -0.1 vcore or the 105 watt ECO mode.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
The thick IHS is to make it compatible with AM4 coolers, so I can see why they did this, thats HUGE for them. But yes, my 7950x will most likely get the -0.1 vcore or the 105 watt ECO mode.
Which is why I said make IHS a bit thinner and CPU substrate a bit thicker for the same final IHS height.